Is reloading 9mm cost effective?

opinions vary.   Some say factor in your time's value, but when I am not at work, the rest of my time pays me zero / hour.   I could spend it on the internet, making 0/hour, or I could reload a box of ammo, and while making 0/hour I am saving 10 bucks or more per hour (again, at 15-20 min/ box, thats multiple boxes to save 10 bucks).

Reloading is a chore for me.  Its fun at times -- I really enjoy making a new load from scratch, esp when its something offbeat.   But making 500 rounds of 9mm is about as boring as it gets.  Thankfully I can break it up into many small sessions.   But its no longer a hobby, Ive made enough rounds that the new wore off and pulling the handle 150 times is no longer terribly interesting.    Its just part of it, like cleaning my guns: if I want to shoot, I gotta have ammo.  I could make some and have 50-100% more of higher quality ammo or I can buy it.   Given that the time I would 'lose' to make it is just eating into time that is largely wasted playing video games or reading or something,  its no brainer to convert a little of my free time into this minor chore a few times a week.   But circumstances vary a lot .. I have a fair amount of free time. 

opinions vary. Some say factor in your time's value, but when I am not at work, the rest of my time pays me zero / hour. I could spend it on the internet, making 0/hour, or I could reload a box of ammo, and while making 0/hour I am saving 10 bucks or more per hour (again, at 15-20 min/ box, thats multiple boxes to save 10 bucks).

Reloading is a chore for me. Its fun at times -- I really enjoy making a new load from scratch, esp when its something offbeat. But making 500 rounds of 9mm is about as boring as it gets. Thankfully I can break it up into many small sessions. But its no longer a hobby, Ive made enough rounds that the new wore off and pulling the handle 150 times is no longer terribly interesting. Its just part of it, like cleaning my guns: if I want to shoot, I gotta have ammo. I could make some and have 50-100% more of higher quality ammo or I can buy it. Given that the time I would 'lose' to make it is just eating into time that is largely wasted playing video games or reading or something, its no brainer to convert a little of my free time into this minor chore a few times a week. But circumstances vary a lot .. I have a fair amount of free time.

Great way of explaining that! I've reached the same point as you. Just cranking out plinking ammo is a chore, but I do enjoy load development. With the ridiculously cheap ammo I've stocked up on the last few months, my press is collecting dust. Also, it's garden season so my free time is spent outside playing in the dirt. When winter rolls around I'll most likely be back in the garage making buckets of range fodder.
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say reloading is fun, but it's definitely satisfying. If I ever stop feeling a sense of independence and satisfaction from ammo that I didn't have to go buy, it'll be a sad day for me and a lonely future for my reloading equipment. Until then, even if I only break even on cost, I'm still getting something out of it that I can't get by driving to Walmart.

I wrangled with the cost question for 20+ years, and never did nothing.  When Sandy happened, and there was no ammo to be had, I threw out the concern, and went with the model if I want to shoot, then I need the supplies, tools, and know how to reload.  I dove in and spent well over $1,500 in dies, presses, tumblers, and supplies within 2-3 weeks of Sandy.

Fast forward to now, I went from 0 experience to a shade tree guy with basic skills virtually over night.  I can reload for all of my pistols and rifles (except 22 of course).   My mileage meter says that I have reloaded ~3,000 rounds on a single press spread over many calibers and straight to necked brass.  I only reload what I plan to shoot, with no extras.

So reflecting, from a cost point of view:  If I do not factor in my investment costs of the press, dies, tumbler or the cost the brass, and just focus on the expendable costs of the bullet and powder, it becomes very close if not slightly better than what I can pay for ammo at my locally Walmart.  But I will tell you, the experience, the time, and sure focus of the mind, is very relaxing and rewarding, more than I expected, and that was not even a consideration at the time.  I wished I had discovered this hobby 20 years ago, instead of considering if it saved me pennies.

• Like 3

There's something about operating the press, feeling the operation taking place inside the die, and piling up boxes of sparkling ammo, that is intangible. 

