Church and CCW

I have been asked to do some research on this, and would like to know if anyone attends any where in the state that has it posted and members not allowed to carry, or for the most part all those that might answer are you allowed to sort of an unspoken code of silence? If not allowed is it plainly posted where all can see the signs and are all of the legal type os signs being used. Thanks to all those that will respond, and would like to hear pros and cons about carrying to church, or not and if not why not.

In 7 years here, have never seen one mention of any church posting on TGO, or any other forum.

I think even if the powers that be in any given church would prefer you didn't, the very presence of such an official sign is considered too "unchurchly", and perhaps even a bit scary, and that it's best that the majority of the flock remains unruffled sheep. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I don't do church, but if I did I'd carry.

A church is not some safe place magically protected by Jesus.  There has been killing in churches.

I look at it this way  I go to the IGA near here.  Far as I know there has never been a violent crime committed there or on their property.  I still carry.  

• Like 2
Thanks for the responses, hoping for a lot more responses, I am of the sme mind thought as both of you, I do carry when going to church it does hot and has not in the past stopped deadly shooting from taking place, and not sure that they sign would deter a staunch carrier from carrying while attending church.. I can see where if a church wanted to post it could do so out in the parking area somewhere so that they would then be able to ask someone that they think does not fit their idel picture of a member of the congregation and then ask the person to leave if found to be packing.. I am starting to nod off hope that we get more input tomorrow.

I don't do church, but if I did I'd carry.

A church is not some safe place magically protected by Jesus.  There has been killing in churches.

I look at it this way  I go to the IGA near here.  Far as I know there has never been a violent crime committed there or on their property.  I still carry.  

I humor mom and attend about 6 times a year with her in Nooga. Always have the mighty Kahr in the pocket when I do, just like any other time.

- OS

• Like 1
I ankle carry a j-frame. This is the only place I ankle carry or carry a j-frame. I don't pocket carry, ever and inside the waist is a nightmare with tucked in shirts.
My pastor carries, had some death threats a few years back after divulging info to police told in confidence by a member to him, he did the right thing. He carries a LCP on the ankle.
  • Like 2

I have never seen a posting before, but I would theorize that any church that might, would either be in a inner city, where the politics swing far left, or some weird odd never heard of theology church.  Churches away from the city, their congregations are more likely to be quite proud of conceal carry with show and tell.  I have already witnessed a few.

Nope. Sounds more like a New York City sort of church policy. Granted, if AC Wharton, Memphis fine mayor had his way, there would be no guns anywhere in the city proper, including church. 

My church is full of cops as well as many others who pack heat on Sunday. I've noticed more than one lump under a coat jacket and made a note to make sure mine was less obvious. In this day and age, I think a church full of Christians is a possible target for some nut job or lone wolf Haji, although they are probably one and the same. 

Only speaking for MI here but they are listed as off limits without permission so they don't need to post a sign....

I figure that if god didn't want me to carry he would tell me himself; to this day he's not said a word...

Edited by teecro
Up until last year, it was completely illegal to carry in a church in Georgia. The law changed so that you could carry with permission of the church authority. There was no definition as to who is the authority, how to obtain permission, etc. The original bill just removed churches from the prohibited places list, but Senate Republicans inserted this permission language at the last minute using some shady procedures.

So in some Georgia churches, the pastor may be all that is needed to grant permission to carry. In other denominations, one person can remove that option for thousands of their flock. Case in point, the Catholic Archbishop in Atlanta and the two Episcopal Bishops who control 99% of Georgia Episcopal churches decreed that guns were banned from all of their churches. No signs needed, just the ability to hide behind the skirts of the government.

My Episcopal church is ruled by the Bishop of East Tennessee. I expressly asked permssion in a logical, well-constructed letter. He let the priest and the vestry decide, but he implied that he would ban guns if they didn't reach the right decision. They made their decision without asking mine or anyone else's opinion. This is still a sore point for me, and I haven't been back.

The crazy thing is that I could go to any Chattanooga Episcopal church while carrying (as long as it is not posted), but if I carry in this church in the same diocese but different state, then I would violate the law.

The penalty was also changed to a $100 fine and no arrest. Some of us would consider this an acceptable risk (a carry tax) except that a violation could make you ineligible to hold a weapons license for five years.
I carry in church and so does wife. If there is a church in this state that doesn't allow legal carry they need to remember that the criminals will not honor the sign. I will be teaching my pastor's family firearm safety, shooting skills and home safety this month.

Never seen a church posting in this part of TN.  Church we attend has a security plan in place that includes several armed (concealed) members located near entrances/exits, etc.

I carry, just like everywhere else in public. My Dad carries too. Our preacher is a big gun guy as well so I wouldn't be surprised if he carried in the pulpit. I think it would be laughable around this area for any church to tell its members not to carry. Christians are being persecuted both away and at home right now. Unfortunately that will get worse with time.
  • Like 1
I've personally never seen a gunbuster at any church I've visited, to include churches in KS, MO, FL, ME, DE, NH, MA, MD, and probably some others.

I don't recommend anyone try something at my church. I know where the SD9 sits, the fullsize M&P40 with crimson trace laser sits, the J frame sits, the Sig 938 sits, the PX4 sits, and the Shield plays bass guitar. There are probably more. From the sound booth to the stage, the classrooms to the halls, we are not an unprotected flock.
  • Like 1

I carry, just like everywhere else in public. My Dad carries too. Our preacher is a big gun guy as well so I wouldn't be surprised if he carried in the pulpit. I think it would be laughable around this area for any church to tell its members not to carry. Christians are being persecuted both away and at home right now. Unfortunately that will get worse with time.

True.