I carry a snubnose revolver because.....

I've been burnin powder in single and double actions and 1911s since the seventies... Thousands if not 10 thousands of rounds fired, mostly reloads... The "jamb quantities" I've experienced in these last 35 years are almost nil for the revolvers; with the biggest offender being primers not being fully seated... The jambs in 1911's are considerably higher, mostly due to bad magazines... I am baffled and incredulous over the incidents of "revolver malfunction" vs semi autos... The only semi auto I think is anywhere near the reliability of a revolver is a Glock... Your mileage may vary....

leroy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been burnin powder in single and double actions and 1911s since the seventies... Thousands if not 10 thousands of rounds fired, mostly reloads... The "jamb quantities" I've experienced in these last 35 years are almost nil for the revolvers; with the biggest offender being primers not being fully seated... The jambs in 1911's are considerably higher, mostly due to bad magazines... I am baffled and incredulous over the incidents of "revolver malfunction" vs semi autos... The only semi auto I think is anywhere near the reliability of a revolver is a Glock... Your mileage may vary....

leroy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only got one thing to say about all that... Wilson Combat :)

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
I carry a j-frame because I can get a full firing grip on it while it's in my pocket and don't have to change that grip at all as I draw.

Try as I might with my build (6'0" and 150lbs if I've had a good breakfast) and a pair of 501s, I've yet to replicate that with an auto without some compromise. The smallest ones like the LCP are actually the worst for me in that regard.

Now, if I'm carrying on my belt - I'm choosing something larger. And by the time a pistol makes it to my hip, I've not got any question about whether or not it's going to work if needed. But, if I'm going to pocket carry - and I do a lot - I'll choose my well worn M&P 340CT every time.
  • Like 3

I bought both a semi and a snub nose in .22 (back when ammo was easier to get) so I could put a lot of rounds down range without backing the bank to decide which I liked best. I later bought a couple of large caliber semi's but didn't buy another snub till fairly recently. I bought the Ruger LCR in 9mm with moon clips (to go with my LCR .22). Figured it would be super reliable etc, and it is, accept I had 2 different lot numbers of Blazer Brass fail. The bullets actually came out of casing after the first 2 or 3 rounds were shot causing a jam. I contacted Blazer and sent them back and they replaced them after testing. They gave no excuses, just that they were a weak crimp. Replacement work fine. I have tried 6 different brands including defensive loads with no other problems but always question will it happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the SP101. Mine has one of the BEST triggers I've ever dealt with in a firearm. The DA is smoother than a baby's bottom. The gun its self is a little heavy, but that helps make if fun to shoot at the range.

That being said, my EDC is the glock 19. But if I ever have the 19 put away, the ruger comes right out. It also stays by the bed at night.

I do love my snubnose though. It's been a fantastic weapon.

Edited by ooperz
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I often carry a little S & W 642 .38 special.  I like it because it is light and comfortable and easily concealable.  Plus, I really like revolvers.  Generally I take it when I am going to places that i would consider as normally very "safe".  Any time I am going into a more populated metro area or maybe into areas that might be a little more rough, I tend to carry my .40.  

Biggest draw back i have heard about a revolver is, if there is a problem, little chance you can correct it. With a semi-auto you can usually clear a jam. 

This and reload time are the reasons I prefer a semi-auto.  The times I carry my 442 are usually along with another pistol.

• 3 weeks later...
Great 'lil home defense & occasionally throw-in-pocket during the summer months is my Model 36 "Chief's Special". Timeless J-Frame, nickel-plated w/ some stopping power, if needed.

Plus the lady can have it in her purse/bag or just in her glove box / console.

Very, very versatile. Still going strong ... not a new one, this one is from the early-70s.
  • Like 1

hard to beat a j-frame for all your carry needs.  I carried a model 36 for many mango seasons as my "bug" on my ankle while on the job.  now with the lighter wheel guns it is easy to carry one.  drop a speed strip in your pocket for one reload and all is well with the world.  put on a tyler-t grip and the j-frame is even better. 

• Like 2

I used to carry Glock, then I carried an FN57, then I carried a snub 38 and kept a SW357 as a house gun. 

Not anymore. 

Gone back to 20 rounds. 

Times have changed. The Oregon shooter wore armor. It's going to take more than 5-6 rounds to take down an attacker who is set out to kill. Might take 12 rounds of suppression just to get a head shot. 

Nope, no more wheel guns for me.

CZ P09 is my carry now.

• Like 1

I used to carry Glock, then I carried an FN57, then I carried a snub 38 and kept a SW357 as a house gun. 

Not anymore. 

Gone back to 20 rounds. 

