Tennessee Statutes (warning complaining involved)

none

Ok so I have lived in 11 States and 3 Countries. Now we call Tennessee home. I have searched Tennessee. Statutes and I can not seem to find the particular legislation that requires a motor vehicle operator to utilize the center left turn lane for an additional lane of travel. Is there some unspoken code that says you must use the center lane for at least 1500 feet of travel prior to making a left turn?
  • Like 1

Ok so I have lived in 11 States and 3 Countries. Now we call Tennessee home. I have searched Tennessee. Statutes and I can not seem to find the particular legislation that requires a motor vehicle operator to utilize the center left turn lane for an additional lane of travel. Is there some unspoken code that says you must use the center lane for at least 1500 feet of travel prior to making a left turn?

Yes, it's there you just overlooked it.

It's in the same section that mandates rolling stops and no requirement to use your brakes while turning right on red...

The emergency lane is also used for just that...when there's heavy traffic you can call, "emergency!" to no one in particular and cruise down the emergency lane at normal highway speed. Beware though...you must keep an eye for those folks backing up on the highway emergency lane so they can get off and miss the stop and go traffic. In normal driving the emergency lane is actually just another passing lane in case your going to slow, like only +15 over the speed limit.

Did I mention do not flash your lights to ask some bozo coming at you to dim his high beams because you might get shot at. It's a high school gang thingy.

Edited by Lowpower

Just remember if you see cops, let the oncoming traffic know by quickly flashing your brights at them.

Pro-tip: just fyi, high beams increase visibility at night substantially, especially the visibility of the reflective decals on a cop car. Use high beams at your own risk, and don't be a douche and blind oncoming traffic.

Guest Toothpick!
Ahh the center lane. Never have I seen so much use for it until I moved to Tennessee.

What gets me is people pull in to it then stop, put their blinker on and wait until they can merge. If you're going to pull in to it then pick up speed and actually merge because you can bet your butt that NO ONE is going to switch lanes to let you pull out. No. One.

I remember when I first moved here it took some getting used to. It's basically a 5th lane of traffic.

I've determined that everyone on the road has low situational awareness and is a selfish douche. Except me.

When I'm on the road everyone going slower than me is a freaking moron and everyone going faster than me is a damned idiot.  But everyone knows that here in Tennessee if you are planning on making a left hand turn then you should stay in the far right lane until the very last minute and then just shoot across how ever man lanes necessary to get to where you are going and visa versa.

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1
You ain't seen nothin' 'til you've driven in western Washington. That's the first place I ever saw people stop at the end of an Interstate on ramp and wait for an opening. And the place gets rain an average of 365 days/year. You'd think they would have figured out how to drive in the stuff by now, but you'd be wrong.

Of course nothing beats driving in Korea.

You ain't seen nothin' 'til you've driven in western Washington. That's the first place I ever saw people stop at the end of an Interstate on ramp and wait for an opening. And the place gets rain an average of 365 days/year. You'd think they would have figured out how to drive in the stuff by now, but you'd be wrong.

I thought that you ain't seen nothin' 'til you're down on a muffin?

• Like 3

What gets me is people pull in to it then stop, put their blinker on and wait until they can merge.  

Actually this is what the driving manual says to do.    Copied below.

You may turn from a side street or driveway into a shared center turn lane, stop, and wait for traffic to clear before merging into traffic in the lane immediately to your right. Make sure the lane is clear in both directions and then turn into the lane only when it is safe. Be sure to give the proper signal while waiting to move into the right lane and also when moving out of the turn lane back into the right lane of traffic

• Like 2

Another traffic law i'm confused about is where should your vehicle be in relation that big fat white line at a light or stop sign. It's been a long time since I took my drivers test but I always assumed that line was where your FRONT bumper should be when stopped. Apparently many if not most drivers believe that line is for anywhere between your rear tires and 4 feet behind your REAR bumper. :screwy:

• Like 1

Korean taxis are wild. I know the official reason for the color code is to indicate the niceness of the cab, but I think it really means how fast they go. Silver = hyperspeed. Black = Ludicrous speed. Out in the countryside and see a blue one? DO NOT GET IN THAT THING!!!!!

I think the bus ride up a wet, narrow, muddy mountain road to Baguio, Philippines takes the cake for me. Guardrails? What are those? More than 30 years later, I still find bits of seat cover when I crap.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2