If there's a box of 9mm aviable for $7/50 rounds, I would seriously question the quality. I am an accuracy nut and I don't produce foreign-grade crap, ever, not even if I'm just shooting at steel. I would need to shoot a couple of 10 shot groups off a rest, side by side with my reloads to be convinced it's not the "chicken nugget" scrap leftover that I think it is. Some people think a shotgun pattern the size of a dinner plate at 15 yards is good shooting. To me, good shooting WITH A GOOD LOAD is a tight cluster at 15 yards and consistent hits on a torso at 120 yards offhand.

But, some people just want to pull the trigger indiscrimanently, to feel the recoil and see an impact. That's fine. There'll be more components on the shelf when I need them. I don't stock up. I buy only what I need, leave the rest for the next reloader, and hopefully there'll be some there in month after a few more shipments. So far, I haven't had an issue. 

Casting bullets and dry tumble powder coating is always cheaper than buying bullets that are ready to load. There are so many online bullet manufacturers who are never out of stock. In my experience, primers of every category are always in stock at my local reloading stores - maybe not the brand you want, but something will be there. For example, Federal 210 Match large rifle primers will be sold out, but Winchester LRPs are always there. So the limiting factor truly is, powder. Get an 8lb jug and you'll be getting at least one pound free, that will last at least one year or at least 12,000 9mm rounds.

The cheapest I've ever seen factory ammo go for is $10.50 or so for Tula steel-cased 9mm. With copper plated bullets, each box of 50 reloads runs me right at or under $7. I'm not going to include the breakdown for lead bullets since the OP has concerns shooting them out of his factory Glock barrel. By the way, I dropped in a Storm Lake barrel in my G17 and it works great for cast lead. Time wise, which is insignificant to me, takes me around 11 minutes to load 50 rounds. I usually shoot 300 pistol rounds each session so it takes me about an hour to load for each range trip. An hour of relaxation, that is.

I don't know anyone who only owns one weapon that is a 9mm. The cost savings from reloading goes up with additional calibers, JHP self-defense reloads (another can of worms I won't open right now), and match-grade hi-power rifle reloads like i make for my .308. I originally began reloading to save money on .223. So now I can make match-grade .223 for $6 per 20 round box, where it would cost me around $20 per box of 20 for "match-grade" ammo that isn't tailored to my rifle.

So to everyone reading this, please buy factory ammo and do NOT consider reloading  :yuck: (joke). I hope I'm not sounding like a snob because I'm not trying to. My best advice for the OP is to track down a buddy or a member, go to their house, and have them supervise you while you reload ammo that you are going to shoot. If you like it, there's your answer. Get into reloading 9mm. If you hate it, then go to Wally World every morning at 7am and hope they have Perfecta fodder. Now that I think about it, the time you spend trying to track down a box of cheap factory ammo, you could've already loaded it.

Another cheap alternative would be to buy reloads online from licensed FFLs. You can get a box of 50 relods from these guys for $10 in a free ammo can, if you buy in bulk. $300/1500

https://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/handgun-reloads/lax-ammunition-reloaded-9mm-115gr.-1500-round-w-free-can/22-225

'it depends'.

with my turret press, I can make a box of 9 in 15-20 min.

if we can assume brass is free -- that is, you can pick it up somewhere and don't mind doing so, that helps a ton with costs.

if we assume you can shoot lead projectiles (no jacket) that helps a ton as well.  (if you clean after, even polygon rifled barrels are fine with (slightly hardened) lead, but if you are a glock guy, be aware of the issue !!!).

