I need honest opinion related to HCP Class

I still remember taking my class at 2nd Amendment gun shop in smithville. The guys made it really fun and were a wealth of knowledge. I really hated that they went out of business. Hipower, it sounds like your class was the complete opposite. :)

Oh no, it was a 2 day class with about 20 people. A good mix of men, women, current shooters and newbies.

Perhaps the long Saturday session was a bit tedious, but I learned quite a bit during it. And really had a great time with Buford and his partner(can't remember his name.).

We got to discuss the recent drop of the bonding requirements and how it had caused a large number of people to not apply for an HCP; the reality of shooting your pistol at someone as to how the law would effect us, the consequences of a shooting incident,  as well as got to do some classroom drills on dealing with threats, situational awareness, and even did some role playing with attackers armed with guns and knives.

The range session on Sunday was a lot of fun as well. We did some sweep drills, advancing and retreating with drawn weapons, and of course the practice run before shooting for scores.

Perhaps I highlighted the lows a bit too much, because I did find it a great session. Now I do know Buford has had his share of detractors, as well as some classroom mishaps; but he really did treat me and everyone else very respectfully during it all.

It was by no means a full combat course, but I did find it thoroughly enjoyable and very informative.

And Buford's stories did liven up the dull moments a bit.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

You'll likely have the high score in the class as you've taken time to practice.  My wife had never shot a 1911 before and shot the high score in her class.  If you have a good instructor you will enjoy the class and hopefully have your permit in a few weeks.

• Like 1

You'll likely have the high score in the class as you've taken time to practice. My wife had never shot a 1911 before and shot the high score in her class. If you have a good instructor you will enjoy the class and hopefully have your permit in a few weeks.

Thanks. The reason I am taking this class is because the instructor is super knowledgable and he also will be most likely fun. I just need to relax and learn. I'm pretty sure I will do ok.

It has been a few years since I or anyone I know has taken the HCP test.  I don't imagine it has changed a whole lot, though.

When we were first married, my (now ex) wife (who is still one of my best friends) was pretty leery of guns due to the fact that her father was a complete jackass and his behavior where guns were concerned was no different.  After we were married - and I like to think it was partially due to me and her grandfather providing positive examples of gun ownership, etc. - she became a little more comfortable with them.  Until she found the Kel Tec P32 she had trouble racking the slide on a pistol due to hand/wrist issues.  When her father died she got a Rossi .357 revolver that had belonged to him.  At first, she had trouble pulling the trigger on it but I was able to show her how to hold it and where to place her finger, etc. so that she could operate it pretty easily.  She used that snubnosed .357 - loaded with .38 Special ammo - to pass the shooting portion of her HCP test the first time she took it.  She passed the written portion the first time despite not really being a 'gun person', as well.

My mom is not the best written test taker in the world but she studied the study guide and also passed the written portion the first time she tried.  As an aside, she passed the shooting portion with her Hi Point 9mm - apparently shooting the best of her group and doing so well that everyone else was asking the instructor what kind of gun she had (as if the gun could magically pass the test for her.)  Mom had also mostly only shot informally in the back yard, etc. up to that point so to help her feel more comfortable the Saturday a week before she was to take her test I took her to the range where she would be qualifying and pretty much walked her through the shooting portion of the test as my instructor had conducted it (she ended up having a different instructor but apparently he did it pretty much the same way.)

I really don't think you have anything to be nervous about.  I also wouldn't be surprised if you aren't the only woman in your class.  Finally, don't worry so much about 'shooting in public'.  You aren't competing with anyone else and when you start actually shooting you will probably be in such a 'zone' that you can almost forget that there are other people there.  The test is between you and the target and it is strictly pass/fail.  As long as you put enough holes in the right area of the paper your 'groups' or lack thereof really don't make a hill of beans.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
The shooting part is ridiculously easy. I thought the legality/situation review was very enlightening. It made me rethink when I would actually use one vs martial art training/running. Having a family with you is a different perspective...
  • Like 1

A good HCP class is great information. My instructor covered things like situational awareness, what the law says about shooting home invaders, etc. That's good stuff to know. Oh, and take the shooting test with a gun that's easy to shoot. You'll pass even with a tiny LCP or P3-AT, but why make it any harder than it has to be? I carry a P3-AT, but I took the test with a full size Walther P99... a super sweet gun to shoot... for me. Shoot with whatever fits your hand and you can fire accurately.

The shooting test was so easy that the hardest part was reloading the magazine.  :rofl: You'll be fine. 

Quote   from grady   "The shooting test was so easy that the hardest part was reloading the magazine.  :rofl: You'll be fine."

I wish I would have known a head of time what the shooting drills consisted of so I could have brought extra magazines for it already loaded. The particular firearm I was using I had 5 back up mags for and my buddy has 5 for his and I could have borrowed them............ :rofl: :rofl:

Quote   from grady   "The shooting test was so easy that the hardest part was reloading the magazine.  :rofl: You'll be fine."

I wish I would have known a head of time what the shooting drills consisted of so I could have brought extra magazines for it already loaded. The particular firearm I was using I had 5 back up mags for and my buddy has 5 for his and I could have borrowed them............ :rofl: :rofl:

I'll be using my 1911 for the shooting portion. I have lots of mags for it so I will be sure to bring them.

I just wanted to thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated!!

