Tactical Bolt Gun

Moped

I've been looking for a tactical bolt gun for the last several weeks. I was fortunate to happen on a Savage 10P SR .308 Win. This is a super nice rifle! Oversized bolt knob, 16" threaded bull barrel that is free floated. The barrel also has muzzle break. Came with a Center Point 4-16x40mm AO illuminated scope and a bipod. I'm on the hunt for more magazines and I'd love to have a 10 rounder, but not at $100 a pop. Eventually, I will go to a better scope.

Any recommendations on a sling for this beast?

015cdd3d4b2715f7a2f61223cc2302c9.jpg
3f19661f3be0f5f088b0a754716ad630.jpg
c841e6c105db51925a00a083a369e3bd.jpg
0d92e2f0ec40d3b5f2133cfc74f108bc.jpg

Does that use the AICS bottom metal?
If it does, you can get 10rnd polymer mags from MDTTAC for $40 ;)

I think it is just a standard Savage mag.  I will have to check though.  Is the mag marked AICS anywhere?

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know about the recent upgrades I made on this rifle.  I went with a Outdoor Connection Padded Super Sling.  The Savage 10FP is a fairly heavy rifle and I felt the pad would make it much more comfortable to carry for any difference.

I also upgraded the scope.  I was on the hunt for a new scope to go with this rifle, as I was not happy with the Centerpoint that it came with.  I had narrowed it down to a Nikon, Redfield or a Vortex.  I walked into Bud's in Sevierville on Father's Day and right at the very front of the store, on sale was a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 BDC Scope for $144.  I snatched it up like a hawk diving on a rabbit along with a set of Vortex 1" rings for $192 out the door.  With tax, that was about $8 cheaper than the best deal I could find on the internet!!!  So now it's sporting some new glass!  Can't wait to get it on the range and see how it does!!!  It actually lightened the rifle several oz.  Enough to notice the difference.

BTW, I must say this is a sweet rifle!  The trigger is amazing and it's very comfortable to shoot!  I went through 40 rounds at the range in one session with zero shoulder soreness the next day!

I went with the medium height rings.  I didn't think about the scope bases.  Might be changing those out.  Love the trigger as it is.  Would a 6 oz trigger really be any better?  Right now, I am easily surprised when it goes off.  I will check out the spent primers for piercing. I've got all the brass I have put through it.  The Stock is a Savage stock and the barrel is free floated.  I hardly ever remove a stock.  But at some point I may upgrade the stock to a Bell and Carlson stock set up,

You lost me on the cam pin!

I appreciate your taking time to post!  Dolomite you are a gem on this site!!

a sling should match its function.  

This is effectively a sniper rifle, not a close combat gun.  So a 3-point makes little sense --- a classic battle-rifle sling that can be used as a fore-end grip if you had to shoot it standing up or from an odd position seems to fit, coupled with the basic need to comfortably transport the thing which looks very heavy.  

as a side note, if it takes mags, loose ammo on the butt seems silly.  Find a way to attach a spare mag instead?   Ideally that stock would be tacticool and have room for one or two behind the shoulder pad or something?  Probably only fit one there...  also could use the flip-over double mags like some people do with AR mags?

Edited by Jonnin

a sling should match its function.  

This is effectively a sniper rifle, not a close combat gun.  So a 3-point makes little sense --- a classic battle-rifle sling that can be used as a fore-end grip if you had to shoot it standing up or from an odd position seems to fit, coupled with the basic need to comfortably transport the thing which looks very heavy.  

as a side note, if it takes mags, loose ammo on the butt seems silly.  Find a way to attach a spare mag instead?   Ideally that stock would be tacticool and have room for one or two behind the shoulder pad or something?  Probably only fit one there...  also could use the flip-over double mags like some people do with AR mags?

That's not the sling that is on it anymore. Been a long time since I "strapped" into a rifle.  When I last did that, I was shooting M14 national Match rifles for the Army Reserve.  I typically use a hasty sling, when hunting.

While it is a mag fed rifle, magazines are not cheap. Right now on EBAY one is going for $42 and that's the cheapest I can find. 10 round mags are $100. So the side saddle stays for a while longer. When I am at the range I tend to feed the rounds one at a time any way.  I rarely load the mag.  But mags are going to be bought in the future. :)

What kind of accuracy are you getting with that rifle with decent ammo?  Savage makes great rifles.

Sub MOA when I do my job!  :)

• 2 weeks later...