How to survive a carjacking

You're driving around town, going about your business, on the road, and out of nowhere, it all comes to a screeching halt.  

Your vehicle, and your life are in jeopardy.

According to Memphis police, carjackings have increased almost 10 percent in the past year.

The three most likely places for carjackings in Memphis: intersections, outside a house or apartment, and gas stations.

A  WMC Action News 5 investigation found that in Memphis, carjackings are most likely to happen in parts of north Memphis, Downtown and Midtown.

But they can happen anywhere, any day of the week and any time of day.

You have to think quickly and clearly, and there are risks involved, but you can fight back, and win.

"Don't go anywhere with them," said self-defense and martial arts instructor Chad Chilcutt. "What's going to happen is what's going happen right then and there."

Chilcutt and his son, Cody, walked us through different scenarios of what to do in all three of those most common carjacking situations.

"The car is actually something that can be used for you or against you," Chilcutt said.

He says always prepare to expect the unexpected.  

All of these moves take practice, but if done correctly, can save your life. 

"We try to teach to always be aware of your surroundings," Chilcutt said. "Safety first, so at any moment, even if you're not ready, you can handle the situation a lot better."

Watch the story above for a video demonstration of three carjacking self-defense moves. 

Edited by washabra
  • Like 1

Interesting that they'd advocate techniques to disarm someone.  Seems like untrained folks would see that, do it wrong, and end up hurt or dead.  I agree that fighting back is key, but I'm surprised they immediately go into stuff that's fairly advanced and takes lots of practice. 

• Like 1

Seems like untrained folks would see that, do it wrong, and end up hurt or dead.  I agree that fighting back is key, but I'm surprised they immediately go into stuff that's fairly advanced and takes lots of practice. 

As you mentioned, fighting back is the key but I think their point is the victim is likely to end up hurt or dead anyway even if they comply.   I think in most cases the criminal doesn't expect the victim to fight back with a gun in their face so you have a good chance at catching them off guard.    Like any criminal, they want an easy victim and if they encounter resistance, they might retreat for an easier target.   

Knowing my wife as I do, she will not comply and will fight back with everything she's got.   Given the chance, she'll go "spider monkey" on you in a heartbeat.   

Keep your car doors locked, windows up, and watch out at intersections and keep the car moving if possible.  It's hard for someone to get into a vehicle if the vehicle is moving with the doors locked and windows up.  I would not advise anyone to get gas in any of those parts of Memphis mentioned, and especially not for a woman to get gas in those areas.

Edited by 300winmag

My doors lock automatically. Even with the windows down it would be tough for someone to open them from the outside. As stated, criminals not only look for the easy mark but also count on shock value to ruin identification. Making eye contact with people at intersections demonstrate awareness and "I see you" to criminals.

No way at my age and medical condition am I going to try and beat someone off. I'll just do my best to shoot them in the face.

• Like 1

Supposedly the animals who tortured and murdered Shannon Christian and Christopher Newsome originally 'only' intended to jack their vehicle.  I think the bottom line is, if you can't stop them from taking your vehicle, do not allow them to take you anywhere.  I have actually read (and seen in person) where more than one security adviser type advises that, if it comes down to it, you are better off making them shoot you where you are (where there is at least a chance you might get help and where they will be more likely to flee the scene without taking the time to make sure you are dead) than allowing them to take you to a location of their choosing where they can take their time killing you and hiding the body.  Of course, I imagine making that choice and sticking with it would be easier said than done but it seems likely that if they are really going to shoot you then they are going to do so sooner or later either way.

• Like 3
Punch the gas pedal? The assailant won't expect it as most folks won't purposely enter a demolition derby, we are taught and trained not to collide with other vehicles. A little body damage to your vehicle and the car ahead or behind will be covered by auto insurance. Seems a much better deal than using your life insurance.
  • Like 1

A friend of mine was carjacked in Chicago a few years back. A guy jumped in passenger side with a knife and my buddy turned off his car pulled his keys and got out leaving the guy sitting in the car. The guy jumped out and ran away. He said he would have done the same thing if the guy had a gun. They don't expect you to exit the car and just leave them sitting there. Better to let them have the car than get shot..................jmho

• Like 1

Supposedly the animals who tortured and murdered Shannon Christian and Christopher Newsome originally 'only' intended to jack their vehicle. I think the bottom line is, if you can't stop them from taking your vehicle, do not allow them to take you anywhere. I have actually read (and seen in person) where more than one security adviser type advises that, if it comes down to it, you are better off making them shoot you where you are (where there is at least a chance you might get help and where they will be more likely to flee the scene without taking the time to make sure you are dead) than allowing them to take you to a location of their choosing where they can take their time killing you and hiding the body. Of course, I imagine making that choice and sticking with it would be easier said than done but it seems likely that if they are really going to shoot you then they are going to do so sooner or later either way.

