Bad way to start May

Those of you whom are friends with me on Facebook already know but for the rest,

On the first of May, I suffered a severe heart attack while working offshore in Brazil. This actually happened on my off time, as we work 12 hour shifts. I was getting in the shower and for the next 6 hours I was so bad off that I could not even use the phone in my cabin to call the medic.

They gave me an EKG on board and confirmed that I should be dead right now. Shell Got me a medical chopper immediately. The next thing I knew I was being taken into the ER, I called my wife with my cell and just got that info out before they needed to operate, This scared the crap out of her and me because I am in a third world country,

They put 2 stints on my right side and told me I needed another surgery for the left side. The translator app on my Galaxy phone has been pretty much the only way to communicate with them. The nurses do the same, my company paid for 6 nurses for me, they are lovely caring professionals. For the last 5 or 6 years, when I quit smoking oddly enough, I have had Hypertension after the first surgery my blood pressure was in the low medium range,

I just got done with the second surgery, the doctors tell me that I have the heart of a baby now, besides the language barrier and the fact that I am here without my family this is by far the best medical care I have ever had in my life.

I would greatly appreciate all of your prayers for my family during this, it has been hard on them I should get to come home in the next few days, and as crazy as this may sound I actually thank God for this as it almost certainly pro longed my life, I work for an awesome company and will be paid while I recooperate

Any way thanks for listening!

Edited by willis68
  • Like 19

If the surgeries and subsequent medical treatment were and are being done in Brazil then you most certainly are receiving top quality care. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you and a return trip home in as timely a manner as possible.

That would be a bad way to start May, if you were here at home with your loved ones. Having to go through that alone in a foreign country is just plain horrible.

Sorry to hear it, dude. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Like 1
Prayers for your speedy recovery. As someone who has also suffered and been treated for a life threating
condition in a 3rd world country I know you have thought of this but I strongly recommend you get all your medical records prior to returning home, especially xrays, treatment specifics, etc. They will come in
handy for future care, insurance and the like.

All the best.
  • Authorized Vendor

As the beneficiary of a stent and a quadruple bypass back in 08 I can relate to what you've been going through. You have my prayers for a speedy recovery and just know.....things will get better. ;)

• Like 1