I need honest opinion related to HCP Class

Took less than 2 weeks to get mine… don't expect it to be too long.

Carry around the house for a long time just like you will carry when away and get used to it.

I've been doing that! Also in the yard. Monkey wears his in a weird spot (to me). I wear mine almost exactly opposite of him. I think I'm also going to try an OWB as well. I might carry the Glock 26 instead of my 29. Gonna see!

nana nana boo boo told you so. lol congrats.

Haha!! Thanks :) my class was 3 girls and one man. We all were pretty solid on the shooting. 3 100's on the test and the other person only got 1 wrong.

Meanwhile I've completed step 2. Fingerprints tomorrow and then waiting. Meanwhile, President Obama is busy at work updating his FB status about the firing of the Bulls head coach. That made me madder than a hornet while I was at the DMV. ?

Will do! I know that my instructor said I be prepared to pay up to $180 for it. He said you pay the $115 for the HCP but then try prorate it also for the length of time until your license expires? I guess so that way you have longer? Not sure. I gotta get dinner in the oven and then we'll be heading out!

Last year the TN legislature changed the renewal period for HCPs from four years to five years so that (after some juggling and possible pro-rating) the HCP would come up for renewal at the same time as na HCP holder's driver's license.  Then, apparently (I haven't seen the legislation, myself, but OhShoot posted something about it and he is generally right on track about these things) - not remembering what they did last year or why - this year they extended (or were attempting to extend) the renewal period for a driver's license from five to (I think) eight years.  So, after creating a potentially confusing situation where individual renewal periods must be adjusted, juggled and prorated so as to bring HCP renewals in line with driver's license renewals they decided to consider a change that would result in the two still not being in line.  Real smart, legislators!

Does anyone know for sure if the change in driver's license renewal periods actually passed?

Edited by JAB

Congratulations!! Have you scheduled your official Wally Walk yet?

What in the world is that?!?!?!?! Should I be scared??? I just went and did the last step today. I got my fingerprints done and they have been sent off. I was excited until this Wally Walk you speak of. Fill me in!

Traditional walk thru Walmart with carry gun...legally. lol It's just a rite passage sort of thing. I bet Mr Monkey can tell you about it.

However, I get the idea that perhaps you might have already done this particular thing.

Traditional walk thru Walmart with carry gun...legally. lol It's just a rite passage sort of thing. I bet Mr Monkey can tell you about it.

However, I get the idea that perhaps you might have already done this particular thing.

I actually asked him last night while he was getting ready for bed. I thought he was going to pee his pants because he laughed so hard. I haven't done this yet! I've completed all the steps for my HCP but now I am just waiting for approval. So until I get that, I will not be able to. :( After that, I just might! Just to say I did it! LOL

Does anyone know for sure if the change in driver's license renewal periods actually passed?

Yes, it did. With no change to the HCP statute. So all the juggling around on HCP for the five year period to coincide with DL is really for naught. But since statute wasn't changed, they have to keep doing it. Yes, idiotic.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0209&GA=109

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Since my MI CPL is no longer valid here in TN both the wife and I will be going do the HCP class together. I found an instructor in Tazewell which is fairly close to where we live and in order to accommodate my work schedule the instructor has holding a private class for me; this seemed like an ideal time for the wife too so we are doing it together....

• Like 1

Since my MI CPL is no longer valid here in TN both the wife and I will be going do the HCP class together. I found an instructor in Tazewell which is fairly close to where we live and in order to accommodate my work schedule the instructor has holding a private class for me; this seemed like an ideal time for the wife too so we are doing it together....

Where are you from in Mi? My uncle and I were talking about the huge difference between Mi and Tn when it came to guns, rights, permits and registering of guns.

He's 70 and has dementia now so some moments are fuzzy for him. But he loves to talk because I'm his only niece he can talk to about guns, cars and well, he can bend my ear for an hour and I don't mind. Anywho, just curious.

Oh and like all the guys have mentioned, it was very informative and easy and the process after is fairly simple as well. Good luck and have fun! Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500

OK so I just wanted to update everyone. I can't believe how fast this went. I was fingerprinted 05-29-15 and I just logged in to see if there had been any movement. It simply stated that my HCP had been approved and to expect delivery of my permit within the next 10 days! Much quicker than what we had anticipated but very nice to read!

• Like 1

OK so I just wanted to update everyone. I can't believe how fast this went. I was fingerprinted 05-29-15 and I just logged in to see if there had been any movement. It simply stated that my HCP had been approved and to expect delivery of my permit within the next 10 days! Much quicker than what we had anticipated but very nice to read!