I've also read from some credible folks that if you are ever in a store, etc. that is being robbed, never allow yourself to be herded into a back room because it's a good chance you're not going to make it out alive because it's no longer about just robbing the place.
  • Like 2

That is really, really irresponsible. 99% of people are not going to be able to do any of those techniques without training. A four minute video is hardly enough.

Why is it irresponsible?  They are simply demonstrating a few techniques and both Chilcutt and the reporter stress training and practice at the end of the video.  Chilcutt runs a martial arts school and is also a bad MFer.  Although he didn't advertise, I bet he would be glad to teach these same techniques to anyone willing to learn (and pay). 

My doors lock automatically. Even with the windows down it would be tough for someone to open them from the outside. As stated, criminals not only look for the easy mark but also count on shock value to ruin identification. Making eye contact with people at intersections demonstrate awareness and "I see you" to criminals.

No way at my age and medical condition am I going to try and beat someone off. I'll just do my best to shoot them in the face.

My plan

• Like 2

I would like to see some of his techniques at faster speed, some of those look  a bit awkward.  I was taught a few like this, and they always said that the gun would most likely discharge so be prepared to get hit.  The thing was to try and make it a graze vs direct hit, in a couple of those someone would of lost a finger or two at the very least.

Part of my Police training that has stayed with me is that I don’t ever let myself get boxed in in traffic with no way out. Stay in a lane with an escape route and don’t pull up on the car in front of you so close that you can’t cut the wheels and go. We didn’t do it because of a carjacking; we did it in case we got an emergency call we could go. But it will help you in this type scenario.

From the narrative that video was part of a series on self-defense. That would require training and practice. But you should always go through scenarios in your mind of how you would handle various situations. Simply having a gun doesn’t protect you if find yourself staring down the barrel of a gun. Think what you would do to stay alive.

Don’t assume that all criminals are dirt bags with no training; they may have far more training than you. Cops, trained Military and self-defense experts get killed all the time.
  • Like 4

Punch the gas pedal? The assailant won't expect it as most folks won't purposely enter a demolition derby, we are taught and trained not to collide with other vehicles. A little body damage to your vehicle and the car ahead or behind will be covered by auto insurance. Seems a much better deal than using your life insurance.

I tell my wife that regularly.  Floor it.  I don't care who or what is around, just floor it.  Bash your way between cars, over curbs, whatever... just get out of there.  I'll gladly sort the damage out with the insurance company later.

Why is it irresponsible?  They are simply demonstrating a few techniques and both Chilcutt and the reporter stress training and practice at the end of the video.  Chilcutt runs a martial arts school and is also a bad MFer.  Although he didn't advertise, I bet he would be glad to teach these same techniques to anyone willing to learn (and pay). 

Because 99.99% of the people who saw that won't seek any sort of training.  If they try it and do it wrong, they might end up dead.

Part of my Police training that has stayed with me is that I don’t ever let myself get boxed in in traffic with no way out. Stay in a lane with an escape route and don’t pull up on the car in front of you so close that you can’t cut the wheels and go. We didn’t do it because of a carjacking; we did it in case we got an emergency call we could go. But it will help you in this type scenario.

From the narrative that video was part of a series on self-defense. That would require training and practice. But you should always go through scenarios in your mind of how you would handle various situations. Simply having a gun doesn’t protect you if find yourself staring down the barrel of a gun. Think what you would do to stay alive.

Don’t assume that all criminals are dirt bags with no training; they may have far more training than you. Cops, trained Military and self-defense experts get killed all the time.

I'm sure that as a LEO you were shown videos of prisoners practicing disarming techniques in the exercise yard as I was. Most non-LEOs don't think about such things: therefore, they don't know that a lot of thugs are better trained than they are.

I'm sure that as a LEO you were shown videos of prisoners practicing disarming techniques in the exercise yard as I was. Most non-LEOs don't think about such things: therefore, they don't know that a lot of thugs are better trained than they are.

A few years back the FBI released a report regarding criminals who had shot police officers.  The report found that many of those criminals practice shooting far more than the police officers involved.  Much of that practice was at an out of the way place in the woods, at the local dump or landfill and that sort of thing.

I also heard, again, a few years ago that gang affiliated individuals whose gang affiliation was not known or obvious were joining the military in order to receive training in fighting techniques, strategy and so on.  When they got out of the military, they would return home and train the rest of the gang.  Just because someone is former military - gang affiliated or not - doesn't necessarily mean they are a good person.  Likewise, just because someone has a black belt in one martial art or another doesn't mean they are an honest, law-abiding citizen.

