Pissed off another hippie today.......

I get that to some of you it's fun to piss off hippies and all, but making a big to-do about it seems like bad form, especially the part about someone bleeding out.  That's not the type of conversation I'd have with a stranger, and I wouldn't feel it my place to deliver a lecture.  Whenever I'm asked why I carry, I just tell them "I refuse to become a victim without a fight," and leave it be.

• Like 1

Not all Subaru owners are like that. I'm not a Subaru owner (yet) but my wife wants one when we move out west. Well, at least an all wheel drive of some sort to deal with the snow.

I LOVE subarus - I'm currently driving my 5th - and it sees more hard track time than most people's vette's, mustangs, camaros, porsches, etc - and can also fit a 60" TV in the back (it's a wagon) - which makes for a great camping/shooting transport gun - I can fit my entire arsenal of weapons for weekends out shooting at the cabin! 

So please! Don't harsh on all of us subaru people - if it's a turbo, they probably like having fun - mine has been modified almost more than my glocks and 1911's - see photos of it in my flickr page here: 

• Like 2

My other hobby is whitewater kayaking, and it is a sport 99% populated by tree hugging liberals. Kayaking is a single person sport, but you need other people to go along with you for safety reasons, and to help with shuttle. I generally have to bite my tongue all the time just not to alienate myself from the group. I'd venture to say most of them have never even fired a gun, and would be repulsed at the very idea. I think most of them would pee themselves if they ever found the Ruger I carry in my backpack.

One weekend several of us were camping out in the woods near a river we were paddling. Many beers were consumed and the conversation turned to "what would we do if some crazy redneck hunter came out here and tried to make us squeal like pigs". Most talked about where in the woods they would run away to. I finally spoke up and mentioned I'd just get the 9 mil from the truck. Everyone sat there looking at me like I had said I would have thrown a dead baby seal at them. The conversation was over and we never spoke of it again.

They definitely don't like when I point out the hypocrisy of burning a couple of tankfulls of gas and emitting all that carbon every weekend to go on a river trip. It's OK to be a tree hugger environmentalist as long as it doesn't interfere with their fun time.

• Like 3

Call me whatever you like. I loved my Subaru. 325 whp, all wheel drive, turbo on road race slicks. There was damn little that would stay with it on a twisty back road. Never should have sold that car, just couldn't afford to keep it after I got out of the Marines.

Newpicsfromcali038.jpg

And I would venture to say it saw more dirt time than most 4x4 trucks.

Soggylake025.jpg

Of course before that there was the Duramax. 611 whp, north of 1000 ft lbs of tq at the wheels. It enjoyed mustang brunch.

Truckvsstang-1.jpg
truckrun-1.jpg

And then I got out of the Marines and now my broke ass drives a beat up and worn out Dodge Dakota 4x4 and a Vulcan 1500A bike is my speed fix.

• Like 1

You nailed the short-sightedness of most electric/hybrid car drivers right on the head!! Not only was the materials for their battery dug up from the ground, but over 2/3 of the electricity they use to charge the batteries comes from burning coal, natural gas or some other fossil fuel (source).

Life cycle cost and environmental impact for hybrids is off the scale.  The time and energy expended developing the technology far, far surpasses the modest efficiency improvements.  The processes used to manufacture and recycle the batteries are far from what anyone would consider "green". 

And most hybrid owners probably use a 2-stroke leaf blower instead of a rake and a broom.  A couple hours with that leaf blower puts more NOx, SOx, and CO2 in the air than driving a Prius for an entire year. 

• Like 1

You know they make F150's and F250's with 4x4...just saying...

They also make Tacomas and Tundras. No truck in my driveway will ever say anything but, "Toyota. Oh what a feeling." My current ride is an '08 Tundra Limited.

• Like 2

Life cycle cost and environmental impact for hybrids is off the scale.  The time and energy expended developing the technology far, far surpasses the modest efficiency improvements.  The processes used to manufacture and recycle the batteries are far from what anyone would consider "green". 

And most hybrid owners probably use a 2-stroke leaf blower instead of a rake and a broom.  A couple hours with that leaf blower puts more NOx, SOx, and CO2 in the air than driving a Prius for an entire year. 

Tree huggers never see the engineering or accounting. Their job is to carry a sign and say stupid shit.