Times have changed. The Oregon shooter wore armor. It's going to take more than 5-6 rounds to take down an attacker who is set out to kill. Might take 12 rounds of suppression just to get a head shot. 

Nope, no more wheel guns for me.

CZ P09 is my carry now.

My thought on that - and this is just for me, not criticiing your decision - is this:  "How likely is it that an armed assailant, wearing body armor, is just going to stand there while I shoot him 8, 10, 12 or 15 times?"  And my answer to myself is:  "He ain't."  If the assailant is wearing body armor, is armed with a firearm and, just as you said, is set on killing and I am there in just 'street clothes' with a handgun then - unless I get lucky and drop him on the first or second shot - he is probably going to kill me or at least put me out of the fight after I get off that first round or two.  The same goes for multiple, armed assailants.  There are no extra points for the amount of ammo left in the gun once I am down.

Keep in mind that two determined individuals took out pretty much an entire team of trained F.B.I. agents - killing two and wounding five others - in the Miami shootout.  That was with the F.B.I. agents having some idea of what to expect, not being surprised by a gunman just suddenly opening up in a crowded room, etc.  At least some of those agents did have semiauto pistols and some of them even had long guns (I remember at least one pump shotgun being mentioned.)  Also, keep in mind that the gun that finally ended the fight - in the hands of a very brave agent - was a revolver.  A S&W .357 (iirc, loaded with .38 Special or maybe .38+P ammo.)

In the North Hollywood shootout, two individuals wearing home-made body armor and armed with firearms injured eleven police officers and seven civilians while withstanding a hail of return gunfire before their spree was finally ended.  Again, police were armed with a mixture of revolvers and semiauto pistols along with a couple of shotguns, at least.  Interestingly, one of the assailants had to stop using his primary weapon - a semiauto (rifle) because it jammed and he was unable to clear it.  That jam may well have prevented death or further injury among the 'good guys'.  In the end, one of the assailants apparently shot himself and the other was taken out by a S.W.A.T. team (who shot him several times in the legs, resulting in his death from blood loss.)

The jist of all this is that one 'good guy' armed with just a handgun - be it a revolver or a semiauto - is going to have to get really lucky and stop such an assailant with one or two shots or else said 'good guy' will pretty much be toast.  Therefore, a revolver would be just as 'capable' as a semiauto in such a very, very unlikely situation.  Again, just my thoughts and the reason I figure a revolver is still just as good as a semi (maybe better) for concealed carry by a private citizen - because past those first, couple of shots it probably ain't gonna matter no how. 

Edited by JAB

My thought on that - and this is just for me, not criticiing your decision - is this:  "How likely is it that an armed assailant, wearing body armor, is just going to stand there while I shoot him 8, 10, 12 or 15 times?"  And my answer to myself is:  "He ain't."  If the assailant is wearing body armor, is armed with a firearm and, just as you said, is set on killing and I am there in just 'street clothes' with a handgun then - unless I get lucky and drop him on the first or second shot - he is probably going to kill me or at least put me out of the fight after I get off that first round or two.  The same goes for multiple, armed assailants.  There are no extra points for the amount of ammo left in the gun once I am down.

Keep in mind that two determined individuals took out pretty much an entire team of trained F.B.I. agents - killing two and wounding five others - in the Miami shootout.  That was with the F.B.I. agents having some idea of what to expect, not being surprised by a gunman just suddenly opening up in a crowded room, etc.  At least some of those agents did have semiauto pistols and some of them even had long guns (I remember at least one pump shotgun being mentioned.)  Also, keep in mind that the gun that finally ended the fight - in the hands of a very brave agent - was a revolver.  A S&W .357 (iirc, loaded with .38 Special or maybe .38+P ammo.)

In the North Hollywood shootout, two individuals wearing home-made body armor and armed with firearms injured eleven police officers and seven civilians while withstanding a hail of return gunfire before their spree was finally ended.  Again, police were armed with a mixture of revolvers and semiauto pistols along with a couple of shotguns, at least.

The jist of all this is that one 'good guy' armed with just a handgun - be it a revolver or a semiauto - is going to have to get really lucky and stop such an assailant with one or two shots or else said 'good guy' will pretty much be toast.  Therefore, a revolver would be just as 'capable' as a semiauto in such a very, very unlikely situation.  Again, just my thoughts and the reason I figure a revolver is still just as good as a semi (maybe better) for concealed carry - because past those first, couple of shots it probably ain't gonna matter no how. 

I always look at it as a worst case scenario, so I would rather have too many rounds than not enough.  I train to end the fight with the first three, but like having enough to engage accomplices or keep their heads down long enough for me to extricate me and mine from the area.  Of course having a revolver is better than nothing and they do have pluses that a semi does not but I will stick to my semis just the same.