Open Carry at Walmart

I'm not against open carry, the way I carry the bottom of my holster sometimes shows but so far no one has said anything about it. That's one of my main reasons to try to conceal, I always thought that there was that really crazy meth head who would want to take your handgun, like having a big wad of cash clipped to your side. Seems that maybe better situational awarness might not have let the situation get that far also. Another reason and i'll admit it, I really don't want to listen to some annoying busy body anti-gun soccer mom b!tch and rant about my gun, I would rather just have a pleasant shopping experience that to argue with a brick wall.

• Like 1

I saw a guy open carrying in a restaurant at lunch last week.  The image it presented was rather comical IMO.  I saw a few folks notice, but no one did more than roll their eyes or shake their head.  This restaurant is frequented by detective types (cops not in formal uniform) and National Guard folks.  Even my wife said "really?". 

• Like 2
Open carry is sometimes OK if the person is aware that his gun is a gift to anyone who wants it, and takes appropriate steps to safeguard it. But a lot of OC guys are under the misimpression that the sight of a visible pistol scares badguys off, and that leads to real carelessness. If you go to a restaurant in a certain adjacent state on a Sunday around noon, you'll see men sitting on the outside seat of booths with their pistols dangling out in the aisle for all to see and/or grab, and they are oblivious to passing foot traffic. A guy sat across the aisle from me completely lost in conversation dangling a Smith Model 15 out in the aisle in an old police suicide bucket holster and I could have gotten up and taken it away from him with the greatest of ease. Some of these guys just don't seem to realize that a common cause of cops getting shot is seizure of their sidearms by badguys. Edited by EssOne
I was eating at lunch on the way to the NRA convention and saw a guy and wife carrying. The wife wasn't trying to hide her Glock in the 45° cant Uncle Mike's holster. The husband was attempting to conceal his under a tight fitting t shirt, wasn't working for him though. Comical sight at best.

I just think that open carry is another word for open target, "shoot me first" in a robbery or just an open invite to have someone try and take the gun such as in this report. Had the bad guy landed a good head shot with the bat he would have possibly killed the guy and got his gun at the same time....................jmho

• Like 3

I just think that open carry is another word for open target, "shoot me first" in a robbery or just an open invite to have someone try and take the gun such as in this report. Had the bad guy landed a good head shot with the bat he would have possibly killed the guy and got his gun at the same time....................jmho

Completely agree. I would love to open carry for the comfort aspect; but I never do because of the very reason you mentioned above.

I was eating at lunch on the way to the NRA convention and saw a guy and wife carrying. The wife wasn't trying to hide her Glock in the 45° cant Uncle Mike's holster. The husband was attempting to conceal his under a tight fitting t shirt, wasn't working for him though. Comical sight at best.

Saw a guy carrying exactly like that at the Cool Springs Five Guys one day. Don't understand why someone would carry that way.

Isn't it better to carry a poorly concealed firearm than go unarmed?

Saw a guy carrying exactly like that at the Cool Springs Five Guys one day. Don't understand why someone would carry that way.

• Like 1

Isn't it better to carry a poorly concealed firearm than go unarmed?

Ordinarily I would say yes, but I think that changes when it comes to the really rickety old men I see doing the open carry thing - and who couldn't fight off a rampaging chipmunk if their lives depended on it, much less get off a competent shot. Under that specific circumstance, they should prolly leave the gun in their sock drawer at home.

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 1

Ordinarily I would say yes, but I think that changes when it comes to the really rickety old men I see doing the open carry thing - and who couldn't fight off a rampaging chipmunk if their lives depended on it, much less get off a competent shot. Under that specific circumstance, they should prolly leave the gun in their sock drawer at home.

I've heard several times that it's not smart to mess with an old man. When they're too old to fight and too slow to run, their only option is to kill you. Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 9

I don't always open carry but when I do I always use my Uncle Mike's nylon tactical holster and a clip my "concealed carry permit holder" badge to my belt.  Most people just assume I'm a cop.

Do you also carry 10-12 spare mags in a shoot me first vest? :rofl:

I don't always open carry but when I do I always use my Uncle Mike's nylon tactical holster and a clip my "concealed carry permit holder" badge to my belt. Most people just assume I'm a cop.

No doubt this is in response to s minor rant from the other day.

