Dogs vs. bees pics

Sam1

When she was a puppy, one of my Weimaraners got stung (she was being an idiot and chased one).

Her head blew up like a basketball (remember that scene from the movie Pure Luck with Martin Short?).

Anyway, there just happened to be a mom at the park that day with some Benadryl. 

My wife rushed her to the Vet and he said that the Benadryl was the only reason she was still alive.

Bad reaction / anaphylactic shock.  Her throat started to close up.

I keep an Epi-Pin handy now...

OP, that last pic, a Weim, is hilarious and not hilarious at the same time.  :)

Edited by TN-popo
Heh. My dog when I was a kid would eat several yellow jackets per year, every year. She'd chase them around snapping at them and eventually there would be the yelp, followed by the fat lip for several days. After the first few, we figured if she wasn't smart enough to figure that out, she deserved it. If you're going to be stupid, you'd better be tough.

I keep honey bees, and so far, my dogs have not gotten stung. They wander near the hive every so often, but have never gone right up to it. My bees are fairly non-aggressive, I frequently open the hive with no gear on and they don't bother me. Especially if it's just a quick, take a peek, kind of thing. I did get stung just below the eye once, but I had opened the hive all the way up and was doing some work in there. She got me just as I took off my hood.

I did have a nest of yellow jackets in the barn last summer. I put on my bee suit and went after them. Now, they were aggressive. They would attack and not stop. Even with the suit on, I still got about a dozen stings before it was all over. 

I keep honey bees, and so far, my dogs have not gotten stung. They wander near the hive every so often, but have never gone right up to it. My bees are fairly non-aggressive, I frequently open the hive with no gear on and they don't bother me. Especially if it's just a quick, take a peek, kind of thing. I did get stung just below the eye once, but I had opened the hive all the way up and was doing some work in there. She got me just as I took off my hood.

I did have a nest of yellow jackets in the barn last summer. I put on my bee suit and went after them. Now, they were aggressive. They would attack and not stop. Even with the suit on, I still got about a dozen stings before it was all over.

Those little suckers are mean!! A few years back, our old Chow was walking in the spring, just letting the water sooth her old bones.

Suddenly we heard a loud yelp and she was running towards us chased by at least a dozen or so yellowjackets.e got her inside and she was still whining and crying. We found several caught in the fur under chin and had a devil of a time getting them out.

As near as we could tell, she got stung under her chin, on the back of her neck and along her hip. I t was pretty bad for her for several days, even with the cortisone and benedryl tabs we gave her.

Like a total idiot, I walked along the bank trying to find the nest. I did. I got stung several times too.

But...later that night, as it cooled, I poured a quart of gasoline down the hole and around it. I steeped back and threw
a couple of matches in. Burnt a slew of them, the dug the nest up and burnt it again.

Revenge!! Really didn't do much good though, I was still hurting from the stings.

Bee-vs-Wasp.jpg

• Like 6