I need honest opinion related to HCP Class

I am taking my HCP Class next week. I'm taking it with someone who has a lot of knowledge about guns, he's smart and enthusiastic to share it too. I know I am covered there. But I need to know, how hard is it?

My husband says "it's so easy a dumb monkey could do it". The choice of words alone shows I cannot trust him, because he's trying to make me feel ok. He's had his permit FOREVER. He also likes to sugar coat things for me. Maybe I worry too much. Maybe it's simple. But if you have taken it recently, I'd love your opinion.

I hate tests in general. I'm good with sitting and listening & learning. Great, actually. But I am nervous about the tests. And, I've only shot in public a few times. Usually I just shoot with Monkey in a field. It's laid back, just for practice and fun. Plus let's be honest, I'm betting I'm the only woman in the class. So I feel like there's added pressure there when we go to shoot.

Am I a nerd and over thinking this or will it suck and be as bad as I think it will? Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500

I took it through the Knox County Sheriff's office.  It was totally easy.   Stevie Wonder could pass the shooting part and the class room part is a breeze.

Don't sweat it, I am sure you will do fine.  You are probably over thinking it but I imagine all of us did in anticipation of taking the class and test.

Edited by Mike.357

I took it through the Knox County Sheriff's office. It was totally easy. Stevie Wonder could pass the shooting part and the class room part is a breeze.

Don't sweat it, I am sure you will do fine. You are probably over thinking it but I imagine all of us did in anticipation of taking the class and test.

I told her that already. Now I think I'm going to make it sound like the Navy Seals sniper trials. :) Edited by Monkeyman2500
  • Like 1
I tend to over think a lot. My brain is "different". Monkey just found a similar question from 2012 and we are laughing at the answers!

I just don't like to fail or be bad at things. I also more than ever want my HCP. I know they changed the test a while back so that messes with me too. Thanks for your thoughts!! :)

Both the written and shooting portions of the HCP class are pretty much made so that the average person can pass.  As the late, great, George Carlin said...think about how stupid the average person is, then realize half of them are stupider than that.  Since you can post in complete sentences on here, I'm confident saying you will fall on the right hand of the bell curve for the multiple choice examination.

If you are worried about the shooting, buy some B-29 targets (those are what you shoot at), hit the range and see where you're at.  If your class shoots indoors, I'd practice in doors, if they shoot outdoors, practice outdoors.  Use the same firing table as the course to practice.

4 sets of 5 shots at 3 yds

4 sets of 5 shots at 5 yds

2 sets of 5 shots at 7 yds

50 shots total, with every shot inside the 7-ring or better being 2 points, any hit on the silhouette being 1 point.  A score of 70 or better passes.

Edited by btq96r

If you are worried about the shooting, buy some B-29 targets (those are what you shoot at), hit the range and see where you're at. If your class shoots indoors, I'd practice in doors, if they shoot outdoors, practice outdoors. Use the same firing table as the course to practice.

4 sets of 5 shots at 3 yds
4 sets of 5 shots at 5 yds
2 sets of 5 shots at 7 yds

50 shots total, with every shot inside the 7-ring or better being 2 points, any hit on the silhouette being 1 point. A score of 70 or better passes.

THANK YOU! That makes me feel better knowing a small part like that. I'm going to go down the hill and practice this week before the class.

THANK YOU! That makes me feel better knowing a small part like that. I'm going to go down the hill and practice this week before the class.

When you see a B-29 target, you'll notice it's a good it smaller in overall size than the regular targets you see at the range.  At 14" x 22", the thing looks pretty small versus a larger silhouette on poster size (24" x 48" or thereabouts).  Just remember, your actual target is the X in the center, and that's the same size on the smaller one as it is on a bigger silhouette on a larger sheet of paper.  It's all mental.

If you can't secure some B-29 targets, go to the sporting section at Walmart and buy a ten pack of bullseye targets for a few bucks and practice on those.  Using a larger sheet for your target could screw with your head when it comes time to shoot at a small piece of paper.

Edited by btq96r

When you see a B-29 target, you'll notice it's a good it smaller in overall size than the regular targets you see at the range. At 14"x22", the thing looks pretty small versus a larger silhouette which runs poster size (24x48 or thereabouts). Just remember, your actual target is the X in the center, and that's the same size on the smaller one as it is on a bigger silhouette on a larger sheet of paper. It's all mental.

