OK....I am NOT stalking any of you!!

My laptop recently crashed, burned and would now be a boat anchor if I could find a place to tie a rope to it. Problem is, I don't have enough money right now to buy a new one........SOOO, I am using my IPAD for a while instead of a 'puter. I've noticed that my eyesight, or my hand-eye co-ordination just ain't what it used to be. The IPAD has a touch screen and when I try to open a one line heading type post to read it, it seems that 6 out of 10 times I'm hitt'n ya'lls name that's RIGHT BELOW the heading instead of the post header and BAMMMM!!!!!!!....I'm instanly on your profile page. I just thought I'd clear that up before a rumer got started....LOL..!!!

If it's the operating system and not the hardware, install Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Ubuntu looks a bit more like the Mac. I used those two OS (along with Chrome OS) for the past two years. They are way superior to Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 in my opinion. Things that are almost impossible on Windows becomes easy peasy on Linux. LibreOffice is an acceptable clone of Microsoft Office.

The Linux idea is a great one, if it's just the O/S that is broken. If all you are going to be doing is using a web browser, you'll be up and running and surfing about two minutes after installing the O/S, it's really that easy. You can even boot directly from most Linux CD's without installing the O/S, just to see if you like it. It will run a little slower like that, but you'll at least get an idea of what you'll be in for.

Edited by analog_kidd

I'd really like to have a MacBook, but can't afford one. I'm looking at a few of the Lenovo laptops. They seem to be pretty good from the reviews I've read.

Randall,

I'll part ways with my old mac if you want it.  I'm not sure what it is worth, but it probably be less than a new pc. 

Whether it is a good fit for you depends on how you use it.  For work, cruising the net, etc.... it is fine.

The reason I got a new one is that there is some liquid damage to the screen.  I didn't really notice it when using is specifically for the purposes listed above.  

However, one of my hobbies is laying on my duff and watching full screen movies on Netflix.  At that point, the water damage became an irritation.

Let me know if you have interest and I'll get all the relevant info and figure out a price.  I'm in Nashville, so we would need to meet at Mt. Eagle or Manchester to do the deal.

Finally, you may not be a computer person.  If not, I'll post it on the classifieds, with you having first right of refusal, so some of the techies comment on it.

Edited by Pete123

What happened to your laptop? Is it hardware dead, or did the operating system just get corrupted? The operating system can be fixed. Laptop hardware can be fixed, but it's usually not worth it.

I was told the operating system is corrupt, which is Windows 7 and I don't have a copy of it. The hard drive is fine and most everything else, but it won't boot up even in safe mode.I tried a system restore using the toshiba "o" key while turning it own and it looked like it was going to do it, then didn't. Same with the restore discs I made when it was new.

Randall,

I'll part ways with my old mac if you want it.  I'm not sure what it is worth, but it probably be less than a new pc. 

Whether it is a good fit for you depends on how you use it.  For work, cruising the net, etc.... it is fine.

The reason I got a new one is that there is some liquid damage to the screen.  I didn't really notice it when using is specifically for the purposes listed above.  

However, one of my hobbies is laying on my duff and watching full screen movies on Netflix.  At that point, the water damage became an irritation.

Let me know if you have interest and I'll get all the relevant info and figure out a price.  I'm in Nashville, so we would need to meet at Mt. Eagle or Manchester to do the deal.

Finally, you may not be a computer person.  If not, I'll post it on the classifieds, with you having first right of refusal, so some of the techies comment on it.

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to save my money and get a new non-mac computer. <thumbs up> (no emoticons on the IPAD)
Depending on your use, my 2c is you can't afford not to get a Mac. I did and never looked back. What you save in price for a windows unit you'll spend on programs to keep your system safe.

Macs are a pain at first and it is because they are so simple they are difficult. It takes a bit of patience and since we have the fabulous al gore web, it's easy to find out any answers to questions you might have.

But since you've got an I pad you are mostly accustomed to the Mac world.

Depending on your use, my 2c is you can't afford not to get a Mac. I did and never looked back. What you save in price for a windows unit you'll spend on programs to keep your system safe.

Macs are a pain at first and it is because they are so simple they are difficult. It takes a bit of patience and since we have the fabulous al gore web, it's easy to find out any answers to questions you might have.