• Like 3

To be fair, development of any new tech is expensive unless someone just has a genius moment out of the blue, which does happen but its rare.   It took a while and was expensive to develop the less efficient versions too, for most stuff.   The system is broken, but its not because of R&D costs, its because untenable and incomplete technologies are pushed into the market rather than allowed to stand on their own.   Take the toxic light bulbs... LED was clearly the way to go, but they rushed to make the stupid toxic twisty ones.  Same for ethanol ... we can make a better fuel other ways (propane/butane/methane/etc can run an engine, and it burns clean) but they pushed this crap on us, ruined countless engines, drove up the price of corn/beef/chicken/everything, and still failed to lower the cost of gas or significantly help the problems, and it does not burn all that cleanly to boot.   Let me preach on it... if someone could make a fuel that cost $1/gallon equivalent without costing anything to make it work in existing cars and burned clean, it would be praised by everyone, even the die-hards here.   Such a miracle product would *SELL ITSELF* on the market at a profit *WITHOUT LAWS TO FORCE USE OF IT or PRESSURE TO USE IT*.   That is how the system is supposed to work -- someone makes something *that is actually better* and it becomes profitable/great/wonderful/something for both the inventor/producer and the consumers.    The problem with the system is, again, the pressure / laws/ BS that forces half-baked ideas on the public before they are actually usable -- which is a combination of government muckery and social pressure (leading to companies to buckle towards making/selling/using the immature tech).  

Agree about life cycle.  The prius just turned 10 years old and has not yet had to have its battery replaced but its "due in the near future" and they check it a couple times a year to see if it needs it yet.    Making them is indeed a nasty process, batteries have always been nasty. 

Probably true about the yard tools.  /shrug again to me its pure economics.  If you can hand me something that saves me real money while working as good or better, I will buy/use it.  If not, stuff it.

• Like 1

Don't we really mean hipsters?? Skinny jeans, small hats, clear Ray-Ban glasses, a lot of plaid clothing, buster browns, man buns and murses. Ugh! Part of the reason we fled the big city!!

Hey, nothing wrong with a manbag!  Davy Crockett carried one.  Daniel Boone carried one.  Most of the more rugged, outdoorsy individuals of their time carried one.  Actually, from what I can tell they probably carried more than one - a 'possibles bag' with the equipment they needed for their black powder rifles and another bag that contained their personal effects (kit).  Where the idea that a carry bag is not 'manly' came from I have no idea.  For that matter, what is a briefcase but a manbag disguised as 'business gear'?  Heck, after my abdominal (abominable) surgeries last year (I was sent home with an open surgical wound that had to be packed and dressed every day and didn't completely close until more than a month later)  I couldn't wear a belt and had to wear loose-fitting pants so one kind of carry bag or another was the only way I could carry a gun.  I now carry a SOG sling pack so I can tote around all the junk I need for my colostomy bag and have become so used to it that I will probably keep carrying it even after my colostomy is (hopefully) reversed.  I guess it is all about being manly enough to carry one and not care if others think it isn't manly. :pleased:

Now, as for skinny jeans - no, I don't wear those.  I have no desire to wear those and even if I did no one wants to see that.  Of course, if I did I probably wouldn't need to carry a gun because if someone threatened me I could just say, "Check out my skinny jeans," and then they would be so frozen with shock and horror that I could simply walk calmly away.

The small hats get me, too.  I used to love wearing a fedora - especially the rain resistant ones that matched my trenchcoat - but lately the only fedora type hats I can find have, basically, no brim.  Why wear a fedora with essentially no brim?  It isn't going to help keep the rain or the sun off of you. 

What the heck is a 'man bun'?  You mean guys are wearing their hair in a bun or something?

Edited by JAB
Yes. A man bun. They're all the rage. I think messenger bags are one thing. Bags for carry surgical supplies or medical supplies get a pass. But a murse is just a NoNo!! I have a feeling you're an OK guy so anything can pass!

I got a great messenger bag a while Friedman's in Nashville that was army green with a great don't tread on me badge. More manly that womanly but I rock it!

Same ole tune, it's hot and my shirt rides up....questions get asked, I piss someone off.

Lady says why on earth are you carrying a gun?  I tell her:  See that peace symbol on the back or your Subaru?  [in and amongst the 75 other stickers!]  Well, I like peace too!  I love peace.  Only problem is, no lasting peace is made among men, out of love.  ONLY respect.  Only when evil respects you strength of will and arm, will it consider peaceful resolutions.  Only in the face of their own death, do the hearts of evil men consider peace.  Turning the other cheek, passive resistance & arms wide open will accomplish precisely squat.  

That's HORRIBLE!  I don't believe that and won't raise my family like that.

Failure to accept the truth doesn't make it any less true.  When evil hits you in the face and you "refuse to stoop to that level" in response....it will be much obliged for making it so easy.  You can contemplate this as you bleed out on the ground while they take everything you've worked hard for.  

Now, I'm not sure why, but she didn't have anything to say after that.  The look on her face when I told her to have a wonderful rest of the day, was priceless.   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

From a business standpoint, I should probably stop telling people stuff like this, but I won't.  It's too much fun and damn if I ain't gettin' pretty good at it.  I can make it through the hole thing without laughing at them now!  

I have to say, Caster, you were downright cordial compared to the way I would likely have responded...

