Questions about building a gaming computer

My sons old PC has finally given up ghost.  We are looking at getting a new one instead of fixing this one because it is 8+ years old.

We had a local computer store build this one.  We are trying to figure how to get the best bang for the buck.  Should we just buy another computer or order the components we want and find someone to help us put it together.

He will not be using this for anything except gaming and watching youtube.  He has a Mac for his college work.

We are looking for opinions on:

Which components to buy (graphic card xyz or processor xxx etc.)

Where to buy them

Best way to learn how to put them together

Would love to keep the cost in the $500-$700 range if doable.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, it's no longer possible to build one for less than you can buy one and end up with a comparable box.

I use www.tomshardware.com to compare parts, especially CPUs, GPUs, and drives. They have lots of benchmarks and several guides including some for best parts for gaming rigs. You'll find there's usually a significant price drop once you move off the latest model of CPU or GPU. I'd drop down a level on the CPU and spend as much as possible on the GPU. Today's CPUs are so far ahead of the stuff from just a few years ago that the games are no longer CPU bound, generally speaking, but still benefit from top end graphics cards. RAM is cheap, so load it up.

SSD drives rock! Defnitely put your OS on one of those.

I usually get my parts from TigerDirect, Fry's, NewEgg, and occasionally Amazon.

Edited by monkeylizard

modern games are MOSTLY designed to run on systems between 1 and 5 years old.   That means a 64 bit dual core with a generous helping of ram and a 2-3 generation old graphics card will build you an inexpensive pc that can handle *most* games on the "next to highest" graphics settings.   The highest graphics settings often have extra stupid PC taxing effects that normal humans will barely notice ( a few folks claim these things matter).  Examples include rendering 1 mile of distant terrain/actors/etc instead of 1/4 a mile.   Just like in real distances, you cant really SEE extreme details 1 mile away (in the real world or the game world).   So, in a game, drawing a mountain that is a mile away as an image "imposter" compared to rendering every leaf on every tree of that mountain saves a ton of computing effort for minimal actual difference in appearance.    Think of it as using a backdrop at a photo shoot -- done correctly, you can't tell it is fake.

My advice, then, is to buy a bare-bones system somewhere cheap and upgrade the graphics card, ram, power supply to match.  The power supply may not *have* to be upgraded but *many* of the high end (even older high end) graphics cards can strain a low end power supply and that is bad news for the longevity of the machine.   And some really low end power supplies can't even boot the system with the worst power hog cards installed.

If you have the funds, I would *highly* recommend the next level of upgrades beyond that to be a quadcore processor.  After that,  a newer generation graphics card could increase the price.  

Where to buy them... varies, newegg is known as a good starting point, but shopping around gets you deals depending on who has what for sale today or tomorrow...  identify what you want to buy on a major site that has the parts (newegg again)  and then shop around for deals if you want or get it all there (remember that shopping around means paying shipping to more than one place and that can ruin the savings... saving 5 bucks then paying 10 more to ship does not work well).

Put them together:  well, putting it together is usually easy.  Its the first step of buying parts that work together that is critical.  Its easy to buy ram that does not work in your system and its really easy to get a CPU and motherboard mismatch.    The cpu/board problem is solved by getting the mentioned bare bones system -- that part will have been done for you.    So the key thing to figure out is making absolutely sure you buy the correct type of ram for your system, the rest of it should be fine so long as you don't buy like a mac graphics card for your PC or something along those lines.  

Avoid the bare-bones cheapo big store computers if yuo are not an expert.  Best buy, for example sells such machines but they also come pre-loaded with spyware/malware/adware/junkware that can really bloat and chug up a computer -- it can take an expert a couple of hours to get all that crap off their systems.   Try to find a more reputable system that is ready to go (OS loaded, computer will boot upon arrival, OS price is included in the system price, etc)  but with minimal junk.  If whatever you choose is loaded with junk, I will be happy to assist you in removing at least the bulk of the garbage.   Its amazing how slow a good PC will be with all that junk on it...  so you *want* to do this on a powergaming system.

Best way to learn how to put them together

Invite your friendly neighborhood monkeylizard over to walk you through it. :)

I'd be glad to help you assemble the parts and look over your shopping list for completenesss before you buy anything.

