Portable two way radio

I'm searching for the best alternative to communication if by chamce some day cell towers are shut down. It could either be a ham radio or cities band it won't matter at that point just want the best for the dollar that'll hold up under survival conditions.
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of cheap (Baofeng) portable Ham radios wrapped in anti-static/EMP bags that I keep in my gun safe.  They would supplement my regular Ham gear, and/or could be used as trade goods if SHTF.  They can be had for $25-$30 on ebay.

I'm searching for the best alternative to communication if by chamce some day cell towers are shut down. It could either be a ham radio or cities band it won't matter at that point just want the best for the dollar that'll hold up under survival conditions.

These radios probably won't be as durable as Yaesu or Kenwood but for the price are great. 

Yaesu HT's are usually pretty good. That's the quadband.  My buddy has one and is very happy with it.

If it is in your budget, don't hesitate.

You are licensed, right?  (I don't remember all the ham ops here).

Bert - K4AR

Edited by R_Bert

Yaesu HT's are usually pretty good. That's the quadband.  My buddy has one and is very happy with it.

If it is in your budget, don't hesitate.

You are licensed, right?  (I don't remember all the ham ops here).

Bert - K4AR

Actually no I'm not licensed. I don't plan to use it for anything unless for some god forsaken reason this country goes to shit and we are in survival mode. I'm thinking cell phones Internet and the likes will be shut down and about all that'll be good for communication would be a two way radio. If this happens ( I hope it never does) I just want some form of communication without the govt shitting me out completely, and if it does happen who's gonna care about a license it'll be a free for all for survival.

I know it's just me thinking but I like to be somewhat prepared

Actually no I'm not licensed. I don't plan to use it for anything unless for some god forsaken reason this country goes to #### and we are in survival mode. I'm thinking cell phones Internet and the likes will be shut down and about all that'll be good for communication would be a two way radio. If this happens ( I hope it never does) I just want some form of communication without the govt ####ting me out completely, and if it does happen who's gonna care about a license it'll be a free for all for survival.

I know it's just me thinking but I like to be somewhat prepared

Go ahead and get a license (for the call-sign).  It's real easy, cheap, and quick..  Then, you will have someone to talk to (no, it won't be 'who cares" on that radio. Old ham habits are hard to break).

But you are right.  In life or death emergency, no call-sign is needed,  However, ... cooperation is.....

Edited by R_Bert
  • 3 weeks later...

Look at getting some GPRS radio's they aren't as cheap as 2 m ham radio's but you can use them without requiring a license for short distances around 2 to 3 miles.  If you want to increase the power to get closer to 20 miles you will need to "Buy" a license.  There aren't the commercial restrictions you get with ham radio's.

Thanks

Robert