But since you've got an I pad you are mostly accustomed to the Mac world.

Well, there is the option of getting a Lenovo and running your favorite Linux distro on it. Much safer than Windows or Mac. Faster too.

Edited by Ted S.

You can buy a stylus pen. My note 2 phone has one I use all the time to be more accurate.

I use a stylus pen almost always when using my smartphone. If I don't, I'll be forever backing up and correcting mistakes. My fingers and that tiny screen just don't go together.

Well, there is the option of getting a Lenovo and running your favorite Linux distro on it. Much safer than Windows or Mac. Faster too.

My son runs Linux and has been telling me need to let him install it on my dead computer. I may do that. He said for the way use my computer I'd probably never want any other OS on it. I may just do that.

My son runs Linux and has been telling me need to let him install it on my dead computer. I may do that. He said for the way use my computer I'd probably never want any other OS on it. I may just do that.

If you mostly use your computer for web browsing, Linux is great even for people that aren't tech saavy.

It is worth trying. But if you are set on windows 7 you can download it from Microsoft. Edited by Alpha13

My laptop recently crashed, burned and would now be a boat anchor if I could find a place to tie a rope to it. Problem is, I don't have enough money right now to buy a new one........SOOO, I am using my IPAD for a while instead of a 'puter. I've noticed that my eyesight, or my hand-eye co-ordination just ain't what it used to be. The IPAD has a touch screen and when I try to open a one line heading type post to read it, it seems that 6 out of 10 times I'm hitt'n ya'lls name that's RIGHT BELOW the heading instead of the post header and BAMMMM!!!!!!!....I'm instanly on your profile page. I just thought I'd clear that up before a rumer got started....LOL..!!!

Yeah, right. We believe you.

OK, 'fess up. BATFE? Or just a plain ol' creeper?
I haven't owned a computer in years. I use one at work, but at home all I have is a Gen 3 iPad. It sits in a handy little Logitech bluetooth keyboard cradle, so I don't have to use the onscreen keyboard.

I miss not having a mouse sometimes, but more for the right-click than the pointing accuracy. I kind of got used to making the quick un-pinching motion on the screen before I tap a link. It's so easy and I'm so used to it that I can do that almost as fast as I could click with a mouse.

Does the computer give you any error messages, or a blue screen when you try to boot it? If so, please share them. You can Google them too and see if that gives any insight.

Sounds like you found your restore CD's, which is good. Not sure why booting from them didn't fix your problem. Boot from disk one again, and see if there is an option to do a complete restore. That would erase your drive and completely lay down all new bits. You may have just done a "refresh" and left whatever is causing your problem, still on the PC.

Another thing to try, is take off one of the little covers on the bottom, and find the memory. Remove and replace them. Sometimes, over time, with the heat generated in the laptop, the memory will expand and contract and eventually work loose a bit and not make a good connection. Just pulling them out and putting them right back in will fix that.

Does the computer give you any error messages, or a blue screen when you try to boot it? If so, please share them. You can Google them too and see if that gives any insight.

Sounds like you found your restore CD's, which is good. Not sure why booting from them didn't fix your problem. Boot from disk one again, and see if there is an option to do a complete restore. That would erase your drive and completely lay down all new bits. You may have just done a "refresh" and left whatever is causing your problem, still on the PC.

Another thing to try, is take off one of the little covers on the bottom, and find the memory. Remove and replace them. Sometimes, over time, with the heat generated in the laptop, the memory will expand and contract and eventually work loose a bit and not make a good connection. Just pulling them out and putting them right back in will fix that.

I tried the Toshiba "system restore" which is turning the computer on while holding down the "O" key. It went through the motions like it was going to do it, but then it said it was downloading files and never got any further. It did the same thing with the restore discs I made when it was new. I was able to restore it one time with the toshiba system restore system and it worked fine. I've tried the toshiba restore, disc restore and tried to boot with my sons USB thumb drive that has boot info on it and it wouldn't boot. He did take the computer home and did get it to boot up and salvaged some important files I hadn't backed up that I used the night before it crashed. I think I'm gonna let my son take it home and wipe it clean, then install Linux. My son said I would love it once I got used to it.