Finally took my wife to shoot the ar, need some guidance

hlb14

Not sure of your definition of concussion. Do you mean sound impact to the ears or the thud to the chest?
If it's is the overall impact to the chest and body, move out from under a covered area and a lot of that will go away. It is contained by small areas. Not sure if that is how you are shooting.
If it's to the ears, plugs+muffs are probably the best option.
My wife hasn't shot mine yet but I get the gas to the nose feeling when I shoot mine from the bench. Not sure if that's a gas block thing or a muzzle device thing. I have plans to get either a kinetic tech device or a battle comp for mine. Two different things I know but I want to try both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife hasn't shot mine yet but I get the gas to the nose feeling when I shoot mine from the bench. Not sure if that's a gas block thing or a muzzle device thing. I have plans to get either a kinetic tech device or a battle comp for mine. Two different things I know but I want to try both.

What charging handle are you using? There are several that combat that

I have tinnitus and other ear and hearing problems!  We shoot at an indoor range.  I understand the problems your wife has with the concussion from guns! I have the same problem. I hated having to shoot next to a lane with a .40 cal or larger or shooting our .357 mag.. I could feel every shot they fired or I fired from the .357.  I first had to use double ear protection.  I used Howard Leight MAX Lite Foam Ear Plugs Uncorded NRR 30 plus ear muffs. That worked great, but with my hearing problems I couldn't hear the people I was shooting with when they were trying to talk to me.  So I found Walkers EXT Range Shooting Folding Muffs.  I didn't need the ear plugs, but still couldn't hear anyone talking to me.  A friend suggested electronic ear muffs.  I tried and returned a few pairs. I finally found Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs.  They work perfectly.  I don't need to use ear plugs with them, and I don't feel the other guns on the range or the lager guns I am shooting, and I can hear other shooters conversations over 5 lanes away.   

I may not help your wife's problems but it fixed mine!

http://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Range-Shooting-Folding-Muff/dp/B00AW5YFOK

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01902-Electronic-Shooting-Earmuffs/dp/B007BGSI5U

• Like 1

where you stand affects the blast/concussion a lot.   Behind the shooter is good, say 45 degree arc or less behind the shooter.   Beside the shooter is very bad.   Also the lanes and such... indoors, there is not much you can do, AR in a concrete bunker is just plain rough no matter where you stand.   Outside, no roof on soft grass would be nice ... you want the sound to hit something that will absorb it, not reflect it, basically -- wood/dirt absorb, concrete reflects, etc.

If you cannot shoot the gun in a place where the environment softens the sound,  you may want to simply consider shooting something else.   Get a 9mm  "AR" setup or something.

• Like 1

Standard charging handle. How would the handle affect that?

Probably talking of one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/856208/pri-gas-buster-with-big-latch-charging-handle-assembly-ar-15-aluminum-matte

Its supposed to redirect gasses away from the face, though I do not have any issues with that on any of my ARs so never needed to try one.

Probably talking of one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/856208/pri-gas-buster-with-big-latch-charging-handle-assembly-ar-15-aluminum-matte
Its supposed to redirect gasses away from the face, though I do not have any issues with that on any of my ARs so never needed to try one.

This is one option for sure. You can also get a BCM gunfighter handle and use some RTV where it meets the upper on top to cut down gasses as well. A Google of arfcom will net you several how to's on that. This is the road I would take myself

This is one option for sure. You can also get a BCM gunfighter handle and use some RTV where it meets the upper on top to cut down gasses as well. A Google of arfcom will net you several how to's on that. This is the road I would take myself

DIY is definitely my first go-to when I have to look for a solution, specially seeing how proud they are of some of these handles.

another vote for a linear comp. I put one on my 6.8 it works rather well. Everyone beside me at the range seems to think so as well ;). I got one in OD green to match all the other doo-dads in od green on that particular rifle for pretty cheap.

I have been preaching the benefits of a tuned gun for a very long time. In most cases it requires an adjustable gas block.

I had a guy tell me a heavy buffer would be better to push through crude but that is just not so. Kinetic energy increases by a factor of 2 with weight increases and he same energy increases by a factor of 4 with an increase in speed. So a faster, lightweight buffer will have more energy than a slow, heavy buffer. So as the buffer is returning to battery the lighter buffer is not only faster to return to battery for faster follow up shots but it also has more energy to get past any crude. Another added benefit is there is less felt recoil because a gun that is tuned with a lightweight buffer hits the bottom of the buffer tube with less force. Then it comes to a complete stop before returning to battery.

You use the adjustable gas block to slow the bolt, carrier and buffer as the gun extracts, ejects and impact the buffer tube. After that the spring pressure is what pushes past the crude and with a lighter, faster buffer it does it better.
  • Like 1

I have been preaching the benefits of a tuned gun for a very long time. In most cases it requires an adjustable gas block.

You use the adjustable gas block to slow the bolt, carrier and buffer as the gun extracts, ejects and impact the buffer tube. After that the spring pressure is what pushes past the crude and with a lighter, faster buffer it does it better.

(Rifle noob) Does an adjustable gas block favor a particular gas system, d.i. or piston? This has me thinking of putting together another rifle for her, something she'll enjoy shooting.

I would not use a piston system. Not because an adjustable gas block would not work but because of the added weight. With a female shooter I would try to build the gun as light as possible.

Also, my wife doesn't like all the tactical do dads I tend to put on a gun. She prefers a gun that is minimalistic.

• Like 2

This is Rachel (John's wife). We built my AR to be lightweight AND have as little recoil as possible (I'm VERY recoil-averse). I went with a carbon fiber lower and handguard, Ergo pistol grip (thinner profile made it easier for my smaller hands), heavy buffer and Springco enhanced buffer spring (to balance the recoil from having such a lightweight gun), 16" pencil barrel and used our proprietary comp/hider.

I echo what a lot of guys have said about ear protection. That made all the difference in the world for me.

I know you're in Franklin, but we're doing a Range Day this Sunday. It's free and you and your wife are welcome to come. She can come shoot 7-10 different ARs, some of which will be suppressed (each has a different brake/hider on it, too). It'd be a great way for her to try out different guns without you having to spend money to purchase items that she may/may not like. Just a suggestion. I posted it in the "Events" section if you need more information.

I absolutely LOVE shooting with my husband and would hate anything that kept me from going to the range with him - especially something that's easily remedied. If she'd like to call/email/PM me to talk further about it with another female AR shooter, I'm more than happy to help in whatever way we can!

• Like 2