Our Idiots: TN DL Extended Past HCP

So, last year, legislature enacted the staggered times on the HCP issuance and renewals, to get them to start falling in line with the five year birthday renewal of one's TN DL. And probably there was a fiscal note on this for admin and software and whatnot. I'm sure it was also touted to save money in the long run.

Okay.

So now, they just passed the new eight year new cycle on TDL renewals. Same deal, claiming 6 million in savings over time.

Only in Tennessee.

At least we can legally eat our roadkill, always been proud of our lawmakers' wisdom and all with that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 5

no kidding!   Why even have a separate HCP?  Why not a citation on the DL that means the person has a HCP.  Now that might save some money.

Especially since the DL number and the permit number is the same, not to mention all the info on both.  It could be just like any, other 'endorsement' - F endorsement, etc. - on a license.  Of course, some people wouldn't like the idea because they might not want to 'inform' a police officer if not asked (in line with TN law) or might not want the clerk at Walmart who askes to see their DL in order to accept a check to know they have their HCP (as if the clerk is likely to notice, anyhow.)  One, valid objection I could see is that doctors' offices often want to make a photocopy of your DL with your insurance cards.  That kind of goes along with not wanting to answer questions of doctor questionnaires about whether or not you own guns (I have never been asked but wouldn't answer if I were.)  Also, I guess having a separate permit works better for reciprocity with other states where police, etc. might not recognize an endorsement on a DL as easily as a stand-alone permit.

Edited by JAB

no kidding!   Why even have a separate HCP?  Why not a citation on the DL that means the person has a HCP.  Now that might save some money.

The only issue I see with that is if you are driving without insurance and get stopped the officer can hold your license and impound your car and that leaves you without your HCP cause the LEO has it. I agree it seldom happens that an officer will do it but he is legally allowed to ticket you and take your license until you appear in court on the ticket and provide the court with proof of insurance......... :ugh: :ugh: :2cents:

So, last year, legislature enacted the staggered times on the HCP issuance and renewals, to get them to start falling in line with the five year birthday renewal of one's TN DL. And probably there was a fiscal note on this for admin and software and whatnot. I'm sure it was also touted to save money in the long run.

Okay.

So now, they just passed the new eight year new cycle on TDL renewals. Same deal, claiming 6 million in savings over time.

Only in Tennessee.

At least we can legally eat our roadkill, always been proud of our lawmakers' wisdom and all with that.

- OS

The state don't make the $50.oo cool dollars on DL renewals, just HCP's. If we let them do it, they would make HCP renewals every 2 years. Gimmie gimmie gimmie....

Here's a clip of the Tennessee legislature discussing a money issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3e0EkvIEM

Edited by K191145

The state don't make the $50.oo cool dollars on DL renewals, just HCP's. If we let them do it, they would make HCP renewals every 2 years. Gimmie gimmie gimmie....

HCP pricing for both issuance and renewal is set by statute, it doesn't matter what time frame they jockey the renewals around to, is just pro-rated for that duration, still same price per year.

I assume TDL is same?

- OS

HCP pricing for both issuance and renewal is set by statute, it doesn't matter what time frame they jockey the renewals around to, is just pro-rated for that duration, still same price per year.

I assume TDL is same?

- OS

So is renewal for HCP's 6 or 8 years now? I just renewed mine last year and it expires in 2018, I guess I don't get to get on the new time until I renew it in 2018. If they make renewals every 8 years they will loose $50 from each HCP holder, i'm surprised they would do that.

So is renewal for HCP's 6 or 8 years now?...

Presently is a sliding scale of 3 to 7 years,  for time span, all aimed at hitting five year cycle by one's second renewal and tweaked to day of your birth. Or I guess by ones' first renewal in case of new issuances. Or something like that. All so it would coincide with five year span of DL.

However, the yearly price of both new HCP or renewal is the same.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/handgunfees.shtml

Of course, since they just changed DL to eight year cycle, it's a total SNAFUBAR now. And all wasted effort (money) on what they've been doing with the HCP.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The only issue I see with that is if you are driving without insurance and get stopped the officer can hold your license and impound your car and that leaves you without your HCP cause the LEO has it. I agree it seldom happens that an officer will do it but he is legally allowed to ticket you and take your license until you appear in court on the ticket and provide the court with proof of insurance......... :ugh: :ugh: :2cents:

I really like the idea of linking the HCP to the drivers license. But like everyone else I don't like the idea of a beat officer being able to tacitly suspend one's HCP in the manner bersaguy talks about. Sure wish there was an interest in overcoming this. The cost savings could be right nice.

'Course expecting politicians to embrace cost savings is like expecting Bill Clinton to embrace abstinence.

I got my renewal back recently and it is for 4 years, it isnt linked to my lic expiration date or my birth day.

That is the old normal.  Maybe you got in under the wire before they stated the staggering/pro-rating thing?

That is the old normal.  Maybe you got in under the wire before they stated the staggering/pro-rating thing?

Who knows what they'll start doing now. Website info still shows the 5 year thing. Well, actually, that's still the law of course, they didn't change it to match the DL change.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 1 month later...

I'm moving to TN this week and will be applying for HCP later this summer after getting settled in and getting drivers license changed, take the appropriate course etc. I turn 67 a few weeks ago so I will be a few months in to my 67th year when I apply.  With the law change will I get issued one due in 2018 or 2023?

I already have permits in NY and UT so I'm covered till I get my HCP.  Was also told that TN recognizes an out of state license for 6 months when you move to TN, not sure if that is true but they do recognize UT.

I'm moving to TN this week and will be applying for HCP later this summer after getting settled in and getting drivers license changed, take the appropriate course etc. I turn 67 a few weeks ago so I will be a few months in to my 67th year when I apply.  With the law change will I get issued one due in 2018 or 2023?

They have to come into compliance with the "every five years on your birthday (even though that won't jibe with DL after a while with the 8 year renewal on that). They're doing 3-7 year issue/renewal, kinda hard to exactly grok for me. They attempt to "explain" it here under the "Handgun Permit Fees" section. Whole site just got redone, no former links work, btw.

I already have permits in NY and UT so I'm covered till I get my HCP.  Was also told that TN recognizes an out of state license for 6 months when you move to TN, not sure if that is true but they do recognize UT.

TN recognizes all other states' permits. And yes, once you move here, good for 6 months.

- OS

I'm fairly sure that Tennessee honors permits from every state. Even states that do not honor ours, it's not the permit holders fault anyway, just the government of that state.