When I took it you were not allowed multiple loaded mags on the firing line.  Only when instructed to do so, load one magazine with designated number of rounds for that string, then fire until empty.  Repeat.

• Like 1

You're overthinking it  :)

If you have fired a gun before, ever, you'll be far ahead of several of the people that were in my class.

The husband and wife sitting next to me (nice older couple) both had nice, brand new, Ruger LCR revolvers - but neither had a clue how to open the cylinder on them. And they passed. And some places will let you take it again for free if you fail, which is not an offer they would be able to afford to extend if many people took them up on it.

Just focus on listening during the talking portion, shooting safely and calmly during the firing range portion, and you'll do fine  :up:

• Like 1
Well I am happy to report that I have passed. You were all right! A big huff over nothing. 100 on my written test and 96 on my shooting. I had pretty excellent grouping at 3 and 7 yard, after that I got squirrelly. All in all an EXCELLENT class with a perfect instructor. I learned a lot and he even gave pointers at the range which helped a lot.

Thanks again for all the help and feed back!
  • Like 12

Well I am happy to report that I have passed. You were all right! A big huff over nothing. 100 on my written test and 96 on my shooting. I had pretty excellent grouping at 3 and 7 yard, after that I got squirrelly. All in all an EXCELLENT class with a perfect instructor. I learned a lot and he even gave pointers at the range which helped a lot.

Told you so... :D

• Like 1

Must not have gotten too squirrelly with a 96. Did you mean to say 3 and 5 yds?

Must not have gotten too squirrelly with a 96. Did you mean to say 3 and 5 yds?

No, I was pretty great. There's a semi-large hole in the middle where it should be, thankfully. I had a few misfires (we think it was a magazine issue). I even had to switch 1911's during which got me a bit shook up. That's when I had a few bad shots. But it was great.

Maybe I did for the yardage. I just know it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I always over think things but today felt good. Like a nerd I have no idea where my birth certificate is so I have one on order from Michigan. I should be able to go get everything done by next week.
  • Like 1

Thanks. I had to order my birth certificate because I misplaced mine. Evidently the state needs to see it even though they already have. Just got it yesterday so I'll be going today to file everything and apply for my HCP!

Let us know about that process if you don't mind.  I am curious if anything has changed in the last, couple of years.  IIRC, I had to go to the DMV, pay the initial fee and get the paperwork started.  At that time, they gave me a code or some such to authorize me to have my prints run by the service that runs (or, at that time ran, at least) prints for the TBI.  I then had to go somewhere else to have my prints done.  In my case, I went to a UPS store and they scanned my fingerprints direct with a special scanner (rather than doing ink prints) and sent those electronically to the folks who were doing the check.

Edited by JAB

Let us know about that process if you don't mind. I am curious if anything has changed in the last, couple of years. IIRC, I had to go to the DMV, pay the initial fee and get the paperwork started. At that time, they gave me a code or some such to authorize me to have my prints run by the service that runs (or, at that time ran, at least) prints for the TBI. I then had to go somewhere else to have my prints done. In my case, I went to a UPS store and they scanned my fingerprints direct with a special scanner (rather than doing ink prints) and sent those electronically to the folks who were doing the check.

Will do! I know that my instructor said I be prepared to pay up to $180 for it. He said you pay the $115 for the HCP but then try prorate it also for the length of time until your license expires? I guess so that way you have longer? Not sure. I gotta get dinner in the oven and then we'll be heading out!

Let us know about that process if you don't mind.  I am curious if anything has changed in the last, couple of years.  IIRC, I had to go to the DMV, pay the initial fee and get the paperwork started.  At that time, they gave me a code or some such to authorize me to have my prints run by the service that runs (or, at that time ran, at least) prints for the TBI.  I then had to go somewhere else to have my prints done.  In my case, I went to a UPS store and they scanned my fingerprints direct with a special scanner (rather than doing ink prints) and sent those electronically to the folks who were doing the check.

That's how it went for me as well, though I used my passport instead of my birth certificate. 

Congratulations!  Let us know what it feels like to carry. I found that my situational awareness went way up. I noticed what was going on around me and people who looked "suspicious" and civilians who were blissfully walking around texting with no clue of what was going on around them. I starting noticing other people who were carrying or looked like they might be carrying.

I also went through a wardrobe makeover. Pants pocket depth became more important. Cover shirts needed to be heavier so they wouldn't bunch up and print the gun. None of this was expensive or particularly time consuming, but it was interesting how carrying changes little things in your life. 

Ok, so far so good! Went to DMV or Dept of Safety (north vs. south, ha!). I got every done there. $152.60 so it pro-rated me so I won't renew my HCP til I hit 40. ?

I am going to get finger printed tomorrow at 11. And then we wait. Being that I've only ever got 1 speeding ticket, I'm thinking I'll get approved! LOL

I already have my IWB holster so I'm good to go there. Clothing I will need to make a few changes. I'm gonna need to buy bigger shirts. All in all its been a little over $200 to get this done. I'm totally ok with that.

As for situational awareness, I think I have always been a wee bit too observant of that. It got worse when I met Monkey. Which is not anything bad to be. Getting used to carrying will be the interesting thing. Gotta find that perfect spot in your pants! Ha! They said it can take up to 3 months for approval, I am hoping not. But we'll see. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for all the help and input! I really appreciate it!