With those in mind, you are now talking powder, primer, and a cheap bullet... you should be able to make a box for about 50% or so of factory, talking 8 bucks a box roughly.   Now 8 bucks vs the bottom shelf steel cased Russian junk or other garbage ammo is not huge savings, but if you did it right, yours will have consistent powder charges and will be more reliable and accurate (if you really want performance, you can weigh each bullet and put the ones that are outside the average off to the side to make "junk" ammo for high speed short range self defense drills).   Your ammo will be at least (assuming fairly inexpensive reloading gear and a high rate of production, rather than hand crafting each round)  above mid-grade quality for between 2/3 to 1/2 the price you were paying for either junk or mid-grade (depending on what you were buying before).   Think about it :)

The progressive press can turn out about 400 in 30 minutes.

• 2 months later...

There is a difference when you choose to reload JHP for accuracy. I only load Montana Gold Hollow points. Why? because I choose to practice with what I carry. If a MG JHP feeds in my carry gun, then I'm comfortable that my gun will run my carry ammo. The cost difference isn't that great, and the quality is top notch.  Try buying 50 - 100 rounds of JHP point to take to the range. You'll see the value immediately.

Just sayin....

Dafadda

Edited by Dafadda

During the time I was retired, I had lots of time to reload and shoot.  Since I'm working again, time reloading is time I could be at the range.

Though I don't spend time reloading, I continue to save my brass and take comfort knowing I have an adequate supply of ammo and components to last a long time.

bullet 7.7 cents

Black Bullets International 115 gr $77/1000

powder 1.1 cents

Titegroup $20/pound = 7000 grains/4.0 grains per round

primer 3 cents

brand-take your pick

brass -free

Adds up to 11.8 cents per round/$5.90per box of 50.  It's been a LONG time since I've seen any 9mm ammo near that.  Buy the case of 3800 bullets and the price drops to 10.4 cents per round.  Titegroup hard to find nowadays?  Fine, get some 231, WST, AA 5, Universal, Clays, etc.  Go in with some buddies to split hazmat fees or participate in a group order like some ranges/clubs do.  MSSA periodically makes a huge order from Gamaliel.  Reloading is still cheaper. 

No. Reloading 9mm is NOT cost effective, but then again, neither having a baby or buying a new car.

I can't reload 9mm much cheaper than you can buy it in bulk; especially if you consider time valuable.

I can, however, make a much higher quality ammo than you'll get at your local big box store.

Edited by gregintenn

If you count in the cost of your time, it is not cost-effective.  Otherwise, it is.  Also, if you can tolerate the dirty steel-case ammo, it may not be cost-effective.  But with decent brass-cased 9mm ammo running about $250/1000rds, I can reload for about half that using copper-plated 124gr bullets. 

Generally, I buy when the ammo is cheap and save my brass and anyone elses that is willing to give it away.  When ammo is expensive or hard to find, I bring out the five-gallon buckets and start reloading.

• Administrator

This exactly. With Perfecta at $7/box right now there is simply no point in reloading 9 today, assuming you can find the ammo in stock. As prices rise from that point, it is simply an equation of how you value your time and what you are trying to achieve by reloading.

True, but always save your brass.  At the rate things are going with our government, there may come a day when you can't buy new ammo at reasonable prices... or at all.

• Like 1
I heard that. That's one thing I try to watch closely... don't like making folks angry. A few weeks ago I was just playing close attention to where my 10MM was landing, and surveying the area after every couple mags as the stuff was often landing 3-4 lanes away. One dude got mad saying I was taking his 45. I grinned and showed him my handful of hot 10. He picked one up, looked at it and sheepishly said "Oh, sorry!... Here." He went through the little pile he was collecting and handed my a few of MY 10s he had snagged! Haha! We were cool after that and I pushed his brass towards him, and he watched closely for any more of my 10. :-) Edited by musicman
  • Like 2

It's hard to tell my 9mm and 45acp brass from anyone else's, so I try to keep an eye out for somebody throwing theirs away. Once I tell them I can't afford to shoot much unless I take mine back home and reload it, I wind up with mine and theirs too. Even when that don't work, I break even on brass.

