Anybody Remember?

Yah d day,it is a big deal to most semi educated Americans who did not sleep through history class. We lost more warriors on that day than we did in the past 10 yrs fighting downrange....
God bless those who made it and those who didn't. That was in the days when Americans cherished the flag and would stomp the crap out of anyone who would desecrate her.. Thanks for posting
  • Like 7

My Dad and my Grandfather (Welsh) both fought in the war. Dad met my Mom during the war. She lived through the Blitz.

My dad met my mom after the war, he re-enlisted in a medical unit and went to Japan. My mom was the daughter of a Captain in the Signal Corps over in Japan.

• Like 4

“Boys of Pointe du Hoc”

Thank's for posting the video.   My sister-in-law's Dad was one of the Rangers that scaled those cliffs and was fortunate enough to live through it.    He was one of the most kind and unassuming men I've had the pleasure to have met.   I wish he was still alive to shake his hand again.    

• Like 7

Hard to believe it's been over 70 years already.

SUPREME HEADQUARTERS
ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944 ! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground.

Our Home Fronts have given us an superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your devotion to duty and skill in battle.
We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

• Like 6

The men that stormed the beaches in the morning, and jumped behind them the night before can never be thanked enough.  If they hadn't done what they did, the war in Europe would have been very different.  They literally helped to change the world.

This is how we once remembered. 

“Boys of Pointe du Hoc”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIqdcHbc8I#t=772

A great speech, and from the heart, but it was on the 40th anniversary when everybody was doing something for D-Day.  What did President Reagan do on the 41st anniversary of D-Day?  That would be a better comparison since this is the 71st anniversary.  Not even a word in The Reagan Diaries for June 6th, 1985 about D-Day.  Just a visit to a school during the day and a fundraiser at night.  A normal day for the President.

Hard to believe it's been over 70 years already.

71 to be exact.  That's why there isn't a big to-do over this years anniversary, it's not a "celebrating year".  Last year for the 70th anniversary they had a big remembrance, with members of the allied nations on hand for ceremonies, and events like these examples of awesome.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/10878857/D-Day-parachute-jump-89-year-old-perfects-Normandy-landing.html

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/05/world/europe/d-day-paratrooper-jumps-again/

We'll probably see something on the 75th anniversary, maybe the 80th, and of course the 100th.  Then the day will fall into history like every other battle that is only celebrated every 50-100 years.  Sad yes, but that's life.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 3

I took this photo at the National D Day Memorial in Bedford, Virginia in June of 2006. There were 2,500 of these on D Day and I sure as heck haven't forgotten. I spent three years in the Seventh Army in Germany and served with a lot of senior NCO's who were veterans of the war in Europe. They called it the Greatest Generation for a reason.

D-DayMemorial062-2_zpsarvhrt15.jpg

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 3

I took this photo at the National D Day Memorial in Bedford, Virginia in June of 2006. There were 2,500 of these on D Day and I sure as heck haven't forgotten. I spent three years in the Seventh Army in Germany and served with a lot of senior NCO's who were veterans of the war in Europe. [B]They called it the Greatest Generation for a reason.[/B]

Alot of people don't realize, especially the younger ones that they litterally saved the world. The atom bomb was no secret, Germany and Japan new how to make one, just processing the uranium was the hard part but both countries were working on it. If the allies hadn't bombed the crap out of Germany and invaded France on D-Day, I really believe Germany would have developed a working atom bomb, first used it on London with the V2 rocket, then Moscow and the U.S.. Remember, German u-boats were looking at the lights of New York in their periscopes so they could and did reach the U.S. at the start of the war with America. American might and will and alot of brave patriots prevented that.

• Like 2

I think they were the most outstanding generation this country will ever know or ever see again. I have all the respect in the world for our troops serving now and those that have served since 911. They have done and outstanding job but nothing will ever compare to the generation that served in WWII.................jmho

• Like 1

Crossfire thanks for the reminder, this is a day that I generally don't forget. Another few dates that most don't celebrate is June 5th, 1944 this is when the Allies entered Rome, also the Brits dumped 5,000 tons of bombs from 1,000 bombers on Normandy coast. And the one that really counts is May 8, 1945 which is VE day, victory in Europe. Thanks to all the vets and their families who paid prices we cannot comprehend for our freedoms.

• Like 1