How to survive a carjacking

I will never buy a pistol with a manual safety.  While I may be able to train muscle memory to disengage a safety on some models as good as I can on an AR, I won't bet my life on it.  The long double action pull of my Walther P99 is one of the best features it has for the same reasons you list above.

I practice drawing and firing my Glock, unloaded at home most of the time. At the range I am slower and deliberate, don't want a negligent discharg trying to be Matt Dillon because of the trigger pull on a Glock, I also treat my SP101 with the same respect even though it's has a longer heavier trigger pull.

Years ago, a friend of mine was the service manager at Liberty Jeep in downtown Memphis and in those areas late at night a lot working late. The police told him to slow down and check traffic at the lights then go. It is hard to jack a moving car. Another friend in Jackson had his tire slashed at a red light in downtown jackson with a snub nose .38 in the console. He grabbed the gun and shoved the gun in the guy's face so hard that he had to clean up the blood up from door panel. Drove off on flat tire.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to UT Chattanooga for a couple years.  There were a few areas near campus where one simply paused briefly at traffic lights during the wee hours.   A friend of mine was shot and nearly bled to death during an armed robbery about a block from my on-campus apartment. 

I had a bad experience in California with this one. I didn't have a carry permit out there, and got the interstate one night for fuel in the wrong neighborhood. It was late, probably 200 am. Stopped at a red light behind a car, thug comes out of nowhere and tries to jerk my door open. 2005 GMC diesel, doors locked automatically. I was to close to cut around the car, so I slammed in reverse and stomped it. Tow mirror met head and from the amount of blood I cleaned off it must have torn his ear off. I got room, hit drive and went through the redlight hammered down. Found a well light fuel station and got fuel and made a police report and reported it to the Officer on duty at my unit. Now I leave more room between me and the car in front, and I have a loaded firearm close at hand, though discharging a pistol in a vehicle is pretty low on my list of things to do. The concussion in that confined space is unreal, I've done it in training with double hearing protection, don't ever wanna do it in real life.

I went to UT Chattanooga for a couple years. There were a few areas near campus where one simply paused briefly at traffic lights during the wee hours. A friend of mine was shot and nearly bled to death during an armed robbery about a block from my on-campus apartment.

Must have been on MLK....
I lived on oak and in college heights. ..also not great areas.
Just keep driving. .

I had a bad experience in California with this one. I didn't have a carry permit out there, and got the interstate one night for fuel in the wrong neighborhood. It was late, probably 200 am. Stopped at a red light behind a car, thug comes out of nowhere and tries to jerk my door open. 2005 GMC diesel, doors locked automatically. I was to close to cut around the car, so I slammed in reverse and stomped it. Tow mirror met head and from the amount of blood I cleaned off it must have torn his ear off. I got room, hit drive and went through the redlight hammered down. Found a well light fuel station and got fuel and made a police report and reported it to the Officer on duty at my unit. Now I leave more room between me and the car in front, and I have a loaded firearm close at hand, though discharging a pistol in a vehicle is pretty low on my list of things to do. The concussion in that confined space is unreal, I've done it in training with double hearing protection, don't ever wanna do it in real life.

I made the mistake of taking out the largest poisonous animal I have ever seen around my house this way. Had the muzzle out the window but not the action. Boy was that a mistake I will never make again. For the record, this guy was 6 feet long and the size of my arm( big enough to eat my dog.)

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all that said above there is one thing that is NOT done by 99. 99/100 of people and will give you a fighting chance if you are at a red light.  "DO NOT" pull on top of the car in front you, get in a habit of staying far enough to allow a quick move left or right to get away. Most 99/100 pull up within a couple feet to the car in front of them and then the car in back does the same...leaving you blocked in. A great bit of advise from Mossad Ayob. The man seems to have an insight of bad guys and how they think and act. To be honest I never pull on top of a car stopped....dont know why just dont.

