Purse holster with retention?

I'm interested in looking at or reading about a purse that will not only conceal, but also retain a handgun for my wife.  Odds are she will not conform to on body carry and I'm concerned with having a pistol in her regular purse with a young son on the way.  Right now I have told her to carry my spare Glock with a full magazine, but not a round in the chamber.  I have good knowledge of trigger guard style holsters and will probably end up with that type if I can't find a purse with a retention system similar to a Safariland.  I"ll be searching on Google in the mean time.  Thanks in advance.  

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get her a dedicated carry purse and make sure she understands that the purse has to stay on her person at all times.  Get her to practice that now.  I bet she'll quickly decide that on body carry is far less intrusive and annoying than fumbling around with a purse.  She's gonna need both hands for the young'un, the purse will get dropped, left, etc. 

And congrats on the upcoming new addition.  They change everything.  :up:

Some models have, or long ago had, a real holster velcroed into the hidden compartment.  You could swap it out if it did not fit, it was one of those black cloth cheapos  that fit a wide variety of guns.  If you can find one like that you  can just put in whatever you are comfortable with, a couple of those Velcro with glue strips and it should stick to the purse and allow a retention draw.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start with an acceptable retention holster and figure out a way to velcro it in place so it presents well in the purse. Prior to doing that, I'd remove the unnecessary parts of the holster. 

Oh, on the Glock. You might consider getting a Kydex trigger guard with a cord attached to the purse. When the Glock is drawn, the cord pulls the trigger cover off the trigger area.

Edited by jgradyc
  • 6 months later...