The Benefactor box had a nice HCP badge in it and someone took it out. Personally I feel it is borderline impersonating an officer to display a badge. To me it all depends on how they look and dress. An older, bearded guy that is overweight with coveralls will not be mistaken for an officer while young clean shaven man, that looks fit, dressed in 5.11 clothing with their pistol on their side and a HCP will easily be confused for an officer. Those that feel the need to wear a badge while wearing cop garb have crossed over that line IMHO.

I seen a gentleman wearing a shoulder holster the other day. My wife and I had a bit of a chuckle over it but in the end I will support his right even though it is not something I would do. I will say I do not like being around others that wear shoulder holsters because the muzzle points right at the person behind them.

There are some who carry to impress or to try to get respect rather than for self defense. I am talking about those that carry a firearm that is not even close to being capable of use for self defense. Saw a guy carrying in Walmart. He had a single action revolver on his hip and it was obvious he was one of those "hey look at me" types. What he was carrying was a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 magnum but that did not make me think he was carrying for attention. What did was the fact the pistol had a barrel that was at least 12" long and it was in a holster like you would see in an old western movie. Pretty sure he had it tied off around his leg like most "gun fighters" do in the movies. The holster embossing on the leather and had spare cartridges in the loops in the belt. And that setup was nothing more than a means to draw as much as attention as possible. The caliber is way to powerful to be used in a populated area and gun was way to big to draw easily.
  • Like 4

No doubt this is in response to s minor rant from the other day.

The Benefactor box had a nice HCP badge in it and someone took it out. Personally I feel it is borderline impersonating an officer to display a badge. To me it all depends on how they look and dress. An older, bearded guy that is overweight with coveralls will not be mistaken for an officer while young clean shaven man, that looks fit, dressed in 5.11 clothing with their pistol on their side and a HCP will easily be confused for an officer. Those that feel the need to wear a badge while wearing cop garb have crossed over that line IMHO.

I seen a gentleman wearing a shoulder holster the other day. My wife and I had a bit of a chuckle over it but in the end I will support his right even though it is not something I would do. I will say I do not like being around others that wear shoulder holsters because the muzzle points right at the person behind them.

There are some who carry to impress or to try to get respect rather than for self defense. I am talking about those that carry a firearm that is not even close to being capable of use for self defense. Saw a guy carrying in Walmart. He had a single action revolver on his hip and it was obvious he was one of those "hey look at me" types. What he was carrying was a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 magnum but that did not make me think he was carrying for attention. What did was the fact the pistol had a barrel that was at least 12" long and it was in a holster like you would see in an old western movie. Pretty sure he had it tied off around his leg like most "gun fighters" do in the movies. The holster embossing on the leather and had spare cartridges in the loops in the belt. And that setup was nothing more than a means to draw as much as attention as possible. The caliber is way to powerful to be used in a populated area and gun was way to big to draw easily.

I carry in a shoulder holster from time to time, but its an old style vertical. The horizontal ones always make me uncomfortable flagging everyone in sight. And if I have a shoulder holster on then I am on my motorcycle and that means I have a vest on to cover it. I support open carry and practice it from time to time depending on the situation. Im probably gonna get shot first anyways. 6"1', 240 lbs, covered in military tattooos and usually carrying a lg fixed blade knife. And according to your wife I always look either scary or angry. I would shoot me first lol. As far as an Hcp badge they make no sense to me, and they concern me about being used in court in an impersonating an officer case

I hear a lot of "nobody notices open carry", "you could carry a howitzer and most wouldn't notice", etc. I think most of those folks are actually "almost" carrying concealed, with service size heater or smaller tight to side with at least a shirt covering half of it or more.

Carrying a gat completely open with tucked in shirt and no jacket or whatever is going to be noticed, simple as that. I know because I've done it, and have gotten that attention. By what overall percentage depending on size of the thing and whatnot is debatable, but doesn't matter to me if it's only 1 in 20, I simply don't want the attention.

I also hear the "it's so much more comfortable" and "most expedient way to deploy" claims, and there's a lot of truth in that -- however, whether you mean it as such or not, a completely exposed roscoe is also an attention getting statement. And gawd knows based on the appearance of some folks I see doing it, not one that conveys a positive image to the average John Q in any way, either. (I'll include myself in that category at times, btw).

All that being said, of course I support your right to do it. But I'll stay in gray man mode myself, for a variety of reasons.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4