Just Obtained One Of My Unicorns!!!

Moped

Picked up two more mags today.  Hi-Point 8 rounders.  No after market mags for me.

That was prudent. From what I've read current model HP magazines are a bit better then earlier ones. I also agree on not purchasing after market magazines for the HP.  

• Like 1

Took the Hi-Point out and put 62 rounds down the pipe.  Had 2 failure to feeds with ball ammunition.  Chalked that up to my daughter limp wristing.  When her boyfriend and I shot it, there was no problem what so ever.  I corrected her shooting form and her next two mags were perfect.  Then I fired 12 hollow points.  I had two FTFs on that.  I figure a good polishing will take care if that problem.  As for accuracy, it was fine. Groups were averaging 2-4 inches at 15 yards. 

The sights are a combination of a yellow dot post front sight and a two red dot rear sight.  They were sharp and very easy to pick up.

It's a very comfortable pistol to shoot, unlike other blow back pistols I've had in the past.  Seems like in lighter .380 blowback pistols, the recoil is extremely noticeable to me.  With a SIG 230 I once had my hand would be literally shaking after two magazines.

All in all, I am a very happy camper with this purchase.  Ugly as sin, but worth every penny of $125!  :D

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

LOL. "Ugly as Sin & FUGLY" get used a lot in commenting on H-P pistols. The reduced recoil is another frequent comment. Weight and mass coupled with a good stout spring can sure do a lot to dampen the recoil impulse. Couple that with the grip angle and all of a sudden you realize the people who designed and built that comparatively inexpensive gun were pretty darn smart.

• Like 2

Have they ever tried coming out with a more attractive firearm?

Actually yes, the ones made now look significantly better than the earliest ones manufactured and sold. Think along these lines, form follows function. Then think along the lines of maximizing profit while maintaining or even improving reliability. That blowback action pot metal slide mass thing really works. HPA got it right and I hope they continue to stay in business and we continue to poke playfully admiring fun at them. 

• Like 2

My first handgun I carried last year was a HighPoint 380. This year it's a Diamondback Full Size 9mm.  Have shot both at the range many times without a single FTF, FTE or misfire.  Being over 70 I don't really care what people think about me or what I have anymore.  :rofl:

Edited by Chartiers
  • Like 2

My first handgun I carried last year was a HighPoint 380. This year it's a Diamondback Full Size Nine.  Have shot both at the range many times without a single FTF, FTE or misfire.  Being over 70 I don't really care what people think about me or what I have anymore.  :rofl:

Well good for you and keep on keeping on!

I really don't think they're all that ugly. Some other handguns are not all that attractive either. Like maybe..............A Glock.  :rock:

They're pretty good guns for the money. Mine's like a tank.

Edited by roverboy
  • Like 1

The sights are a combination of a yellow dot post front sight and a two red dot rear sight.  They were sharp and very easy to pick up.

I really like the sights on my mom's Hi-Point pistols.  I don't own one of their pistols but do have one of the 9mm carbines to which I would trust my life if necessary.  My mom has an HP pistol in 9mm which I bought her, just to let her try out a 9mm and thinking she might 'trade up' one day only to have her like it so much that I don't think she'd ever part with it.  In fact, she likes it so much that she bought one in .45 for herself.  There is a good chance I will eventually buy a 9mm Hi Point pistol or maybe a .40 (I don't own anything in .40 and go back and forth between not wanting to add another caliber and wanting to at least have the caliber covered with something.)  It would probably be a truck gun at most - not because I wouldn't trust a Hi-Point pistol, specifically but because I don't really like striker fired pistols, in general.  Well, that and the fact that my Ruger P95 pistols are no more heavy and bulky - maybe a little less - and there are mags for them that hold almost double what the Hi-Points hold.

Edited by JAB

BLASPHEMY!!!! :rofl:

Most modern polymer framed striker fired pistol's are going to always be ugly ducklings. As long as they're ergonomically correct, mechanically reliable and consistently accurate to my ability to effectively shoot them then its a non issue to me.

• Like 1

Most modern polymer framed striker fired pistol's are going to always be ugly ducklings. As long as they're ergonomically correct, mechanically reliable and consistently accurate to my ability to effectively shoot them then its a non issue to me.

I have a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 that I carry and I think it's a pretty good looking pistol for a polymer framed striker pistol.  I am very happy with this pistol.

I have a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 that I carry and I think it's a pretty good looking pistol for a polymer framed striker pistol.  I am very happy with this pistol.

LOL. Beauty's always at its very best in the eyes of the beholder. Ask the mother of the winner of an ugly baby contest if her babies beautiful. If she's a good mother she's going to look you straight in the eye and tell you yes, regardless of evidence elsewise.

But FWIW the PT111 isn't a bad looking pistol...and the ones I've shot ran pretty good too.

• Like 2