Bug Out Bikes

I ain't pedaling squat. Sorry. Too old, fat and broken.

IMHO, Daryl Dixon has set the standard for SHTF bikes with his new ride.

image.jpg1_zpssyxfog1a.jpg

This is one of those "made for TV" bikes that looks cool, but are impractical. The knobbies make road handling too squirrelly.  It's too low and has no rock guard for the pipes for off road.  As far as bicycles are concerned, I'd go with my existing road bike after swapping out the pedals so I could wear normal shoes. I have a mountain bike, but riding it any distance... say, over 10 miles... is a major haul. 

As far as bicycles are concerned, I'd go with my existing road bike after swapping out the pedals so I could wear normal shoes. I have a mountain bike, but riding it any distance... say, over 10 miles... is a major haul. 

Here my solutions to the road bike vs. mountain bike question and also the pedals.    Since we are talking "survival" situations, I'm not likely to chose my road bike.   I going to pick my Giant Roam 2 that is marketed as a X-Road bike.    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.2/11508/55859/#overview    I've found it to be a good blend of both worlds for me.    It's much more road friendly than a pure mountain bike but can go offroad.  

Part of that good blend is the hybrid tire.   If you are riding on pavement, your contact point of the tire is very short tread.   When in soft ground, the side knobs come into play.   The picture makes the center tread much taller than it is.   http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/p.rx2.tire/557/52917/    This style of tire can be put on most mountain bikes to make them more mixed terrain friendly.   

Finally, on this bike I have two sided pedals.    One side has the SPD clipless design and the opposite side has regular pedals.    So I have my choice of whichever shoes I want to wear.   http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/road/pedals/pedals/pd-a530.html

• Like 1

Anyone planning on using a bike should definitely have one now and be riding it regularly. Just like humping a pack it takes practice. I hear several people who's plans include walking home or bugging out on foot with a small to medium sized pack. When was the last time you rucked up and did 4 miles, or 8 or 20? I did a 20 mile ruck back in the winter and got reminded quickly that I'm not a 20 year old Marine anymore. A bike is the same way. If you plan to use a bike, you should be riding it to work, to the store, and on the weekends as often as possible. I'm not much of a bike person. I'll stick with horsepower just as people have for years. My decision is based off the fact that I have horses available, along with enough land to graze them all spring summer and fall and still have land for hay in the winter, as well as the equipment to use the horses to harvest the hay. This is my cousins team, many of you have seen our draft. You could comfortably haul half a ton in a wagon 20 miles a day if needed.

2012-10-07_10-45-00_90.jpg

• Like 2

Here my solutions to the road bike vs. mountain bike question and also the pedals.    Since we are talking "survival" situations, I'm not likely to chose my road bike.   I going to pick my Giant Roam 2 that is marketed as a X-Road bike.    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.2/11508/55859/#overview    I've found it to be a good blend of both worlds for me.    It's much more road friendly than a pure mountain bike but can go offroad.  

Something like this would be what I would be after at maybe half the cost.  I'd want to add panhards and a rear rack with maybe what I remember being called a sissy bar.  I'd want to be able to mount a large back to it and a sissy bar makes sense in order to tie off the pack.

Something like this would be what I would be after at maybe half the cost.

That's very easy to do, you just have to keep an eye out on Craigslist. The one I bought had less than 100 miles, not a scratch, never been off the pavement to get dirty. Seriously you could have taken it to a bike shop as sold it as new. He had put around $150 in accessories on it so he had close to $800 in the bike and I paid him $375. I was a happy camper...
  • Like 1