Insurance coverage on guns

I'm making some changes as far as residency and my housing situation.  I haven't had coverage outside of my homeowners and I'm honestly not even sure what is covered.  I will be renting for the next year so I went ahead and checked to see what I had through my rental insurance, it only has $2500 worth of coverage.  To get more coverage the insurance company wants an itemized list of my firearms.  I don't want to give anyone an itemized list of the guns that I own.  Is there anyway around doing this?  I'd rather take my chances and not have coverage than give someone a list of what I have.

I'm making some changes as far as residency and my housing situation.  I haven't had coverage outside of my homeowners and I'm honestly not even sure what is covered.  I will be renting for the next year so I went ahead and checked to see what I had through my rental insurance, it only has $2500 worth of coverage.  To get more coverage the insurance company wants an itemized list of my firearms.  I don't want to give anyone an itemized list of the guns that I own.  Is there anyway around doing this?  I'd rather take my chances and not have coverage than give someone a list of what I have.

A separate valuable items policy always requires detailed description of the contents insured, whether they be firearms, jewelry, artwork, collections, etc. I don't know any way around it.

Btw, SAFECO insures firearms on homeowners and rental policies as part of the entire blanket coverage, no separate policy required. But even they want the detailed listing, otherwise a claim would be pretty iffy.

Doesn't bother me, but perhaps I need more tinfoil. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Wellsir, like most of us, your insurance policy will have to be a secure gun safe, some good locks, and a decent alarm system in your rental, plus some good common sense about who knows you have guns in the first place. Anything more than that will require you to provide a list, I'm afraid. I don't know any other way around it because, like OS says, insuring specific properties always requires specific identities of each item.

Wellsir, like most of us, your insurance policy will have to be a secure gun safe, some good locks, and a decent alarm system in your rental, plus some good common sense about who knows you have guns in the first place. Anything more than that will require you to provide a list, I'm afraid. I don't know any other way around it because, like OS says, insuring specific properties always requires specific identities of each item.

I have the safe already, but being in a rental other people will have keys.  The management company assured me that the locks would be changed before I move in but I wouldn't bet my paycheck on that happening.  I may possibly just pick up a smaller safe to keep the HD weapons close and keep the bulk of my collection off site at a safe place, which fortunately is an option for me.  

they can't be expected to insure you for stuff you don't actually own.   They do the exact same thing on every other itemized thing you get insured, from musical instruments to jewelry to art.  They usually want positive ID on the item and appraisal / replacement value.   Its just self defense, too many people have tried to cheat the insurers for "losses" of nonexistent items after a break-in or fire or the like.   Any reputable insurer is going to be able to be trusted with the info.  However, they are subject to the same information hax and issues as any other company, and the occasional crooked employee.  I would print it up and ask them to keep it in paper form only locked in their file cabinet, ironically probably the easiest to steal there but safest as well.

I have additional insurance through the NRA's ArmsCare Plus since I didn't want to declare what I have through my homeowners either.   Their insurance doesn't require documentation on a firearm unless it's individual value is over $2,500.   You just total up the value of all your firearms and deduct $2,500 off the total since the first $2,500 is free with your membership.  

Obviously if you have to file a claim you are going to have to prove ownership.    

http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/armscareplus.htm

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 2

I have additional insurance through the NRA's ArmsCare Plus since I didn't want to declare what I have through my homeowners either.   Their insurance doesn't require documentation on a firearm unless it's individual value is over $2,500.   You just total up the value of all your firearms and deduct $2,500 off the total since the first $2,500 is free with your membership.  

Obviously if you have to file a claim you are going to have to prove ownership.    

http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/armscareplus.htm

That sounds like what I'm looking for, thanks! I have each firearm thoroughly photographed to include serial numbers and I store then online where they can be accessed from anywhere. Not 100 percent sure that would prove ownership but is say it's a good start.

I have each firearm thoroughly photographed to include serial numbers and I store then online where they can be accessed from anywhere. Not 100 percent sure that would prove ownership but is say it's a good start.

I believe that's what most insurance companies will want.   As others have mentioned, that's the information that was required to go through their homeowner's insurance.  

For me, I have the photos including s#'s all taken in the same spot in the house to show it wasn't just some random photo.   I also made an Excel spreadsheet listing the firearms.   That includes; manufacturer, S#, model #, caliber, barrel length, where it was purchased, the initial purchase price, and also the current estimated value.   I also retain the receipt if it was an FFL purchase.     

I'm also in the process of working up a list for a personal property policy.  My homeowners, cars, and motorcycle are all through State Farm.  I called my agent and asked for the details of the coverage through my homeowners....  $2500 max total, $1500 max per individual, with a ~$1000 deductible.  My collection isn't extensive my any means, but that's not even close.  So I too am compiling a list of guns, jewelry, art, musical instruments, etc.   I'm not real fond of having to document everything, but it's a necessary evil. 

I just did a review of my insurance coverages and went through the same situation to make sure my guns were covered.As Hersh suggested look into Collect Insure and also historic firearms through Eastern Insurance, their minimum is $125 for 35k in coverage. Both are cheaper than Armscare. Same concept as the Armscare just keep pictures and serial numbers handy in case anything ever happens. I ending up getting Collect Insure as I don't need 35k in coverage.
Years ago when i was in school my parents bought a policy for my belongings in case anything significant was stolen from my dorm. I don't think we had to declare anything, but obviously I wasn't trying to cover firearms so I don't know that it would have, but maybe there's a similar policy that does. This one was also pretty pricey, around 75.00 for $3k coverage. Edited by Guest