Edited by JAB

A few years back the FBI released a report regarding criminals who had shot police officers.  The report found that many of those criminals practice shooting far more than the police officers involved.  Much of that practice was at an out of the way place in the woods, at the local dump or landfill and that sort of thing.

I also heard, again, a few years ago that gang affiliated individuals whose gang affiliation was not known or obvious were joining the military in order to receive training in fighting techniques, strategy and so on.  When they got out of the military, they would return home and train the rest of the gang.  Just because someone is former military - gang affiliated or not - doesn't necessarily mean they are a good person.

Yep!

The biggest danger area is a gas station to me.  I always make sure to fill up during daylight hours at a gas station I reasonably trust to be free of trouble.  The other scenario's are avoid a bad situation as best you can with common sense.  I always have a lookout when mounting/dismounting a vehicle, and DaveTN has some great pointers about intersections, and some of them that I remember from my time in Iraq before we established a bubble around our convoys due to the car bomb threat.  If it's my life on the line, I'll put some dents in my truck to get out of harms way.

Those "defensive" techniques in the video are rubbish.  Unless you're trained up and have experience adapting to someone not doing what you hope them to do in a fight, it's asking for trouble to just learn those techniques and try to use them.  Someone like a carjacker can be expected to be an aggressive person who may or may not put up a fight when encountering resistance.  I've never been in a fight (real or practice) that goes exactly as I want it to.

Also, a shameless plug for my patent pending (not really) method of having a gun ready and accessible to you while driving.  It's visible in the day, but not so much so at night, but I'll take the trade off to get reflex easy accessibility.  Having a gun at the 4-5 o'clock on your strong side hip in the holster, or in a console adds valuable seconds in response time when you're in the drivers seat with your seat belt on.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/87539-vehicle-holster-concept/

Keep your car doors locked, windows up, and watch out at intersections and keep the car moving if possible.  It's hard for someone to get into a vehicle if the vehicle is moving with the doors locked and windows up.  I would not advise anyone to get gas in any of those parts of Memphis mentioned, and especially not for a woman to get gas in those areas.

Just something to keep in mind when traveling west through the state.  Years ago I was driving to Oklahoma and knew I would be needing gas about Memphis.  I figured I would just stop in West Memphis, AK because it wouldn't be as busy and congested there.  I'd say West Memphis was scarier looking than Memphis.  Fill up BEFORE you get to Memphis if you are going that way.

Just something to keep in mind when traveling west through the state.  Years ago I was driving to Oklahoma and knew I would be needing gas about Memphis.  I figured I would just stop in West Memphis, AK because it wouldn't be as busy and congested there.  I'd say West Memphis was scarier looking than Memphis.  Fill up BEFORE you get to Memphis if you are going that way.

The gas is usually cheaper there, but West Memphis is pretty sketchy.

It seems to me that trying to fight back with the gun already through the window is likely to result in a discharge right in front of your face, brass to the face, disorientation, and blindness. Unless their finger was nowhere near the trigger, I don't think I'd want to take my chances on that one.
Years ago, a friend of mine was the service manager at Liberty Jeep in downtown Memphis and in those areas late at night a lot working late. The police told him to slow down and check traffic at the lights then go. It is hard to jack a moving car. Another friend in Jackson had his tire slashed at a red light in downtown jackson with a snub nose .38 in the console. He grabbed the gun and shoved the gun in the guy's face so hard that he had to clean up the blood up from door panel. Drove off on flat tire.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought that the carjacking scenerio was the perfect scenerio for the snub nose .357. You are scared and need a quick draw, no manual safety, no need for sights at a couple of feet away, don't have to have a perfect grip on a one hand fast draw and because of the long double action pull you are less likely to shoot your leg with a fast draw, plenty of power and recoil doesn't matter at close range just to dump 5 rounds into their torso. I can see where someone might fumble with some semi-autos, especially with a manual safety and their adrenalin off the scale.

I always thought that the carjacking scenerio was the perfect scenerio for the snub nose .357. You are scared and need a quick draw, no manual safety, no need for sights at a couple of feet away, don't have to have a perfect grip on a one hand fast draw and because of the long double action pull you are less likely to shoot your leg with a fast draw, plenty of power and recoil doesn't matter at close range just to dump 5 rounds into their torso. I can see where someone might fumble with some semi-autos, especially with a manual safety and their adrenalin off the scale.

I will never buy a pistol with a manual safety.  While I may be able to train muscle memory to disengage a safety on some models as good as I can on an AR, I won't bet my life on it.  The long double action pull of my Walther P99 is one of the best features it has for the same reasons you list above.