Nice!  I applied for my permit at a time when there was a sudden surge of people getting theirs but before the Dept. of Safety hired a few more hands to help move things along more quickly.  Because of that they Dept. of Safety was a bit backed up at the time and my permit took most of the 90 days to finally arrive.  Funny, the driver's testing station where I applied for mine (the one in west Knoxville) doesn't even do anything with HCPs anymore, not even renewals.  Luckily, there is one that is closer to where I live now and is much less busy that still does them (I prefer renewing in person rather than by mail.).

Nice! I applied for my permit at a time when there was a sudden surge of people getting theirs but before the Dept. of Safety hired a few more hands to help move things along more quickly. Because of that they Dept. of Safety was a bit backed up at the time and my permit took most of the 90 days to finally arrive. Funny, the driver's testing station where I applied for mine (the one in west Knoxville) doesn't even do anything with HCPs anymore, not even renewals. Luckily, there is one that is closer to where I live now and is much less busy that still does them (I prefer renewing in person rather than by mail.).

I still haven't received it yet, it's only been 2 days but I'm itching to do the Wally Walk! LOL ok not really but I'm just excited to know its approved! I always renew in person. That way a photo is taken. I always hope it's better, but they never are. My best was was when my license was cracked so therefor "voided" ( who knew? ) and I had a flight to Chicago. Messy hair and eyeline and I felt like a supermodel when I saw the pic. I'm dreading what my HCP photo will look like!
  • 1 month later...

I still haven't received it yet, it's only been 2 days but I'm itching to do the Wally Walk! LOL ok not really but I'm just excited to know its approved! I always renew in person. That way a photo is taken. I always hope it's better, but they never are. My best was was when my license was cracked so therefor "voided" ( who knew? ) and I had a flight to Chicago. Messy hair and eyeline and I felt like a supermodel when I saw the pic. I'm dreading what my HCP photo will look like!

Wanted to ask to make double dang sure to be well armed when we walk into the DMV... jk

One needs to bring more than just their drivers license for ID correct? Besides the DL we need either the likes of a passport or birth certificate right? Both the wife and I have our apps in, and our class passed so we will be going visit the DMV on my next trip home off ship... And do the take Credit Cards as I see they don't take checks? What up with dat?

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to ask to make double dang sure to be well armed when we walk into the DMV... jk

One needs to bring more than just their drivers license for ID correct? Besides the DL we need either the likes of a passport or birth certificate right? Both the wife and I have our apps in, and our class passed so we will be going visit the DMV on my next trip home off ship... And do the take Credit Cards as I see they don't take checks? What up with dat?

According to this site run by the state of Tennessee
http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/handgunfees.shtml

Accepted methods of payment for an original handgun carry permit are cash, money order, MasterCard, Visa and Discover Credit Cards. Checks are accepted for a renewal and duplicate handgun carry permits.

As for I.D.
You need proof of US Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency
The acceptable types can be found here.

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driverlicense/dlcitizen.shtml

A valid Drivers License and certified copy of a birth certificate or passport is the easiest. I was told by my instructor a valid military I.D. will work as well. But I don't see that listed on the state page. Edited by TnShooter83
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, so I'm bored on my lunch break and just read through this whole thread.

I see the last update from MrsMonkey was 6/4. I've got to assume the permit arrived shortly thereafter... no update on the Wally Walk?!

I haven't been active on here much, sorry about that. I did do a Wally Walk. My permit arrived a few days later. Nothing awkward, it did feel weird in the way that I was suddenly aware that I didn't have to rely on Monkey for protection anymore.

I now carry my Glock 29 daily. Everywhere I go. It's become a second skin to me. At home I wear it in a weird way. I have found tucking my holster into my sports bra while I am tending to chickens or yard work is convenient and it is super easy to draw if need be. I've also ordered a cancan concealment product as well which I really like. It is basically like a belt that is about 5" in height and snaps around your waist. It has silicone secure strips and it holds up to 3 guns. I have it set up to where I carry my 26 and my 29 at the same time with 2 extra magazines for each. Which is pretty rad to have that much protection and it isn't noticeable at all. It is a bit weird to get used to the cancan because if you have even the slightest bit of claustrophobia it will bother you a bit. But I am working on it. It sits very nicely on my waist/hips so that I can actually carry when wearing pants that cannot support a normal kydex holster.

• Like 1