If you can't secure some B-29 targets, go to the sporting section at Walmart and buy a ten pack of bullseye targets for a few bucks and practice on those. Using a larger sheet for your target could screw with your head when it comes time to shoot at a small piece of paper.

I actually used some recently. We've gone target shooting 2 times in the last two weeks and I had some in hot pink (lame, yes) and they were dinky. I'm a pretty decent shot, when I don't talk a lot of smack to myself and get myself worked up. There's my problem. Practice and calming down. I will work on that this week. The Middle of the target is where I am ok. So now that I know score and rounds and distances I think I will be ok. Thanks again.
Lets put it this way......when I first took the test in 1996 the old man next to me was incapable of manipulating his weapon, retook the shooting portion three times, almost shot me and was so blind he had to have the test read to him. He passed......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He wasn't exaggerating on the difficulty level of the "tests". When I worked at a local range that did the HCP class there was maybe 2 or 3 people that failed either portion over the 4 year period that I worked there.

If you have experience shooting, you'll pass the shooting portion. I've seen people who never held a gun before in their life pass the shooting portion.

As others have said, usually hints are dropped during the class as to what will be on the test.

You will do fine. When my wife and I got ours a couple of years ago she had never shot a hand gun before. In fact she didn't have a whole lot of use for guns. Even tho her father and brothers had hunted all their lives. So when I told her I was going to get my HCP and asked if she wanted to go she said yes. I thought she was kidding. I asked her again a few days later and she stated she was serious. So we went to the back yard and I gave her a run down on handling a revolver. We did this twice. She shot less than 100 rounds altogether and I instructed her on safety and handling while just talking. I had never seen my wife shoot before this and we had been married about 37 years at this point. Long story short she passed with no problems at all. And now likes to shoot when she can. So there, you'll do just fine.    P.S. she shot a better score than me.

• Like 1
All of the above posts are true, MMM2500.

With your experience level, you WILL pass. Probably quite easily. Just don't worry. You'll do fine.
Heck I passed mine about 23(?) years ago right after the bonding regulations were dropped. And I was disadvantaged, or so my instructor said.

I took my class thru a class taught by Buford Tune, ex-Metro LEO, and famed pinky shooter. I'm sure some will explain that line for you.

Buford ridiculed me in class for using a "high priced new gun" and an "over powered round." It was as Sig 228 in .40.

It was all in fun though, Buford knew me and some of my in-laws and used me as a teaching aide for the class as well.

But when it came time to fire...it was pure hell. lol

The range near Smyrna Field was used, it was hot as hades and high humidity. and no shade anywhere.

I was sweating, not perspiring, but sweating so hard my mags had to be wiped down as I changed them. And I took the class with only 2 mags, so I was constantly reloading from loose rounds in my pocket.

I got called down for taking, and making head shots for my qualification round, and had to do it over. Buford said that wasn't a safe thing to do and get in the habit of doing.

So...on my 2nd 50 shots, I'm still sweating, wiping, and reloading from my pocket. but now I'm swearing under my breath a bit.

I still scored a 96. Had all good center mass hits with one flyer in the shoulder that probably have been a grazer and a lost round.

Buford congratulated me and then asked where my missing round went. I had no explanation till I started checking my pockets...the missing round hadn't been loaded and fired.

So I got to be an example of thoroughness and awareness for the class...not.

But I passed.

You will be fine. Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
Thanks! I started thinking last night about it and I probably will. As for the woman part, where we live I will be shocked if there's another one in the class. But maybe there will be. Either way it just gives me a chance to look awesome in front of some dudes (power of positive thinking).

Practice will make perfect, eventually. I am smart enough to know that the only thing in my way at this point is me and my overthinking.

Hipower, I liked your story. I won't be super fancy. I'm taking mine with my 1911. I was thinking about using what will be my CCW but I'm sticking with Betty (guns are like cars to me). She's more comfortable and I think I'll do best with what I've shot since I started.

Thanks everyone!

Generally, the course has two requirements:  (1) a pulse, and (2) the ability to hit a barn from inside with the door closed. :pleased:

This! It's even easier to obtain than a driver's license in this state.
  • Like 2

I am taking my HCP Class next week. I'm taking it with someone who has a lot of knowledge about guns, he's smart and enthusiastic to share it too. I know I am covered there. But I need to know, how hard is it?

