E-file form1 for SBR timeline.

Ouch. I thought efile form 1 items were supposed to be faster than paper form 4 transfers?
I did paper form 4 several times this year and all came back within 90 days.
Maybe I should've just bought a complete rifle :(

They were quicker a year ago. Trust efile form 1's were 25-45 days and form 4 on a trust was around 90 days while their paper counter were very high. The tides began to turn and eventually the paper filed submissions were the short times and the trust submissions took their place in the long wait camp. It's absolutely ridiculous that they don't take submissions in the order received or have trust and personal employees that way the wait times would stay a bit more level. Of course I find it ridiculous that there is a such thing as the NFA, especially as it pertains to suppressors and sbr's! So of course I find everything envolved with the NFA asinine. I haven't checked wait times since my last two were let out of jail but I found the "NFA tracker graph" to be exceptionally accurate.

They were quicker a year ago. Trust efile form 1's were 25-45 days and form 4 on a trust was around 90 days while their paper counter were very high. The tides began to turn and eventually the paper filed submissions were the short times and the trust submissions took their place in the long wait camp. It's absolutely ridiculous that they don't take submissions in the order received or have trust and personal employees that way the wait times would stay a bit more level. Of course I find it ridiculous that there is a such thing as the NFA, especially as it pertains to suppressors and sbr's! So of course I find everything envolved with the NFA asinine. I haven't checked wait times since my last two were let out of jail but I found the "NFA tracker graph" to be exceptionally accurate.

It's amazing the difference from last year.  Last August I signed an e-file form 1 for my SBR.  Signed on the 4th, and had it approved and emailed to me on the 25th.  21 days...not this year apparently.

I think what has happened is when everyone was seeing wait times less than a month for efiled applications EVEYONE efiled in short order and backed the process up some. I will be paper filing my next item but I have not figured out what that will be. Besides I am two NFA items behind. I have a silencer approved that has not been built yet as well as a SBR that should have been approved already according to averages.

My fastest was 20 days and my longest was 344 days. The 20 days was efiled almost a year ago. The longest was an individual application to make a silencer but I cancelled it and got a refund so I could efile.

Honestly, there is no reason why this should not be instant for individuals and especially so for those who have already been through the process. The background check done by the ATF is probably no more extensive than a NICS check that is done instantly. Heck, have a person go through a full blown background check then issue them a unique ATF ID# when they are approved. When an approved person buys a NFA after the background check all they need to do is give the dealer the ID#, fill out a 4473 and sign a paper saying your status has not changed. Then pay and walk out with your NFA item.

But the best solution of them all is to do away with the stupid NFA laws as they are confusing for anyone but the most studied people on the subject.

BTW, while I was typing this I decided to check my email and I now have an SBR AK to build.

I totally agree that the short wait times contributed caused people to make NFA purchase, hec, as soon as I found out I filed two. I just seems like they really focus on one thing at the time more than the other. Trust submissions were shot time and personal were long. If the flood of submissions is responsible then the personal should have stayed the same while the trusts went up. But instead trusts went up and personal went WAY down.
Glad you got that form 1 stamp back you've been waiting on that one a while.
There are several things contributing to the variations. As mentioned above, the sheer number of e-file submissions has a lot to do with it. However, the ATF lawyer who spoke at the NRA convention stated that the ATF has moved examiners around to take care of backlogs on several occasions.

I'm at 138 days on my second form 1.  I got an email with the tax stamp when the first one was done, but I have read posts where several people claim to never receive the email.  It certainly won't hurt to log in every week or so to check, assuming that's possible. 

The eforms site has been flaky for the last 2-3 weeks.  Either it's completely down, or I get a login exception message when trying to log in.  Mine might be approved now, but the site is too dysfunctional to show it. 

Rusty

Just got the email on my second SBR form 1 (trust).  140 days.

Cheers,

Rusty

Thanks I'm starting to see things come in around when I filed so I probably won't have it for Thanksgiving weekend but the December weekends I can hunt hopefully good to go 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can edit caliber for the lower as you register it.
You MUST have the correct maker and correct model number.

I'm getting ready to file to sbr my CMT lower as well. So I'd choose TGO 15 and will be able to edit to 5.56 later in the process if .300 is the only option in the beginning like it was for ^^^ Bud?

I'm getting ready to file to sbr my CMT lower as well. So I'd choose TGO 15 and will be able to edit to 5.56 later in the process if .300 is the only option in the beginning like it was for ^^^ Bud?

I SBR'd mine as well and just selected 300 on it. Mine is built as a 300 pistol right now but once the lower is SBR'd it shouldn't matter what caliber the upper is. Am I incorrect on that?