Project Chicken Coop

Well our first venture into the world of poultry has begun. We got out first ten feathered friends yesterday. The coop took me about a week to build and that was probably a miracle. I have to say I have no prior carpentry training and before this the most I had built was a set of shelves. The building was already there so that helped. I think it turned out pretty darn good.
32BD074A-546C-4313-827A-6879DFB0EDE7_zps
1B996CC7-2477-4350-A790-1D6F6AAE8FCA_zps
E677045D-88EF-4CD0-A899-CE50F390E124_zps
1B22BA66-8E32-4984-AA95-8135FAA4A06B_zps

• Like 2

Looks good to me and I've seen a bunch of chicken coops. If you have a large yard that you want the chicken's to police up the ticks and other bugs on you might consider building some chicken tractors. That'll keep hawks, eagles and four legged critters off of the egg makers. The eggs will taste better too.

• Like 1

Great job! Started keeping them myself last year. Gutter and small rain barrel helps with watering . I piped in some nipple waterers so they can't get it dirty. Also, hanging feeders are great and start thinking about keeping the water unfrozen. Gave me a fit on those 9 degree days last winter. I'm also currently looking into buying coyote urine to keep mice at bay.  

• Like 1

Great job! Started keeping them myself last year. Gutter and small rain barrel helps with watering . I piped in some nipple waterers so they can't get it dirty. Also, hanging feeders are great and start thinking about keeping the water unfrozen. Gave me a fit on those 9 degree days last winter. I'm also currently looking into buying coyote urine to keep mice at bay.

We'll actually have heaters in the winter. We have electric run out to the pond for the old pump. Since we aren't using that, he's gonna pull it back to the barn. I do like the idea of rain barrel and gutters! This is coop.0 there's a larger shed on the property that I'm hoping to convince him to make the "adult" coop and use this one as a nursery. Eventually. I want ducks too. Besides, that's a fall project. It's too dang hot now!

Looks good to me and I've seen a bunch of chicken coops. If you have a large yard that you want the chicken's to police up the ticks and other bugs on you might consider building some chicken tractors. That'll keep hawks, eagles and four legged critters off of the egg makers. The eggs will taste better too.

Chicken tractor.  Google has educated me.  Fascinating. 

Be aware that now you will have somewhat of an influx of certain snakes, raccoons and possums..

Hawks do like small baby chicks..

If they in the coop at night ,make sure you have adequate security so nothing can get into the coop.. 

Nice set up btw.. I loved mine and it was a hoot to watch barely feathered out turkeys strut around..

• Like 1
The top of the coop is covered in wire. That will hopefully keep them out. The Chicken Tractors made me laugh super hard but I love that idea!! That's next. Then stealing the big shed for the adt coop. I think I have him bribed by the offering of ducks!

GT, I make mean deviled eggs with candied bacon! No soul though! We're in this for the eggs.... For now.... ;-)
  • Authorized Vendor

The top of the coop is covered in wire. That will hopefully keep them out. The Chicken Tractors made me laugh super hard but I love that idea!! That's next. Then stealing the big shed for the adt coop. I think I have him bribed by the offering of ducks!

GT, I make mean deviled eggs with candied bacon! No soul though! We're in this for the eggs.... For now.... ;-)

You're the devil for tempting me.newlaugh.gif I'll need that recipe. laugh.gif

Get some poli- visol without Iron in it.( walmart). gives the birds a good start ( a drop in the waterer will do it)..sevin dust is a must. .they get lice easily..:)

I bought cracked shellfish powder for extra egg laying  power( calcium) ..if you need to know anything else.. just ask:) I loved my birds.. until stray dogs and possum killed lot of them.. :(

• Like 1

Be aware that now you will have somewhat of an influx of certain snakes, raccoons and possums..
Hawks do like small baby chicks..
If they in the coop at night ,make sure you have adequate security so nothing can get into the coop..
Nice set up btw.. I loved mine and it was a hoot to watch barely feathered out turkeys strut around..

I think the coop is very secure. Chicken wire on top and hardware cloth on sides all secured with heavy staples. We also have 5' farm fence around the yard. Between that and the dog hoard I'm hoping to keep all the critters away. I will be watching for snakes but we do that anyway because of the copperheads around here.
  • Like 1

I will second the "under side" secure as well.

If you can dig under the fence so will the birds and the varmints.

