Knoxville area members please check in

Tellico Plains. Only place I've ever been that has six stop signs and no stop lights. I really don't know if we don't need them or just can't afford them.

Bless your heart. When have you ever seen the need for a traffic light in town? The only traffic back-up I've ever seen involved wagons, horses or tractors. Caused a few of those myself. :)

Howdy all. The last time I posted was in 2012 and I was recently retired from the Navy. The wife and I were looking at retiring to the Johnson city area, but because of family issues we headed back to Jacksonville, FL again. We really like the east Tennessee area, so we continued to look around whenever we could make it up that way. Well, now we are seriously looking at a house in the Maryville area, in fact we have made an offer on one at the Top of the World area.

Since the houses we are looking at are on 4+ acres, I was wondering if I would be able to do some target practice on the property. So, I have been trying to find out what the ordinances are for discharging a firearm in Blount county. I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction.

Rob

Edited by robnfl

Since the houses we are looking at are on 4+ acres, I was wondering if I would be able to do some target practice on the property. So, I have been trying to find out what the ordinances are for discharging a firearm in Blount county. I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction.

Rob

As long as you are not in an incorporated area like Maryville you can shoot all you want.  Only thing to worry about is neighbors.

Edited by Garufa

As long as you are not in an incorporated area like Maryville you can shoot all you want.  Only thing to worry about is neighbors.

Yep, I'm at the bottom of the hill.  Hearing firearms on the weekend is pretty normal.  It'd be a great way to introduce yourself to the neighbors!  Top of the World community in an interesting place.  There may be some ordinances beyond county laws, you might look into that. 

Yep, I'm at the bottom of the hill.  Hearing firearms on the weekend is pretty normal.  It'd be a great way to introduce yourself to the neighbors!  Top of the World community in an interesting place.  There may be some ordinances beyond county laws, you might look into that. 

LOL...It would be a way to meet the neighbors all right. It might not be so great if they are opposed to the noise or shooting.

Peejman - Do you know if it is legal to carry (with a permit) in Maryville? I found this in the Maryville code of ordnances:

"11-603. Weapons and firearms generally. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry in any manner whatever, with the intent to go armed, any razor, dirk, knife, blackjack, brass knucks, pistol, revolver, or any other dangerous weapon or instrument."

I did not see any exception for legal handgun permit holders.

Does this mean it is illegal for legal permit holders to carry in Maryville or does the Tennessee state law preempt this ordinance?

Thanks,

Rob

LOL...It would be a way to meet the neighbors all right. It might not be so great if they are opposed to the noise or shooting.

Peejman - Do you know if it is legal to carry (with a permit) in Maryville? I found this in the Maryville code of ordnances:

"11-603. Weapons and firearms generally. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry in any manner whatever, with the intent to go armed, any razor, dirk, knife, blackjack, brass knucks, pistol, revolver, or any other dangerous weapon or instrument."

I did not see any exception for legal handgun permit holders.

Does this mean it is illegal for legal permit holders to carry in Maryville or does the Tennessee state law preempt this ordinance?

Thanks,

Rob

State law preempts that, best of my knowledge.  The new park carry law should cover all the parks too, which has always been somewhat in question.