AR Uppers...

poak

Holy dog feces! I'm confused.

I keep trying to decide which upper I'll be ordering...

I've got my eye on a Sabre Defence M4 1x7 chrome lined, and can get it at a pretty decent price.

On the other hand, I can order a Rifle Kit from Del-Ton, spend a little more, but get more stuff.

How can I expect a DTI upper to stack up against a Sabre Defence upper?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. Saber defense... shmaber defense.

Honestly, unless you just have to have snot appeal i'd purchase something along the likes of DPMS, stag arms, or RRA.

Why a 1:7 in an M4? I could see that in maybe a varminter rifle where you might want to shoot the heavier bullets. 1:7 is really for 69 to 90 gr bullets...

Most of those wont fit in your magazine. But if your sure. :-P

A 1:9 chambered in 5.56 IMO would make more sense to me for an M4. Just my 2 cents.

Deltons are pretty good too. They just seem to have a pretty good wait time last time i ordered something from them.

DTI's are excellent uppers. They use cmt/stag receivers and Wilson barrels. Both builds I've built I've used them and I can't justify spending more on other uppers just for a name. Good solid builds IMO. The difference between the Sabre's and DTI's will be the finish. Sabre uses a nice shiny black finish that looks good IMO, but other than that I don't think there is much difference.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm leaning towards a Del-Ton kit now, as I'm not to worried about wait time, and it seems I'll get more for my $$$.

Sling, I seem to have read somewhere on a different forum that 1x7 was ideal for bullet weights as low as 55 and well past 62, but I will look further into it, thanks.

Well, I placed my order w/ Del-Ton earlier today, so the waiting game begins...

I ended up getting a different configuration than I had originally planned.

I decided to go w/ an A3 flat top upper w/ a 16" chrome lined barrel, and mid-length gas system.

Cant F'n wait...:)

For what it's worth I went with a Del-ton kit for my first build. Have heard good things about them. I really don't know jack about AR's but got caught up in the hype what with everyone freaking out about the next possible gun ban.

Anyway, put together my lower today (DPMS w/DPMS kit) and it looks pretty silly with nothing else!

Ordered my kit online last Sunday. Pre-Election. Haven't heard a word since. Tried to call DTI Friday. Not to be nosey, just wanted to see if I'm getting the correct front sight with the flat-top upper I ordered. I think they took the phones off the hook!

Well, I placed my order w/ Del-Ton earlier today, so the waiting game begins...

I ended up getting a different configuration than I had originally planned.

I decided to go w/ an A3 flat top upper w/ a 16" chrome lined barrel, and mid-length gas system.

Cant F'n wait...:)

That's what I got because it was in stock and there was a 4-6 week wait on M4 chrome lined. Got it in about 5 days. That was about 2 weeks ago though. Of course I sold it just this week though! :P

Photo0054.jpg

Edited by Smith
Guest GUTTERbOY
For what it's worth I went with a Del-ton kit for my first build. Have heard good things about them. I really don't know jack about AR's but got caught up in the hype what with everyone freaking out about the next possible gun ban.

Anyway, put together my lower today (DPMS w/DPMS kit) and it looks pretty silly with nothing else!

Ordered my kit online last Sunday. Pre-Election. Haven't heard a word since. Tried to call DTI Friday. Not to be nosey, just wanted to see if I'm getting the correct front sight with the flat-top upper I ordered. I think they took the phones off the hook!

See this thread at arfcom:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=404030

Looks like they're definitely getting swamped... (raise your hand if you're stunned)

I ordered my kit on Halloween. Hoping it'll ship this week; the lady on the phone said they were telling folks 1-2 weeks to get them shipped, but intimated that they were getting them out quicker than that generally. I'd like to have mine put together for next Sunday's Chatt TGO shoot.

I notice that since Tuesday, they've added a note on their site saying to allow 4-8 weeks for processing due to the demand. Hopefully we both got in ahead of that...

Thanks strick, but I'm in Nashville.

I'm not too worried about the wait. I'm hoping I won't be waiting any longer than 3weeks, but we'll see how that plays out.

Who knows, since I ordered the mid-length, maybe I'll receive it earlier than I thought.

One driving force in ordering from Del-Ton, aside from their glowing reviews, was the fact that they haven't attempted to squeeze even one solitary extra penny out of the post-election hysteria, unlike some vendors (cough, cough, BUD'S!... cough, cough, CTD!..).

Guest GUTTERbOY
If it makes you feel any better, Del-Ton usually under promises and over delivers. Every time I've ordered that has been the case.

That was the feeling I got from the lady I talked to before placing my order. And really, in the end, it's not like my life will be torn asunder if I have to wait another 14 days to get my upper.

Sling, I seem to have read somewhere on a different forum that 1x7 was ideal for bullet weights as low as 55 and well past 62, but I will look further into it, thanks.

Poak, sorry its taken so long to get back with you.

55 gr will work in a 1:7 twist. However, 1:7 is a VERY fast twist for a light bullet. You may or may not get the best accuracy as you would perhaps a 1:9. For the record... dont shoot anything lighter as the fast twist can\will cause the lighter bullets to spin so fast as to tear the jackets off of the bullets in flight. As you could imagine... this results in poor accuracy.

Edited by sling
This post election hysteria is mildly amusing I will admit. I plan on getting some kind of AR a couple months down the road when people realize Obamas not gonna be able to pass overnight anti-gun legislation.

I agree.

I think what motivated me to get on my build was the rash of AR builds of seen on forums lately... I got jealous.