Kayaking in Tennessee

Elk River from Tim's Ford Dam down is a great float, Harpeth is fun just don't go after a heavy rain until you have some seat time under your belt as it has some fun sections in high water, Duck River, Piney River near Dixson, Caney Fork under Center Hill Dam, ect.  The narrows of the Harpeth are great if you are by yourself because the put in and take out are very close to each other, no need for two vehicles.

My favorite boats....

Native Ultimate 12 or Ultimate 14.5  (about 50-60lbs, awesome all around boat)

Native Slayer 12 or 14'  (sit on top, great for fishing or camping, a little heavy at about 80-90lb I think)

Jackson Big Rig 13' (Favorite fishing boat, almost 100lbs, so not easy to transport but you can stand up it in all day if you want)

If you don't care much about fishing then some of the cheaper boats are fine.  You do get what you pay for in a Kayak though.  Just don't get anything smaller than 12'...it will steer great but will be slow to paddle...just my $02.  

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

I'm kayak shopping right now myself. I'm borrowing a buddy's Perception Pescador this weekend and will try out another friend's Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 next weekend.

Fred, the Pescador is built on the same mold as the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 12. The Pescador is a couple hundred bucks less, but the features in the Tarpon are way better. The seat alone is worth the price after a full day on the water.

I was in a Moken 14 for a while, which was great offshore boat. I just bit the bullet and stepped up to a Hobie Pro Angler.

We've got a veritable stable of boats and paddle boards at our house that see a lot of use. Part of the reason for that is introducing new people to the water. I'll extend the offer to any Benefactor in good standing to try any of them out any time.

• Like 2
A great spot is the section of the Harpeth by Tip-a-canoe. There's a section where you can basically put in and walk back from the take out. Making it easy to do by yourself if you have a kayak cart (recommended regardless).

Plus it's probably the highest traffic area of the local rivers which is a good thing when your starting out.

Put in:
http://goo.gl/maps/s1mS6

Take out:
http://goo.gl/maps/H157o

PFD, GET ONE. WEAR IT.

I have personally saved my life with mine.

I have witnessed one save my friend when I couldn't get to him in time.
  • Like 1

If anyone that fishes Stones River would be willing to let me tag (yak) along, please PM me.  I have only had my jackson kilroy out once since I got it last Christmas on Priest but would love to try out Stones.  I have a truck with rack to help out with drop off/ pick up.  I'm usually off one or two weekdays each week.

thanks

Edited by ac3boyz

I've been a whitewater kayaker for about 35 years now. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I was drawn to move to TN. I would come here every year from flat water Florida, to the glorious mountains of E. TN to paddle the rivers.

I will tell you that there are quite a few different styles of kayaks, and you really need to decide what kind of kayaker you want to be. You cannot take a kayak designed for the lake down a whitewater river, and you will be miserable taking a whitewater kayak on a lake since it would be sluggish and have a tendency to turn all the time.

Here are the basic styles of kayaks. try to figure out what is your main goal and go from there.

Fishing (will have rod holders and a place to put fish and tackle)

Touring / Lakes (will be a long boat  and have a keel to help you go straight and fast)

Whitewater - Playboat (will be very short with very little volume. designed for whitewater "tricks")

Whitewater - River Runner (mid-sized boat to just have fun paddling down rivers)

Whitewater - Creek Boat (big faty boat with lots of volume to help stay on top of the water)

If you wanted a boat that could be taken on whitewarer or a lake, I would look at the River Runner style. It will be great on rivers, and just OK on a lake. It will not be good to fish from, however.

Figure out where you want to end up paddling, and go to a place that sells kayaks, and talk to them about what you want. The demo day that was mentioned above is a fantastic idea.

CraigsList is  a great place to find boats too and you can save a lot of money. Flatwater kayaks will probably be in good shape. You'll need to scrutinize a whitewater kayak a bit more, since it will likely have lots of scratches and gouges from rocks. Whitewater kayakers tend to be committed to the sport and will keep doing it (its an adrenaline rush addiction that can't be shaken), so there may not be as many of those used boats. Flatwater kayakers will often buy the boats, use them a time or two, and then they sit in their garage taking up space.

Whatever you decide, get out on the water and have fun.

• Like 1
I have a dagger axis 10.5 and it is a pretty good all around boat with the retractable keel. I've taken it on flat water and some light river runs. I wouldn't take it past class 3 but as a new kayaker you wouldn't want to be in class 4+ anyway.

I'm late to the party but my family and I enjoy leisurely kayaking the Harpeth  here in Franklin. There are several places to put in within a few miles of our house. Pinkerton Park, Lewisburg Pk., Williamson County Parks and Rec. etc. We go upstream a couple hours or so and turn around and make our way back. We've got just cheap sit on top style kayaks but they are worth every penny.

-southernasylum

• Like 1

I mainly go to fish, I have a Jackson Coosa (made here in TN!) and LOVE IT. ....  That said, mine was one of the first runs they made.... now they make all kinds of fishing yaks. The bees knees IMO for fishing is the Jackson Big Rig.... OH MAN!  I'd have one, but my Coosa does just fine and ..... it was an anniversary present from my wife.

Check this bad boy out....

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/big-rig/

I echo the figure out what sort of yak you need though.... My boat is miserable on the lake, but I take it out there often anyway. I've even taken my Coosa through the waves and offshore while in Florida (in hindsight, probably not the best idea but I've spent a lot of time in it and handle the boat well so I made it ok)

Most of the fishing style boats are made for skinny water, like what we have an abundance of in middle TN. However, if you want to just cruise the rivers and maybe the lake here and there, you'll want something with a bit more gitty'up. I'd suggest looking at the one man canoe route also. They're pretty utilitarian... camp out of it, carry your dog, fish, whatever.... And they have more speed than a fishing type boat. Plus it's easy to add a car battery and a trolling motor to jet up river and then float back down if you want, or just get out on the lake and not spend a lot of sweat getting away from the glitter rockets.

These are nice:

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/next/

Edited by SupaRice