My husband says "it's so easy a dumb monkey could do it". The choice of words alone shows I cannot trust him, because he's trying to make me feel ok. He's had his permit FOREVER. He also likes to sugar coat things for me. Maybe I worry too much. Maybe it's simple. But if you have taken it recently, I'd love your opinion.

I hate tests in general. I'm good with sitting and listening & learning. Great, actually. But I am nervous about the tests. And, I've only shot in public a few times. Usually I just shoot with Monkey in a field. It's laid back, just for practice and fun. Plus let's be honest, I'm betting I'm the only woman in the class. So I feel like there's added pressure there when we go to shoot.

Am I a nerd and over thinking this or will it suck and be as bad as I think it will?

No, its really that easy.   The questions are about at the 6th grade level --- regurgitate what they told you in the class, and you will get 100%.   There are NO trick questions or traps, its just "did you listen and learn".    The shooting test is also very basic, short range, you  can fire slowly,  and you don't even need 100% hits to pass.   Literally if you can hit a man-sized torso at 10 yards every time shooting slowly and carefully, you can pass it.  

You won't be the only woman.  Its about 15-25% women in many classes.  

I have not taken it recently BUT I often find myself in the range alongside classes and watch them shoot.   And the paper test has not increased in difficulty and probably never will.  

• Like 2
You should be fine. If you are concerned about possibly being the only woman I know some places offer women only classes and even have female instructors. Whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. No need to be worried it should be informative and fun.

All of the above posts are true, MMM2500.

With your experience level, you WILL pass. Probably quite easily. Just don't worry. You'll do fine.
Heck I passed mine about 23(?) years ago right after the bonding regulations were dropped. And I was disadvantaged, or so my instructor said.

I took my class thru a class taught by Buford Tune, ex-Metro LEO, and famed pinky shooter. I'm sure some will explain that line for you.

Buford ridiculed me in class for using a "high priced new gun" and an "over powered round." It was as Sig 228 in .40.

It was all in fun though, Buford knew me and some of my in-laws and used me as a teaching aide for the class as well.

But when it came time to fire...it was pure hell. lol

The range near Smyrna Field was used, it was hot as hades and high humidity. and no shade anywhere.

I was sweating, not perspiring, but sweating so hard my mags had to be wiped down as I changed them. And I took the class with only 2 mags, so I was constantly reloading from loose rounds in my pocket.

I got called down for taking, and making head shots for my qualification round, and had to do it over. Buford said that wasn't a safe thing to do and get in the habit of doing.

So...on my 2nd 50 shots, I'm still sweating, wiping, and reloading from my pocket. but now I'm swearing under my breath a bit.

I still scored a 96. Had all good center mass hits with one flyer in the shoulder that probably have been a grazer and a lost round.

Buford congratulated me and then asked where my missing round went. I had no explanation till I started checking my pockets...the missing round hadn't been loaded and fired.

So I got to be an example of thoroughness and awareness for the class...not.

But I passed.

You will be fine.

Totally off topic: you know how to get kicked out of one of Burfords classes? When he starts throwing the tennis balls, catch one and throw it back at him. Ask me how I know....... [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Thanks! I started thinking last night about it and I probably will. As for the woman part, where we live I will be shocked if there's another one in the class. But maybe there will be. Either way it just gives me a chance to look awesome in front of some dudes (power of positive thinking).

Practice will make perfect, eventually. I am smart enough to know that the only thing in my way at this point is me and my overthinking.

Hipower, I liked your story. I won't be super fancy. I'm taking mine with my 1911. I was thinking about using what will be my CCW but I'm sticking with Betty (guns are like cars to me). She's more comfortable and I think I'll do best with what I've shot since I started.

Thanks everyone!

Well I never thought of the Sig as "super fancy" but I guess in the early 1990s that was a bit of a higher priced handgun.

But I wouldn't pick it again for my carry course. Probably the PPQ Model 2 now.

25 people in the class I was in and maybe 5 hand NEVER SHOT B4. All passed. When I found out that one round of the shooting was at 3 yards I thought I better try that B4 the test. It was so close it was really weird. Pay attention and when your instructor says 'this is important' or talks really loud, it's a good bet that it will be on the test. You won't need it but, Good luck.

• Like 1