Hey GT Can You Make A Knife Out Of This?

• Authorized Vendor

Would you anneal it first, profile and grind then re-heat treat? Gonna follow this!

I would probably go that route but I'm not set up with a forge right now so making something like that is out of the question at this point.

Would you anneal it first, profile and grind then re-heat treat? Gonna follow this!

Depends on how hard the steel is now.  It may not be that hard and could still be fairly easily cut/filed/formed into the desired shape.  Otherwise, the heat treat shop you currently use for hardening could easily do the anneal, or most any local machine shop should be able to do it at well. 

Edited by peejman

Depends on how hard the steel is now.  It may not be that hard and could still be fairly easily cut/filed/formed into the desired shape.  Otherwise, the heat treat shop you currently use for hardening could easily do the anneal, or most any local machine shop should be able to do it at well. 

Yeah, a lot of the bushcrafty types modify Old Hickory knives and other, old carbon steel kitchen knives into bushcraft knives.  Most of those folks do not anneal before modding and, by working carefully so as to not allow the metal to become too hot (frequently dipping into water while grinding/cutting/sanding the blades) they do not seem to need to be re-heat treated afterwards.

Here is one example of a guy who took an Old Hickory cleaver and made three knives out of it - two to use as 'camp knife' and 'camp food prep' type knives and one tiny knife.  He mentions working carefully and keeping the blade from overheating in order to avoid losing the heat treating:

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2014/07/question-of-the-day-have-you-ever-modified-an-old-hickory/

Here is a link to a youtube video where a guy demonstrates making a very nice (IMO) Kephart style bushcraft knife out of an Old Hickory butcher knife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziV3R9Jcro

I think it looks even better after he modifies the handle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MhQasRzQ8

Here the same guy demonstrates his modded Old Hickory against a Mora Clipper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E0XnYR9OZc

Edited by JAB
Yeah I wouldn't cut up an old cleaver to modify. The cleaver has to much character. As far as annealing, just throw it in a camp fire overnight. It'll soften as long as it hits critical temp (1450 degrees) and then cools at a rate of 50 degrees an hour or less until it's below 950. It will need to be reheat treated. Lots of work for repurposed steel if you don't have a forge.

Had someone else suggest to keep it as is. I think I may do just that. Would ya'll try and clean it up some or just leave the patina?

I'd put a little oil on it and scrub it with some scotch-brite.  Just enough to remove the scale. 

• Admin Team
Yep, in the case of those old carbon steel knives, the oxidation is a feature not a detraction. It adds a little character and protects the steel underneath.

I might hit it with a little steel wool. Apply a light oil to the handle and maybe the blade. Then sharpen the blade - I'd use a steeper 25 degree angle on a cleaver and put it to use chopping some pigs.