Practice targets ideas

Not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but was just curious what everybody uses for targets.
Whenever I shoot I'm with at least one of my kids and I try and make it interesting and challenging.
Our latest idea involves soda cans.
We tie some string between to tree limbs and then use the tabs on the cans to hold them in place.
Like so.....
B06A8DDE-5382-4896-A04B-68D7F4E4E5C7.jpg

3414B936-181C-47DB-8DC5-0705A58C11D8.jpg

We'll also do some excercises where we'll call out a brand to hit and the shooter has to identify the right can and aim quickly.
With teenagers in the house, soda cans are plentiful and the hits are easily seen.
Although it's difficult to adjust your aim since misses aren't visible.

Anyway, we enjoy it and I was wondering if anyone else had creative target ideas as well.

Steve

• Like 2

Not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but was just curious what everybody uses for targets.
Whenever I shoot I'm with at least one of my kids and I try and make it interesting and challenging.
Our latest idea involves soda cans.
We tie some string between to tree limbs and then use the tabs on the cans to hold them in place.
Like so.....
B06A8DDE-5382-4896-A04B-68D7F4E4E5C7.jpg

3414B936-181C-47DB-8DC5-0705A58C11D8.jpg

We'll also do some excercises where we'll call out a brand to hit and the shooter has to identify the right can and aim quickly.
With teenagers in the house, soda cans are plentiful and the hits are easily seen.
Although it's difficult to adjust your aim since misses aren't visible.

Anyway, we enjoy it and I was wondering if anyone else had creative target ideas as well.

Steve

That's awesome!  I've been trying to think of some sort of simple, reactive target for my son to shoot with his BB gun.  This should perfectly!

If ya want to learn how to shoot and shoot well, pitch a bunch of clay birds out on a berm about 30 or 35 yards away and go ta shootin with your postola... If it's a rifle, stretch it out a bit... The clay birds will break when hit well and then start on the smaller pieces... 

leroy

so many places want paper only, so paper is all I shoot anymore.   But if you want fun for the kids and don't mind making a mess (pieces of metal, plastic, glass, etc? at the downrange location...  the little sharp bits add up after a while ..)  there are tons of fun things you can do.

any container full of water, with at little airspace as you can get in it, is fun.  Even medium sized cartridges will blow a 2-liter into 2-4 pieces if it was full of water and capped.    If you don't cap it, it will shoot a jet of water into the air.    A can can't easily be sealed, but they will blow apart anyway, even a .22 LR can split one in half without sealing it.  Sealed, they do even better (you can get canned water, or if you like bees and bugs you can shoot cheap offbrand soda).

Anything on a string or skewered will spin.  My wife puts playing cards on a metal kabob and they spin when you hit them on the side, its cut in half and the attached bit is spinning, its funny.    Guy we used to shoot with had an eye screw, a string, and a golfball to make a target that would wind up on the string when hit by a .22.  

2-liters etc again, we used to shoot the caps off.  If you hit them on the side, they unscrew so they fly straight up (stabalized by the spin)

water balloons, or balloons in general

If you shoot bigger cartridges, those bouncing ball targets can be fun, they roll around on the ground as you shoot them so its sort of a moving target if you can do it fast.   But even 9mm barely make them move on rough ground, and you would be shooting AT the ground which requires a more carefully selected range (don't want to bounce shots up and off into the distance).   You can make home-made versions of this with a variety of things, just need something that can be kicked around and take a few hits.