That being the case, when I find deals, I stock up and that puts me at around $6 for 50 rounds when I shoot good lead bullets and around $7.25 when I shoot copper plated bullets. Anything under $10 for 50 rounds means I'm shooting brass reloads instead of buying steel ammo...that's a win in my book.

It's hard to tell my 9mm and 45acp brass from anyone else's, so I try to keep an eye out for somebody throwing theirs away. Once I tell them I can't afford to shoot much unless I take mine back home and reload it, I wind up with mine and theirs too. Even when that don't work, I break even on brass.

Hahaha!!! YESSSS! That. Exactly!
  • Like 1

My only problem with that is people who pick up MY brass when I'm shooting.  Told a guy today to leave my 45ACP brass alone.   :)

I had that problem with my 6.8 ammo.  The person who tried to pick it up probably had never seen this caliber before.

I primarily use scrounged range brass for handloading. But I only scrounge abandoned range brass....I mean stuff left at the range that will otherwise get stomped into the dirt if I don't pick it up.

I realize that handloaders are a minority...but I look at brass lying abandoned on the ground as money left lying there. Being that I work for a living I appreciate that donation to my limited funds. :pleased:

But I could never understand someone trying to take another person's property...i.e. brass belonging to someone else. I was raised better than that.

I don't shoot at public indoor ranges at this time. I would imagine that could get confusing, a downright PIA at times. I consider myself lucky for being able to avoid that.

I too consider my time as an investment, and value my time. But even factoring that in, since we started casting and PC'ing our own, we still save significantly...and therefore shoot significantly more without suffering pangs of guilt. :up:  ( "we" as in a group of us that share the time and labor.)

• Like 1

I only shoot JHP (yes, it's more expensive, but it is what it is.... I prefer to practice with what I carry) my cost for Montana Gold JHP 115 grain is .09 cents. Free brass. .03 for primer. powder is 23.00 per pound. Total cost per box of 50 is $6.80.  

You might compare that price to Perfecta on sale, or blazer, Federal or Tulaammo.... at say 10-12 per box of 50 (when not on sale). But it is not a real comparison. If you compare apples to apples, you would have to compare my JHP rounds to Winchester or Remington bulk JHP, ranging from 140- 180 for a box of 300.  That works out to about $23 dollars a box of 50.

So.... for $6.80/50 I get handcrafted JHP, tailored for my pistol, using a premium 115 grain bullet, or I get bulk for $23/50.

All this said, I can tell you that my ammo and my guns will all outshoot me on my best day, but since I only load JHP, I am assured that my guns will always run JHP flawlessly.  Peace of mind. OH... and since I'm shooting jacketed rounds... I don't need another barrel for a Glock.

Just my 2 cents...

DaFadda

p.s. in a previous post, a response was that the ballistics on MG bullets isn't up to the current standard for "carry ammo".  I can't agree or disagree, because I simply don't know about the ballistics....but I don't carry my handloads. I practice with them. I carry commercial ammo. 

Edited by Dafadda
  • Like 1

It's hard to tell my 9mm and 45acp brass from anyone else's

heh.  I wish I could see the looks on the faces of folks that nab my "9mm" which have been cut down for my Makarov...  I know they didn't take it on purpose, but its a pain to bulk trim and this gives me a little "revenge" :)   Bullet won't really seat in it, and I imagine some head scratching.

heh.  I wish I could see the looks on the faces of folks that nab my "9mm" which have been cut down for my Makarov...  I know they didn't take it on purpose, but its a pain to bulk trim and this gives me a little "revenge" :)   Bullet won't really seat in it, and I imagine some head scratching.

I know exactly what you mean. Losing some sucks after all that work trimming and sizing and deburring and all. Even when you manage to get 4 out of 5 of my homemade Makarovs back home safe, sorting from regular 9mm takes a keen eye. I finally got tired of the sorting and tossed the clean Makarov brass in some red machinist dye. It worked like a charm and stays on for a long time.

added: It's a lot easier to ask folks at the range to leave the red ones alone too.

Edited by BigK