Vermont woman making a living with hand made knives

Nope. You just need to find a way to market your stuff to them without moving up there. Those Brooklyn hipsters pay top dollar for "goods with a soul". Items coming out of your place would sell like ice cream in July up there if you find a way to market to them. Your farm is the real deal based on the pics you've posted on here. Big draft horses, an old fashioned forge, and work boots that have seen more mud than pavement paint a picture of something they're desperate to show their fellow hipsters they've "discovered" and they're glad to pay top dollar for it.

Besides, I've been to New York.  Once.  For one night (took a cruise that left out of there.)  Based on what I know of you just from posts on here, you'd last about as long as I would before you took off running back toward the Mason-Dixon line desperately singing/yelling/screaming the words to "Dixie" at the top of your lungs.

I had to look up those Old Hickory knives, they look like a great deal if buying new. I have to agree if buying for regular home use, most any will do, especially if on sale. After looking at the OH knives I don't think you could find a much better deal on a good kitchen knife. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of those to butcher meat in restaurant.

The only thing about the Old Hickory knives is that - being high carbon, non-stainless steel (which is also a really good thing about them) they require more maintenance else they rust very, very easily.  I've seen one develop a little rust just sitting in the sink in dishwater waiting to be washed.  That said, the high carbon steel and relative thinness of the blade make them easy to get and keep wicked sharp.

They are so inexpensive and so easy to sharpen thta there is actually a 'trend' among the bushcrafter types to mod them into bushcraft knifes (or just use them as is - after all, many/most of the real frontiersmen and mountain men didn't have specialty sheath knives and just carried butcher knives or other kitchen type knives.)  Here are a couple of youtube links on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziV3R9Jcro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MhQasRzQ8

Edited by JAB