Bobcat vs Coyote

The coyote did not want to have anything to do with that bobcat.  I am guessing these bikers had no idea the amount of damage that bobcat could have done to them if it attacked.  I would not feel comfortable around a bobcat out in the day that unalarmed being around people.  Something is not right with that cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6T0XM_BRMY

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere near either of those animals, especially the bobcat.  Bobcats are about the most ferocious creatures in this part of the country, they are capable of taking down animals up to 8 times their own size.   

If either one got that close to me........  That pinhead standing there was a Darwin candidate. 

And bluntly..... both of those animals need to be put down - no fear whatsoever of humans.

• Like 3

Not taking sides here but either could be pets. It is perfectly legal to have either as a pet as long as you have a permit from the TWRA. Bobcats actually make pretty good pets if you get them as kittens. I would imagine coyotes would be the same. I have a 5 week old red fox kit and my wife talked to the TWRA about them. It just became legal to own them on April 26. The only thing you can't have as a pet is a skunk. You do have to get them from a reputable breeder approved by the state, though. They would only let us get a fox from one of 3 places. The guy we used sells to a lot of Hollywood and zoos. It was actually cheaper than getting, say a lab.

I had a pair of Bobcats back in the 60's when I lived on the ranch/farm. Got them as babies from a den overlooking Harpeth River. Mother kept raiding the chicken coops so a friend and I decided to kill it. He trapped it and killed it and then noticed she was a nursing female. He decided to go down the bluff ledge to see if he could get in the den. I had him on a jeep cable and winch to lower him down. He brought back to balls of fur stuck inside his shirt Barely had their eyes open. I bottle fed them and raised them and they were just like big house cats and them and the dogs got along just fine. When I got ready to leave the ranch my mother told me the cats had to go so I took them to a friend of mine who's father owned a huge ranch and a huge house and the man took them immediately and was thrilled to get them. They lived in his house also and had the run of the ranch. Never knew what ever happened to them as life never got me down that way again for many years. Named them Mutt and Jeff. This post just reminded me of them. Mine looked a lot healthier than that one did though.

• Like 1

Yeah, neither of those animals was phased by the humans. There was something up there. 

There is a video my wife was showing me the other day of a fox playing in a yard with some dog toys, this made me think of it. It didn't show any fear either.

Yeah, neither of those animals was phased by the humans. There was something up there. 

There is a video my wife was showing me the other day of a fox playing in a yard with some dog toys, this made me think of it. It didn't show any fear either.

I saw that video too and thought the fox was just having too much fun with "toys" to have not had lots of human interaction....

I also wish that my dogs played that lively with their toys.... Zzzzzzzz

My first thought was that the bobcat and the coyote are both someone's pets, at least in a nominal fashion - most likely the same someone.  The coyote not only didn't act skiddish of the people, it acted more like a dog than a coyote to my thinking.  Likewise, it and the bobcat seemed familiar with each other and it looked like there was a well-established pecking order there.  Notice the bobcat didn't actually attack the coyote, just put it in its place - much like a housecat will do with a dog with which it lives and has an uneasy truce.  Why the heck else would these two animals be hanging out around each other - and in broad daylight, to boot?

This is one of my personal favorite animal vs. animal videos - a bobcat vs. a rattlesnake. 

https://youtu.be/FPMnZwKHFd4

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I had some friends over one night. We were sitting around a fire talking and drinking when coyotes started raising hell. All of a sudden a bobcat let out a bloodcurdling scream from the same direction as the coyotes...Silence. Like someone flipped a switch. Not another whimper out of anything the rest of the night.

Edited by KaNuckles
  • Like 2