Need some AR Work

I need to replace the standard delta ring and front sight post on a 16" PSA upper with a Troy Bravo Rail and low profile gas block.  I wish I had a garage, a bench, and the tools so I could watch some videos and learn to do this all myself, but since I live in a townhouse, I'm going to need some help.

If anybody has a name in mind for someone who can do this in the middle Tennessee area, I'd be glad to give a local business or individual some work for a fair price.

Thanks.

I need to replace the standard delta ring and front sight post on a 16" PSA upper with a Troy Bravo Rail and low profile gas block.  I wish I had a garage, a bench, and the tools so I could watch some videos and learn to do this all myself, but since I live in a townhouse, I'm going to need some help.

If anybody has a name in mind for someone who can do this in the middle Tennessee area, I'd be glad to give a local business or individual some work for a fair price.

Thanks.

I would help you out in a heartbeat if my gun room was functional. I'm in the middle of the remodel from hell, and can't even get to my bench. You're not talking about anything too difficult tool wise. 

I don't have a name for you but I can tell you the front sight on mine was a PAIN to get off. I ended up having to cut it off. I'm sure any gunsmith could do a better job than I did but just be aware of it and let them know up front if you want to save it. With that said if someone local to you chimes in and will help it's really not a difficult thing to do. Getting the front sight was by far the hardest part for me. Everything else is just turning and tightening. Getting the small roll pin in the gas block can be tricky but not difficult.

If you're talking an A2 Sight, the front pins are tapered, and can be real hard to get out. You may also have to tap the front site to get it moving after the pins are gone. I have taken a few off. Don't think I have had to cut one off, but have had to dremel the pins so I could beat them out.

Usually not a fun project.

Yeah, it's an A2 FSP.  I'm not worried about it being salvageable after since resale would be a whopping $10-$15.  I'd just like to get this done sometime next week (my low-profile gas block should be in then) so I can take advantage of a few weeks off and hit the range before it gets oppressively hot.

I live in hendersonville, come on over and I'd be happy to show you how to do it and let you do it to get the experience. 

Thanks for the generous offer!  I should have the gas block in next week.  I'll PM you when it's in to get a time, address, and your favorite beer. 

• Like 2

I live in hendersonville, come on over and I'd be happy to show you how to do it and let you do it to get the experience. 

Thanks for the generous offer!  I should have the gas block in next week.  I'll PM you when it's in to get a time, address, and your favorite beer. 

Be very, Very, careful btq96r.

173rdABN will take one look at that 16 inch barrel and he'll have you efile another Form1 right then and there so that he can crop it down for another lower! 

I think his rule is that there is no such thing as too many SBRs!  :tough:  

Heck he was eyeing my 14.7 pinned and welded M4 today wanting to "Make it Right."   :dunno:     

• Like 1

I think his rule is that there is no such thing as too many SBRs!  :tough:  

Heck he was eyeing my 14.7 pinned and welded M4 today wanting to "Make it Right."   :dunno:     

Should have let me cut that thing…. You know you want me to :)

Hey, don't even get me going on to many SBR's sir… I know your secret! And I only have one…or two….. anddddd yeahhhhh……. Ok, I like short guns… haha

Be very, Very, careful btq96r.

173rdABN will take one look at that 16 inch barrel and he'll have you efile another Form1 right then and there so that he can crop it down for another lower! 

Ha!  I'm pretty tapped on gun funds after my traditional post-spring semester spending.

Well, good luck with the upper. I just soak the piss out of the pins with WD 40 and stick the upper in the freezer overnight if you have that kind of time. But then again, I'm patient and lazy.

Heat. Lots of it. Torch, then cool quick. They should pop right out.

That has to be the best looking cut-down & shaved FSB that I have ever seen.

Well Done!  :up:

Not mine, just a nice example.

'Course, they don't have to look "nice" at all, assuming they'll be under the handguard.

- OS

Not mine, just a nice example.

'Course, they don't have to look "nice" at all, assuming they'll be under the handguard.

- OS

Can the barrel nut and delta ring still slide off with that shaved off FSP?

Oh, you didn't mention needing to change barrel nut, figgered that rail used existing one, I don't know them by name.  You can cut Delta assembly off.

- OS

Oh, you didn't mention needing to change barrel nut, figgered that rail used existing one, I don't know them by name.  You can cut Delta assembly off.

- OS

It uses the existing barrel nut, but the install video I saw just takes everything off, then reassembles with the new rail and a low profile gas block.  Didn't think about just cutting the delta assembly off.

Yeah, it's an A2 FSP.  I'm not worried about it being salvageable after since resale would be a whopping $10-$15.  I'd just like to get this done sometime next week (my low-profile gas block should be in then) so I can take advantage of a few weeks off and hit the range before it gets oppressively hot.

Can't salvage an A2 sight. The sight and the barrel are drilled at the time of installation, so it's a one shot deal. I have taken a few of them off, but have only ever had one installed. I had these guys do that...

https://www.adcofirearms.com/

Rainier, and most other rail makers, have rails that use milspec barrel nuts with the delta ring removed. Almost all of them recommend cutting the delta ring off.

As Mike said the FSB is only good on your barrel using the taper pins. I have drilled and tapped the bayonet lug for a setscrew and used it to secure it to another barrel.

If anyone helping him needs tools let me know.

You can remove the A2, dremel it, and reinstall it. The problem is moving the A2 sight to another gun. Just gotta get it off the gun without ruining it. May wanna get some spare taper pins.