Trailer Axle Repair - Memphis area

I have recently acquired a trailer that's been in my family for years.  In all the time my dad was using it one of the spindles was bent, since it was used mainly on the family farm it was no big deal.

I would like to the axle repaired, tried a google search but just about everything that came up was for big rig trailers.

I also looked online and can't find a direct replacement axle, figures.  My current axle has 46" between spring centers and 63" hub face.  The closest I can find is a straight axle (no biggie there it would raise the trailer some) and 61" hub face.  I think I would need to change out the wheels to a reduce/increase the offset to accommodate for the shorter overall axle.

So can anyone on the forum recommend someone/someplace to fix a utility trailer axle?

Thanks

It would be cheaper and easier to buy new spindles and take it to a welding shop to have the welded on. Considering these hold the wheels on I would trust anyone but a professional welder to do it.

It would be cheaper and easier to buy new spindles and take it to a welding shop to have the welded on. Considering these hold the wheels on I would trust anyone but a professional welder to do it.

Agreed, which is where I need a good referral.

If you cant find anything closer Google "Redneck Trailer Supplies". Click on "locations" in the pull down menu. They have several locations but none in Tennessee or even Arkansas but if you ever have a reason to come to Sikeston, Mo they would probably have a replacement axle. Redneck supplies the trailer manufacturers around Sikeston with parts and sell to general public reasonably. Call and inquire if interested in cost of parts.

I have recently acquired a trailer that's been in my family for years.  In all the time my dad was using it one of the spindles was bent, since it was used mainly on the family farm it was no big deal.

I would like to the axle repaired, tried a google search but just about everything that came up was for big rig trailers.

I also looked online and can't find a direct replacement axle, figures.  My current axle has 46" between spring centers and 63" hub face.  The closest I can find is a straight axle (no biggie there it would raise the trailer some) and 61" hub face.  I think I would need to change out the wheels to a reduce/increase the offset to accommodate for the shorter overall axle.

So can anyone on the forum recommend someone/someplace to fix a utility trailer axle?

Thanks

PM sent

Any good metal fabrication or welding shop can do that repair job and according to google-Fu you've several in your area. Additionally you can contact a local community college and inquire about having a class do the work with you providing the materials. I've had excellent results just going to the repair shop I'm interested in, looking at the layout and paying attention to how the treat me and answer my questions.

As for the lengths, trailer axles tend to be sold in the most common lengths, trailers that need shorter axles are often made by cutting and welding the axle tubes to length.  As for repairing yours, like the others said, look for welding and fabrication shops, trailer repair is a standard service in that type of shop.

We use Northern tool axles at work. We buy the build your own axles and the weld in spindles they have any thing you would need including the 120 volt mig welder if you want to bring it to Nashville I'll weld it for you
Thanks all, lots of great info as always.

I know when asking for advice you will get lots of "well this is what I would do" answers. Got one from a co-worker today. He said "I'd just put it all back together and leave it, put cheap used tires on it and repack the bearings every couple of years." That's all fine and dandy until it breaks down when you are in the middle of nowhere.

I wish some of you guys offering to help were closer or that this month was so danged busy (graduations, birthdays, vacations, etc.).

Since the axle is a piece of 1 3/4" square steel, I'm thinking I'll get 2 new spindles and hubs (with the same bolt pattern i have now) and get a local shop to put them on. Emailed one shop earlier and they came back with $75/hr shop rate, $50 min. Figure I clean up the part of the axle where the spindles are real good and all they have to do is cut, align & weld. I was planning on flipping the axle, but I'll wait. May end up gifting this one to my sister in Knoxville and getting a trailer better suited to what I need.

So, 2 spindles, 2 new hubs & shop fees and I'm done and will have a trailer that may just out last me.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442389_200442389
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442392_200442392

Raildog - I thought about the make your own axle. I'm no where near comfortable enough with my welding skills to take that task on yet.

I did consider this axle, it would give the trailer about a 3-4" lift since the existing axle is a drop axle.
http://www.easternmarine.com/63-round-tube-straight-trailer-axle-2700-50220
Requires the spring pads to be welded on, assuming a 120v welder can handle that task?

Again thanks to all for the leads. I'll be making a few phone calls tomorrow.

I don't know about the Memphis area but here in middle TN there are a few trailer places that sell axles, BJ's in Lebanon, Midway Trailer between M'boro and Shelbyville, and they have the different axles stacked up out in the yard.  I replaced one on my 16' dual axle trailer hubs and springs included and the axle was only around $150.  Find a trailer yard and you'll probably find your axle unless its some sort of specialty/homebrew thing.  From start to finish, I had my axle changed in about an hour.