A great success story.

It's amazing what unfilled demand coupled with a lot of hard work will do.

I really dislike hearing people making excuses of why they aren't successful. Stories like the show that it's usually the fault of the man in the mirror, not someone else, for where one is in life.

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

I really dislike hearing people making excuses of why they aren't successful. Stories like the show that it's usually the fault of the man in the mirror, not someone else, for where one is in life.

Agreed.  Great ideas are a dime a dozen.  Executing on those ideas to make a sustainable business is really hard.

As an old quote - often attributed to Thomas Edison says, "Opportunity is often missed because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Or, as Calvin Coolidge said, "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

• Like 4

Haiti?
I spent a lot of time working in Caruthersville.

Born in Hayti... grew up in the sticks about 3 miles north of Steele just west of Shakerag and Southeast of Dogskin in Gumbo valley! Where did you work at in Cvile?

Taylor sand and Gravel dredged sand and gravel out of Miss. River at Caruthersville plus had a contractor or contractors that had asphalt plants at Hayti. Lots of activity in the 70's including bootleggers running whiskey into TN.
  • Like 1

Taylor sand and Gravel dredged sand and gravel out of Miss. River at Caruthersville plus had a contractor or contractors that had asphalt plants at Hayti. Lots of activity in the 70's including bootleggers running whiskey into TN.

One of my brothers worked at.. I think it was called delta asphalt in hayti in the early 70's.   when I was going through in processing in memphis  for the air force in 1983.  i talked to a guy who used to go to the chaparral and load up on coors and other things and bootleg them into tennessee.  the then county sheriff at the time own the chaparral! 

Edited by ou812

One of my brothers worked at.. I think it was called delta asphalt in hayti in the early 70's.   when I was going through in processing in memphis  for the air force in 1983.  i talked to a guy who used to go to the chaparral and load up on coors and other things and bootleg them into tennessee.  the then county sheriff at the time own the chaparral! 

Clyde Orton was the sheriff's name.  He ran a nice place.  You are right on delta asphalt. 

To get back to the thread subject.  I buy some things from Midway as they stock a lot of items.

• Like 1

I'm  a great Larry Potterfield admirer and cheerleader for Midway... I've done lots of business over the years with them...I'm old enough to have some old "Midway" headstamped brass layin around...

admirin leroy

I'm  a great Larry Potterfield admirer and cheerleader for Midway... I've done lots of business over the years with them...I'm old enough to have some old "Midway" headstamped brass layin around...

admirin leroy

I have some of that brass as well. I remember when I was a kid, you'd call and place an order, and you usually talked to either Larry or his wife. They had free shipping then.

• Like 1