cheap bow?

Hello,

I'm interested in a cheap starter bow to learn with and possibly deal with a skunk if he keeps hanging out in our yard.

What's the concensus on the bows pawn shops sell for around 100 bucks?

Anything in particular to stay away from?

Thanks,

I know a little bit about bows, I'm not an expert by any means.  The main thing that I'd be concerned about buying any used bow is the condition of all of the moving parts, the condition of all of the hardware holding everything together and finally the condition of the string.  From what I understand you do not want your string to break.  It is also not cheap to have a string replaced so you may have to spend a considerable amount of money to get a used bow in usable condition.  But personally I wouldn't shoot a skunk with a bow, you're just asking for trouble.

• Like 1

I know a little bit about bows, I'm not an expert by any means.  The main thing that I'd be concerned about buying any used bow is the condition of all of the moving parts, the condition of all of the hardware holding everything together and finally the condition of the string.  From what I understand you do not want your string to break.  It is also not cheap to have a string replaced so you may have to spend a considerable amount of money to get a used bow in usable condition.  But personally I wouldn't shoot a skunk with a bow, you're just asking for trouble.

I bought a used compound bow at the Sweetwater Flea Market a few years back.  It had camo tape wrapped around the limbs.  It needed a new string, etc. so I took it to an archery shop that used to be out near Melton Hill Dam (really helpful bunch of folks - was sorry to see them close.)  The first thing the guy (shop owner, I think) did was pull the camo tape off.  He said that I had gotten lucky that there were no cracks in the limbs (which the tape would have hidden and which would have rendered the bow unusable) and that the bow, although an older model, was in pretty good shape.  He then had me draw the bow and said that I had gotten lucky a second time in that the draw length of the bow was a good fit for me.  If it hadn't been then I wouldn't have been able to use the bow as effectively.  He then installed the 'minimum' of things it needed to be a good, usable bow - including a new string with a peep sight to use in conjunction with an inexpensive fiber-optic sight he also installed.  He also cut a few carbon arrows to fit the draw length and fitted them with practice heads.  Finally, I bought a very inexpensive belt quiver.  All told, I paid $50 for the bow at the flea market and about $98 to have the 'minimal needed' equipment installed on it.

While there, he let me shoot a much newer bow that was about half the overall length of mine, was lighter than mine, was about half as difficult to fully draw as mine and actually had a higher poundage than mine.  Man, that thing was nice - and easier to shoot accurately because of being lighter, easier to draw and so on.  Of course, it also cost a little more than twice what I had in mine, all told but - looking at it another way - the price of buying and making an old, used bow 'usable' would have gotten me almost half way to a much nicer bow.  I honestly haven't shot the bow a whole lot since getting it - it is one of those 'one of these days' things for me, I guess.  Also, for my purposes, I think I would have enjoyed a decent recurve bow more, anyhow but I'll be keeping it just in case.

Edited by JAB

I bought my bow in 2000.  I've recently had the urge to get back into archery but saw no sense in spending the money to get a new bow.  Went to Bass Pro Shops this past weekend to have my bow restrung and picked up a new lower end compound.  Man, bows sure have come a long way in the past 15 years!  It probably weighed half of what mine does.  I figure it's going to cost me $250 more to buy a new bow than it is to get my old one up and running like it should be.  I think I'll just get the old one up and running and if I shoot and hunt a lot this year I may pick up a new bow next year.  That leaves money for a new muzzleloader this year!

Edited by 10-Ring

Hello,

I'm interested in a cheap starter bow to learn with and possibly deal with a skunk if he keeps hanging out in our yard.

What's the concensus on the bows pawn shops sell for around 100 bucks?

Anything in particular to stay away from?

Thanks,

Have you given any thought to starting with a recurve bow? They're cheaper and you're less likely to get a bad one. Do you have any friends who know what to watch for on a used compound bow? Aside from obvious cracks it the limbs or riser, there's misaligned pulleys, cracks under the hardware to watch for, stripped out mounts on the riser, etc.

I bought a used compound bow at the Sweetwater Flea Market a few years back.  It had camo tape wrapped around the limbs.  It needed a new string, etc. so I took it to an archery shop that used to be out near Melton Hill Dam (really helpful bunch of folks - was sorry to see them close.)  The first thing the guy (shop owner, I think) did was pull the camo tape off.  He said that I had gotten lucky that there were no cracks in the limbs (which the tape would have hidden and which would have rendered the bow unusable) and that the bow, although an older model, was in pretty good shape.  He then had me draw the bow and said that I had gotten lucky a second time in that the draw length of the bow was a good fit for me.  If it hadn't been then I wouldn't have been able to use the bow as effectively.  He then installed the 'minimum' of things it needed to be a good, usable bow - including a new string with a peep sight to use in conjunction with an inexpensive fiber-optic sight he also installed.  He also cut a few carbon arrows to fit the draw length and fitted them with practice heads.  Finally, I bought a very inexpensive belt quiver.  All told, I paid $50 for the bow at the flea market and about $98 to have the 'minimal needed' equipment installed on it.

While there, he let me shoot a much newer bow that was about half the overall length of mine, was lighter than mine, was about half as difficult to fully draw as mine and actually had a higher poundage than mine.  Man, that thing was nice - and easier to shoot accurately because of being lighter, easier to draw and so on.  Of course, it also cost a little more than twice what I had in mine, all told but - looking at it another way - the price of buying and making an old, used bow 'usable' would have gotten me almost half way to a much nicer bow.  I honestly haven't shot the bow a whole lot since getting it - it is one of those 'one of these days' things for me, I guess.  Also, for my purposes, I think I would have enjoyed a decent recurve bow more, anyhow but I'll be keeping it just in case.

I bought a gorgeous vintage compound with a wood riser at a gun show. It was in perfect shape to be so old. The guy at the bow shop tried to talk me out of pouring any money into 'that old thing', but I like the vintage look and was glad to update it with new accessories. I get a big kick out of shooting the old gal, but like you said, the new models are just amazing. They're almost as easy to shoot as a rifle nowadays, LOL.

Crossbows are good, however, arrows and skunks don't mix.

Dave

I feel like an arrow would cause excess odor.  Probably a good piece of advice.

As for a bow though, I am 41, and hadn't shot since I was a kid, and not a ton then.  I have had surgery on both of my shoulders, so wanted to get something that would be fun and help me "rehab".

I got a 40lb Martin recurve from Sportsman's guide for less than a $100 and have shot the hell out of it.  40lbs was DEFINITELY enough to get me a good work out.  I may jump up to a 55 or 60lb next year if this one ever gets too easy for me, but I have been enjoying shooting it, and have been getting routine bullseyes at 35 yards. 

• Like 1