Garland TX - Shootout at Islamic Cartoon Contest

Good Guys: 2, Bad Guys: .5 (? Not sure how to count an injury)

Maybe if we can bring all the nutjobs out of the woodwork like this where they can identify themselves plainly we can at least clean house a little. Wait... is that insensitive? ... whatever.

Hope the officer makes a full and complete recovery quickly.
  • Like 3
I'm wishing the officer a speedy recovery, but I'd also like to know who thought that this contest was a good idea? It seems that this is the kind of thing that you do to create controversy under the cover of free speech.

Based upon the current climate that we live in, I'm certain that the organizer expected protest at the minimum with this kind craziness also as a strong possibility. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 2

What amazes me is the fact that this kind of work was handled by the FBI but is now handled by the inept NSA. The real question other than creating a poorly trained army on American soil for Gov't use is why isn't the FBI raising all kind of hell about not being able to do their job which is protect the USA.

I'm wishing the officer a speedy recovery, but I'd also like to know who thought that this contest was a good idea? It seems that this is the kind of thing that you do to create controversy under the cover of free speech.

Based upon the current climate that we live in, I'm certain that the organizer expected protest at the minimum with this kind craziness also as a strong possibility.

This is the first thought that I had.  I don't think we should live in fear of drawing political cartoons, but there is also consequences for actions, and sometimes common sense should be exercised for the interest of safety.  

• Like 6

Part of me thinks the attack plays right into the aims of its organizers.  Not saying they were hoping to become the target of an attack, but it definitely give them a "told you so" moment.  The left isn't the only one to use a crisis to further their aims.

• Like 5
  • Moderators

Part of me thinks the attack plays right into the aims of its organizers. Not saying they were hoping to become the target of an attack, but it definitely give them a "told you so" moment. The left isn't the only one to use a crisis to further their aims.

Geert Wilders was a speaker. He would definitely be a high value target to the jihadis.

Based upon the current climate that we live in, I'm certain that the organizer expected protest at the minimum with this kind craziness also as a strong possibility.

I think you're right. Not a good idea. With that said, there is NO excuse for violent criminal behavior. Seems like there are all kinds of folks making those excuses these days. If they held an event to make fat jokes about your mama, would you roll in and shoot the place up? I'm betting the answer is no.

• Like 4

In this country we should be free to say whatever we want to say. If someone wants to have a contest drawing Mohammed, then so be it! I celebrate their ability to do such a thing, and would do so even if it meant a contest involving Jesus, Buddha, etc..

I agree. I'm simply saying the the organizers should have expected backlash. It's no secret how Muslims feel about depictions of the prophet Muhammad.

I think you're right. Not a good idea. With that said, there is NO excuse for violent criminal behavior. Seems like there are all kinds of folks making those excuses these days. If they held an event to make fat jokes about your mama, would you roll in and shoot the place up? I'm betting the answer is no.

You are correct. No excuse.

Since those who are the most stridently anti-Islam are usually religious in their own right...anybody who participated in, or supports this event looses all credibility if they get upset or insulted when someone pokes fun, or degrades Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Scientology, Jedi...whatever shoe fits.  If Islam is fair game for ridicule, so is every other religion.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 6

Anybody who participated in, or supports this event looses all credibility if they get upset or insulted when someone pokes fun, or degrades Christianity.  If Islam is fair game for ridicule, so is every other religion.

How do you figure that? The issue is the violent response. They are supposed to get pissed. They are NOT supposed to respond outside of society's rules. It ain't hard.

• Like 2
Freedom of Speech simply means the government can't prosecute you for speaking against them. Speech has plenty of consequences the Constitution can't protect you from. Plenty of people have been fired for speech, killed for speech. Say what you have to say, but know the consequences and be ready to face them. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 5

How do you figure that? The issue is the violent response. They are supposed to get pissed. They are NOT supposed to respond outside of society's rules. It ain't hard.

The violent response is aside from everything else that went into that event.  Though I will say the actions that happened weren't unpredictable.

If a "Mohammed Art Exhibit and Contest" isn't a bigoted event against Islam, I don't know what is.  It is protected speech in our country, though.  But I'll bet a brick of .22LR there were plenty of high and mighty religious types there who get offended when their religion has scorn heaped upon it.  Just because they aren't opening fire doesn't mean they aren't hypocrites.

• Like 2

The violent response is aside from everything else that went into that event.  Though I will say the actions that happened weren't unpredictable.

If a "Mohammed Art Exhibit and Contest" isn't a bigoted event against Islam, I don't know what is.  It is protected speech in our country, though.  But I'll bet a brick of .22LR there were plenty of high and mighty religious types there who get offended when their religion has scorn heaped upon it.  Just because they aren't opening fire doesn't mean they aren't hypocrites.

Yeah. I agree that it was probably a bigoted event. At the same time, they kinda proved their point. 

• Like 2

Since those who are the most stridently anti-Islam are usually religious in their own right...anybody who participated in, or supports this event looses all credibility if they get upset or insulted when someone pokes fun, or degrades Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Scientology, Jedi...whatever shoe fits. If Islam is fair game for ridicule, so is every other religion.

When those other religions start encouraging their followers to kill everyone that doesn't believe in their prophet, then we'll talk.

Yes...I know that has nothing to do with their protected right to practice their religion of choice.

...No, I don't care. Call me whatever you like, but I don't give 1 farts worth of care about their freedom of religion as long as there is still one of them breathing and preaching that all whom don't follow allah should be killed.

I do not believe in allah. Edited by KKing
  • Like 6

When those other religions start encouraging their followers to kill everyone that doesn't believe in their prophet, then we'll talk.

Yes...I know that has nothing to do with their protected right to practice their religion of choice.

...No, I don't care. Call it whatever you like, but I don't give 1 farts worth of care about their freedom of religion as long as there is still one of them breathing and preaching that all whom don't follow allah should be killed.

I do not believe in allah.

Islam is most certainly not one unified force.  Aside from that whole Shia/Sunni divide, there is a wide spectrum when it comes to how strict its followers are, just like with other religions.  Some take it literally, go jihad with its application, while the vast majority want to just say their prayers five times a day, and raise their families to be God fearing people.

Edited by btq96r

Islam is most certainly not one unified force. Aside from that whole Shia/Sunni divide, there is a wide spectrum when it comes to how strict its followers are, just like with other religions. Some take it literally, go jihad with its application, while the vast majority want to just say their prayers five times a day, and raise their families to be God fearing people.

I realize you're trying to show that there is a fringe crowd in every religion, and there is, but you still did not show me that there are any others out there professing the name of "....." executing other humans exactly as there chosen religion instructs them to.

Throw the baby out with the bath water, I shall. No time for any of them.

Edit: last sentences removed because I got squirrley Edited by KKing

I realize you're trying to show that there is a fringe crowd in every religion, and there is, but you still did not show me that there are any others out there professing the name of "....." executing other humans exactly as there chosen religion instructs them to.

The KKK, IRA, anti-abortion killers, the Jewish Defense League...all use their religion, or their perversions thereof, to justify their means.

• Like 2