"Why am I carrying a gun?  The real question is, 'Why are you minding my business instead of minding your own business?'  But to answer your question, do you watch the news?  Any news?  Ever?  Or are you too busy petting the imaginary unicorns that you must believe surround you and yours with a rainbow forcefield of goodness and light?  If you don't want to carry a gun and aren't concerned with protecting yourself from those who would do you harm, fine.  I really don't care as your and yours are, frankly, of no consequence to me.  I, however, choose to carry and that is my concern, not yours.  Oh, and don't worry - when those with ill intent do decide to do you harm I will respect your views and refrain from stepping in to help you with the gun that I carry. "

Maybe the biggest reason I don't generally open carry - I don't need other people asking me questions that are really none of their damned business.  Others are, of course, free to open carry if they wish.  Also, I know in this case you weren't and that your gun simply became exposed because of a wardrobe malfunction and I don't necessarily always go for deep concealment.  I just can't understand why some people don't get the concept that some things really are none of their damned business and that they have no, real justification for sticking their noses into other people's business.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I get that to some of you it's fun to piss off hippies and all, but making a big to-do about it seems like bad form, especially the part about someone bleeding out.  That's not the type of conversation I'd have with a stranger, and I wouldn't feel it my place to deliver a lecture.  Whenever I'm asked why I carry, I just tell them "I refuse to become a victim without a fight," and leave it be.

If someone thinks it is their 'place' to go out of their way to mind my business and ask me stupid questions that are none of their affair then it is certainly my 'place' to reward their behavior with a lecture.  If she had minded her own business in the first place then I'd bet Caster would never have said a word to her beyond, possibly, "How are you?" or some, similar nicety.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

Yep!  I don't open discussions, religious, political, etc. [except for here on TGO of course] with anyone. 

Now, open the door and I'll come right on in.  The worst thing people can do is try to coax my opinion because I will give it.  

• Like 3

Yep!  I don't open discussions, religious, political, etc. [except for here on TGO of course] with anyone. 

Now, open the door and I'll come right on in.  The worst thing people can do is try to coax my opinion because I will give it.  

Happens to me a lot.....someone keeps on and on wanting to know what I think. They won't stop, so finally I give in and tell them what I think. Then they leave all pizzed off. All because they couldn't mind their own business. .....and my wife wonders why I'm, not a "people person". :shake:

• Like 2

i can picture a thread on a hippie message board exactly the opposite of this one but still full of "we are better than them"

They might be better than me, who knows.  I ain't no alter boy.  I would have to ask them though, how much better they think they are with my shoe forcibly inserted into their rectum.

i can picture a thread on a hippie message board exactly the opposite of this one but still full of "we are better than them"

The difference is that we really are!  See, yet one more thing about which they are absolutely wrong.  :pleased:

Oh, and what would such a board be called, anyhow?  Maybe TGS (Tennessee Granola Owners) or possibly TGS (Tennessee Granola Stoners.)

Of course, with me it isn't about who is 'better' - it is simply about them minding their own business and keeping their nose out of mine.

Edited by JAB

I think a Hipster is what you get when you cross a Hippie with a Yuppie. :2cents:

You mean all the annoying whining and pseudo-enlightenment bs without the 'free love' that might somewhat redeem them.

• Like 1

'Free Love' ain't a redeeming quality.  It's a clap and syphilis quality.  

"Why can't you see, that free love ain't free..."

I don't agree with most of the hippy mindset, around my house we call them 'damn dirty tree hugging hippies,' and my daughter has learned that it is about the deepest insult that her father will bestow upon those he disagrees with.

• Like 1

This entire thread has kept me awake during a boring meeting.  Top notch value here at TGO.  :)

For the record, I have a sports car and a big 4x4 SUV.  I usually carry IWB, only really half concealed with my tucked in tacti-cool golf shirt.  I normally don't get many comments… could be because my high/tight haircut.

The last guy who DID comment, did so as we crossed paths, saying, "Ooooo, I feel MUCH safer now", very sarcastically.  I just countered with "It's not FOR you, son". 

:cool: 

• Like 1

It pains me to report that my 1997 Subaru wagon just blew a head gasket. It's not worth fixing since the trans is going out too. Sad. Anyone want a Subaru... cheap?  

Fortunately, my 2000 Subaru wagon is still going strong. This winter when everyone was snowed in for a day, I went out in the snow and slammed on the brakes a few times just to remind myself of what it was like to slip and slide. This spring I picked up a couple of 2x8x10' boards for the deck and carried them inside the car. I can't do that in my Dodge R3500 quadcab diesel pickup. Gotta love Subarus.

On concealed carry, I've never had anyone question or comment about my carry because in 15 years, no one has every seen it. But if it ever happens, I think I'd say something like this.

The world can be a dangerous place. If I'm ever in a situation where I'm backed into a corner and my life or the life of someone I love is on the line, I want to be able to do something more than yell, "Help!"   ....what do you plan on doing? 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

They might be better than me, who knows.  I ain't no alter boy.  I would have to ask them though, how much better they think they are with my shoe forcibly inserted into their rectum.

Shoe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z51e45W0Tdk

• Like 2