Edited by monkeylizard

If you don't know how to support them, I don't recommend custom builds. Cookie cutter desktops can be a bit more expensive, but you get a warranty and support with a single call versus calling the mobo manufacturer followed by the cpu manu, followed by....

with that budget you're somewhat limited away from the big players though. But you might be able to get an ibuypower rig or something to that effect 

One of the pros to building your own is that you can upgrade bits as-and-when your budget suits you. Instead of buying an average computer, you can get a decent graphics card this month, a better CPU in six months, a bigger/better hard-drive next year and so on.

For a gaming PC, your best bang-for-the-buck is going to be in the graphics card for which you'll probably be spending somewhere above 150 for something reasonably capable. If you need new core stuff, you're probably realistically looking for a new motherboard, CPU and memory (at least 8GB recommended) which you could pull together for around 200, possibly less. One gotcha is that your power requirements might put you in the market for a PSU upgrade. SSDs are definitely nice to have but I wouldn't put it as a priority. If you have a case, PSU and DVD drives (keyboard, mouse and monitor) that you're happy with, may as well stick with them as pay for new ones in a new system.

Then, of course, there's the operating system which I will make no comment upon.

If just for gaming and YouTube, you cold pick up an Xbox One. It will support all xbox one games for as long as they make it and support it. The 360 had a good long run. I used to build my pcs for games but eventually went the console route. Just easier.

Newegg has some barebones kits that you can get good deals on. Not always... My latest PC build was a six core AMD machine. I got it when Newegg had a screaming deal on it.

As for putting it together, I'll be glad to bring along my hammer. I saw monkeylizard has already volunteered to help but I thought I would offer up my help if you want/need it. We can have a PC building party!

If just for gaming and YouTube, you cold pick up an Xbox One. It will support all xbox one games for as long as they make it and support it. The 360 had a good long run. I used to build my pcs for games but eventually went the console route. Just easier.

I'll second this, I've always built my own gaming PC's but my last one died three years ago and my son told me to try his PS3 and after a bit of time getting used to it I looked at the cost and value and never bothered with another PC.

Other than a handful of specialized games it's all on Consoles now and my old eyes sure like a 32" or a 72" screen a bit better.

I've had a Xbox 360 which red ringed multiple times and now a PS3 and soon a PS4. The games hold their value better than PC games and not having to maintain a PC is nice.

He has a Xbox One but a couple of the games he is really into are PC only.

If I may ask, which games?

Also, for the purposes of me creating a parts list for this build...

Do you have...

A licensed copy of windows to install?

An ATX case in good condition that has good-excellent ventilation?

Storage (hdd, etc?)

DVD/Blu-Ray drive/drives?

Thanks!

If I may ask, which games?

Also, for the purposes of me creating a parts list for this build...

Do you have...

A licensed copy of windows to install?

An ATX case in good condition that has good-excellent ventilation?

Storage (hdd, etc?)

DVD/Blu-Ray drive/drives?

Thanks!

WOW is one of his favorites

Yes - we have a licensed copy of windows

He has his old case - I am assuming it is good

needs storage

has a dvd drive

Hokay. first and foremost... consider replacing your old case. Fans are likely worn out, and newer cases have some awesome airflow setups. I really like my Corsair Air 540. It's ridiculous, and the easiest case to build in I've ever had.

AMD Build -

Intel Build 

Note. I enjoy building, and enjoy taking them apart and rebuilding. Usually end up with a new system every 3 years or so, old boxes go to family/friends for basically the cost of the OS+Case, which starts me on my next build. If I didn't, then I definitely wouldn't get into this at all. It can be frustrating when you have no clue which part is broken down, and you're reading through memory dumps to find a clue as to what's screwed up. Or when you're reading trouble LEDs off the mobo. That's the worst.

Anyway... Good luck!

PS: The listed cooler is tall. be aware of that and measure the case you're using. Also, these GPUS dump a lot of heat. if you don't have a well vented case - the cpu cooler will not keep the cpu cool. and bad things. all the bad things. go closed loop water cooling (with temp monitoring - in case the pump fails! can happen!) if you can. Don't do a custom loop. too much work, too expensive.

Edited by cj0e

Im on PC number 5. I will build it and then get bored with it. I dont use it much, but at least it packs power in every field, from CAD to games.  For under $700 it is quite easy to build a great pc.