Edited by Ron_TN

Of all that said above there is one thing that is NOT done by 99. 99/100 of people and will give you a fighting chance if you are at a red light. "DO NOT" pull on top of the car in front you, get in a habit of staying far enough to allow a quick move left or right to get away. Most 99/100 pull up within a couple feet to the car in front of them and then the car in back does the same...leaving you blocked in. A great bit of advise from Mossad Ayob. The man seems to have an insight of bad guys and how they think and act. To be honest I never pull on top of a car stopped....dont know why just dont.

^ Absolutely, "Leave one car length of space" between yourself and the person in front of you is one of UPS's mandatory safety precautions. UPS actually calls it "Leave yourself an out."

Dolomite, I'm sorry to disagree with you but in these crazy times, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I don't think Dolomite was saying people shouldn't defend themselves.  Instead, it looked to me like he was saying that most people lack the KSAs to pull off a disarm technique.  I have to agree with him and include myself in that majority.  Bad things would happen if I tried to go all Jackie Chan when I am more like Jackie Gleason.  Rather than trying to get all fancy I would probably have a better chance at just attempting to draw my own weapon and shooting the ba**ard before he can shoot me.

Over the years I have grown very tired of the Andy Griffith Show but there was one episode that I think pretty well demonstrates the problem with trying to 'train' based on demonstrations such as in a short video clip..  Barney was trying to demonstrate to Andy the new martial arts techniques he had learned but Andy kept 'messing it up' by not coming at Barney in exactly the right way, with his arm in exactly the right position and so on.

Edited by JAB

I don't think Dolomite was saying people shouldn't defend themselves. Instead, it looked to me like he was saying that most people lack the KSAs to pull off a disarm technique. I have to agree with him and include myself in that majority. Bad things would happen if I tried to go all Jackie Chan when I am more like Jackie Gleason. Rather than trying to get all fancy I would probably have a better chance at just attempting to draw my own weapon and shooting the ba**ard before he can shoot me.

Over the years I have grown very tired of the Andy Griffith Show but there was one episode that I think pretty well demonstrates the problem with trying to 'train' based on demonstrations such as in a short video clip.. Barney was trying to demonstrate to Andy the new martial arts techniques he had learned but Andy kept 'messing it up' by not coming at Barney in exactly the right way, with his arm in exactly the right position and so on.

This is spot on. I've got a lot of years in traditional martial arts. Learning the basics is quick ij a way but executing things such as joint manipulation, throws, arm bars, proper chokes, etc takes years of practice to do it full speed in a true situation. I've trained with people who do it by pure instinct they have trained so long (my dad for one) but getting to that level takes practice, lots of full speed sparring against an equal or better opponent, dedication and learning from someone who can show you the small nuances that make huge differences. Reviewing via video tape is ok, if you can get some one on one time with an instructor first to understand the small stuff and ask questions. For basic self defense that is effective, you really need just a few striking techniques, one or two good throws, and a few ground techniques, and then a lot of practice and a willingness to use them with sudden violence of action.

In most of the disarming techniques you're forcing the trigger finger into the trigger. The gun is likely to go off, even if the bad guy doesn't want it to. You better make 100% sure you're clear of the muzzle before you even try it.

I had a incident awhile back that basically amounted to road rage with a drunk. I realized real quick how much of a disadvantage you're in when somebody approaches you from behind while you're sitting in a vehicle. I didn't have to draw my gun but was getting ready to and found out how awkward it is to assume a shooting position from the seat and aim behind you. By far your best option is to speed away if you can.

Another unrelated reason to leave some distance to the car stopped in front of you. Many years ago I came upon stopped traffic on the interstate, I stopped well short but when I Looked in my mirror the driver of a 24' truck was either asleep or trying to pick something up from the floor. I cut the wheel and dropped the clutch.I had just cleared the corner of the car in front of me when he hit. Knocked me over 250' down the grass median. I feel sure I would have been crushed had I not had room to clear the other car. Edited by Glenn

^ Absolutely, "Leave one car length of space" between yourself and the person in front of you is one of UPS's mandatory safety precautions. UPS actually calls it "Leave yourself an out."

FedEx Ground states the main reason is that there's likely one less vehicle involved in a wreck if you get rear ended enough to push you forward.

- OS