I ran my wire about 2 feet out from the bottom of the fence, grass has grown

into the wire and you can not see it and the mower dont hit it.

Some say chicken tractor?

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/COUP/DSCF1147_zps474a1533.jpg.html]DSCF1147_zps474a1533.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/COUP/DSCF1148_zps3719f00b.jpg.html]DSCF1148_zps3719f00b.jpg[/URL]

Pics of the big coup, you can see the wire in the grass.

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/big%20coup/bigcoup1_zps3d0bcb60.jpg.html]bigcoup1_zps3d0bcb60.jpg[/URL]

I wanted the coup off the ground, poop pit on the left, shade and rain cover on the right.

The coup is one big space, I just put up 2 ramps, I close the left in the winter.

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/big%20coup/bigcoup2_zps82698fe6.jpg.html]bigcoup2_zps82698fe6.jpg[/URL]

• Like 2

I will add the Mr and Mrs Monkey did build a nice looking setup.

Is there a door to get into the coup other than from the pen?

A door into the coup will make it easier to clean out in the winter.

TSC had good rubber boots, get some, it will get deep with mud in the winter.

Water heater from TSC is 30 to 40 dollars.

Find a cookie tin, round is better(I got 4 from the Good Will store).

Get some blub bases, 1 for each tin, I had 4 waters to keep from freezing.

Mount the blub base inside the tin, I use a 100 watt rough service blub.

Tie it with wire it to the bottom of the water pan, plug it in, my water was wet all winter,

even them very cold days and nights.

You drill the hole for the wire in the side, seal it with clear silicone, at night you can "see" the light.

I built 4 for the price if 1 of then store bought things. LOL

Edited by RED333
  • Like 1

I did not heat my coup, I have read that if the birds get used to the heat and power
goes out the birds suffer and could die.

Your coop is amazing. I have coop envy. MAJOR coop envy. This is why I need him to surrender te big shed. Oh, by sharing those pics you have so inspired me and created a headache for him!! LOL And for the record I meant soup! I do have a soul! LOL dang auto correct.

GT, I don't use recipes :-/ I just usually throw everything in and mix. Then it's all tasting until it is perfect. I have a large well fed man usually standing over my shoulder offering tasting assistance! As for the candied bacon... Wow, it's great! Wrights bacon, put it on a baking rack and cover it in brown sugar and bake it! I got the combo idea when we ate at Bricktops. So. Dang. Good. We always put Melinda's habanero sauce on top. Sweet, salty and spicy. It can't be beat!

Chickens are great. Nothing like fresh eggs from your own chickens. This is my dad's setup. The nesting boxes have latched doors on the outside so eggs can be gathered from the outside, and right inside the door there is a 2 ft space, then a wall built from lumber and chicken wire. The water and feed goes in the space and the chickens can easily reach there heads through for both, but don't knock it over and mess in it so bad. Walk in doors for cleaning are a huge plus. This one is built out of Oak lumber. We cut the timber, then used a band mill to turn it into lumber and build the bate and board style coop.

20130422_193602_zps94471ea9.jpg

20130422_193633_zpsaf362aa5.jpg
20130422_193533_zpsa276b7fb.jpg

Sent from the backwoods

• Like 3
Kind of on topic but any of you guys ever clipped wings? My chickens have my whole fenced in back yard to wander and I am thinking of clipping them. The young ones keep jumping the fence and going into the neighbors yard. I've read when they get older and full size they don't fly and jump much but I just can't wait. The neighbor is afraid of chickens. Also my outside dog is also in the backyard so she will guard the chickens from predators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of on topic but any of you guys ever clipped wings? My chickens have my whole fenced in back yard to wander and I am thinking of clipping them. The young ones keep jumping the fence and going into the neighbors yard. I've read when they get older and full size they don't fly and jump much but I just can't wait. The neighbor is afraid of chickens. Also my outside dog is also in the backyard so she will guard the chickens from predators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Hold the wing out, using a sharp pair of scissors cut the 4 or so feathers that stick out even with the rest of the feathers. To save time I only cut one side.

Yep. Hold the wing out, using a sharp pair of scissors cut the 4 or so feathers that stick out even with the rest of the feathers. To save time I only cut one side.

Thanks. I watched some videos online but my chickens feathers are really dark and hard to see if there may be blood in them. They aren't full grown yet but are fully feathered so it shouldn't be too early? Any ball park on how high to cut? Just don't want to hurt them.