Randall Made Knives

So, I recently went on a golf trip with a bunch of buddies to Orlando, FL. While we were there, I insisted on taking a trip to Randall Made Knives to visit the shop and museum. Wow!! Totally impressed. Of course, I have always been a fan of these knives but it was really nice to visit the place. The museum was awesome. Thousands of knives on display...including Bill Scagel knives. For those who know the story, it was a Scagel knife that started Bo Randall on the trek to build the best possible knife. There are letters from Ronald Reagan during WWII thanking Bo for the knife sent to him. I was in awe.

While there, they were pulling out some knives for sale to the general public. Evidently, they have situations where the original orderer of the knife is no longer available to receive delivery (eg., died, moved, etc.) Considering it takes Randall Made nearly 5 years to deliver a knife, this isn't surprising. Needless to say, I bought a couple.

Randall Made Sign:

RandallSign_zpsxxr3nf07.jpg

Randall Made (I think this was Bo's home):

RandallMade_zpsak4yjr1q.jpg

The Museum:

RandallMuseum_zpskubtebmb.jpg

Trailblazer with copper bolster:

CopperTrailBlazer_zpsjoh8nk28.jpg

Hunter Model:

Hunter_zpsjufhiwox.jpg

• Like 3

I am not knowledgeable on this so I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but why a 5 year wait? Does he have that much business or does he just work on making them on a limited basis?

Excellent question.  Short answer:  demand exceeds capacity.  Each knife is individually hand-crafted.  This takes quite awhile and they just don't take any shortcuts in their knifemaking process. The old man, Bo Randall, was a fanatic about quality and I truly believe that same spirit remains in their operation today. 

I think they have an interesting history. Randall Made has always been a small, family-owned business.  They really began to be noticed during WWII and the demand for their blades from soldiers, sailors/marines, airmen just took off.  So....over the years demand has just grown to point where today it takes them 4 to 5 years to fulfill a custom order.  The line to get one of these knives is simply that long.

Edited by mootw
  • Like 1