Commenter goes off on. Chan 5 over bad reporting

A metro officer was de commissioned over verbal comments towards someone he pulled over, but; chan 5 reported incorrect info on firearms law as shown below, ( good rant)

As commented by a guy named Dustin ( one of our family here ?)

I am very tired of the morons that News Channel 5 has writing the stories on their website, particularly, what appears to be an ongoing ignorance and/or desire to report misleading information concerning firearms in general as well the legality of their ownership and carrying/concealment.

“The driver did have a shot gun and hand gun but officials said they were licensed weapons. No charges were filed against the person.”

Other than very specific types of weapons (which you cannot purchase by standard means), ABSOLUTELY NO FIREARM IS REQUIRED TO BE LICENSED IN THE STATE OF TENNESSEE. In fact, there is no, and nor should there be, any office or infrastructure in this state to maintain such invasive records in the first place!

ADDITIONALLY, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE A CONCEAL CARRY PERMIT TO TRANSPORT FIREARMS IN YOUR OWN VEHICLE! While there are restrictions on how they are supposed to be transported, there is no law, and nor should there be, that restricts the transportation of firearms in a private, non-felon’s vehicle.

Long arms (shotguns and rifles meeting minimal length requirements) are not required to be transported in the same manner as handguns by non-permit holders.

Your story has horribly inaccurate information concerning the “firearms being licensed”. One of your competitors’ websites accurately reported that the DRIVER was licensed to carry the firearms.

CHANNEL 5, YOUR SERVICE, YOUR JOB, IS TO REPORT NEWS AND TO DO SO ACCURATELY. YOU ARE A MEANS OF INFORMATION AND FACTS THAT MANY PERSONS AND CITIZENS RELY ON, SOME EXCLUSIVELY.

SINCE OUR CITIZENRY’S RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS IS SECOND ONLY TO THE RIGHT OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH, PRESS AND RELIGION, I WOULD DETERMINE IT TO BE VERY IMPORTANT IN THE OVERALL GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS.

ACCURATELY REPORTING THE LAWS AND THE ELEMENTS SURROUNDING LAWS IS VERY IMPORTANT, AS NOT DOING SO CAN CAUSE LESSER INFORMED PATRONS TO YOUR NEWS SERVICE TO WALK AWAY WITH FALSEHOODS AND COUNTERFACTUAL THOUGHTS.
  • Like 4
  • Authorized Vendor

Things like crappy reporting in only the tip of the iceberg why news people generally are the most mistrusted people in the country save the politicians. It seems news reporters gave up reporting the facts years ago and would rather put their own liberal twist on most everything. I don't put much stock in any of the news people at any of our local stations. I've caught them all twisting the facts from time to time to fit their own agendas.

• Like 1

Channel 5 is the worst local news station out there. I can't bear to watch them.

Channel 5 is the worst local news station out there. I can't bear to watch them.

I dunno. At least they don't have a weatherman named Barrack Shapiro. DO you think hes smart enough to know how many people he pissed off by putting those two names together? Surely his mother didn't actually name him that.

Well, "Dustin" ain't right on the money either:

ADDITIONALLY, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE A CONCEAL CARRY PERMIT TO TRANSPORT FIREARMS IN YOUR OWN VEHICLE! While there are restrictions on how they are supposed to be transported, ...

There are no restrictions/requirements regarding the transportation of hand guns or long guns in TN.

Long arms (shotguns and rifles meeting minimal length requirements) are not required to be transported in the same manner as handguns by non-permit holders.

Comment makes no sense, as again, there are no requirements for transport of any firearm (other than one must not be prohibited from possession by law).

Of course his intent is well taken, but best to be completely accurate about firearm laws yourself if you're ranting about inaccurate coverage of them. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

This reminds me of the time we watched Phil Williams talk about the dangers of robberies with .50 caliber rifles being used in armed robberies. Cause God knows I need something some and compact to hide in my pocket until I find my victim to rob.

I don't think there is a lot of respect left for most news stations. They all lean in one direction or another. But I do believe channel 5 is very sloppy with their facts especially when it comes to anything that deals with guns.
  • Like 1

heh, as if they did not know what they are doing.   The liberal press reports these things incorrectly on purpose to add as much stigma against firearms as possible.   The 'slips' about full auto assault rifles are intentional.  The 'OMG lookit all dat ammo' skewing (he had over FIFTY OMG rounds of ammo on him!) is intentional.   The multiple firearm angle (HOLY #$%^B  HE had 3 guns in that car!!!!)  is intentional.   Nevermind that he was coming back from a 3 gun match and is a professional shooter --- he had THREE GUNS and LIKE MORE THAN 10 rounds of ammo!!!    It is all intentional.   Ranting about it or correcting it is like trying to teach table manners to a starving monkey.