Walmart strikes again, this time more serious

So we recently had a tire on our new to us SUV start leaking. I told my wife to take it to Walmart and have them fix it, that was last week sometime. The worker said the rim had a crack. My wife became worried it might fail so I told her we would get it fixed. This past Wednesday my wife went to Walmart and had them remove the leaky tire/wheel from the vehicle and put the spare on. Then the worker removed the tire from the "cracked" wheel and placed it in the back of the SUV.

The wheel was inspected that same day and it was NOT cracked at all. So the tire and wheel was placed back into the SUV to go back to Walmart.

My wife went back to Walmart on Thursday and had a worker put the tire and wheel back together and secure the spare back under the vehicle. She thought everything was good to go and went home.

The rear door of our SUV is automatic. You have to hit a button, either on the key fob or  the door itself or from the driver's seat, to open and close the rear door. You cannot pull down on the door to close it, at least not without doing a certain way that is way more complicated than pushing a button.

Well it turns out everything was not fine. This morning my wife went to open the back it made an awful racket, raised 1/2 way then closed. And in the process scraping the paint because the door itself, or the frame, is bent bad enough to scrape the panel next to the door.

The best we can figure is the idiot opened the rear door then forgot it was automatic. Then after he was done working on the tires he tried to close the rear door without pushing the button. He had to of swung from it like a jungle gym with his full weight on it because it did bend the door, or frame, as well as probably shearing the teeth off the cogs that raise and lower the door. We contacted Walmart and they are "investigating".

The worker that did it already lied about it by saying it easily closed but the manager said the worker said he didn;t know the door was automatic. So if he didn't hit the button to automatically close it he had to have forced it and based on the damage he had to have hung off of it.

Hoping they do the right thing. Monday we are getting a estimate for repair and if Walmart doesn't pay then I will file and insurance claim against the worker himself as well as Walmart.

Now if he had screwed up and come clean I would not have been so upset. But the fact he did it then let it go out the door really upset me, especially when my wife talked to him about it before she left. Then when confronted again he lied again to try to cover himself.

I am thinking he did $3K-$5K worth of damage. Hopefully it is not but I cannot see a partial paint job, replacing the gear drives and replacing the rear door being cheap.

• Like 1
And Friday I spoke to the district manager about the sporting goods manager. A friend caught him stashing ammunition, again, under the display cases then sell them to obvious friends. I have personally caught him stashing it as well as saying he will never order or sell hollow points because they are "designed to maim children". He also said military calibers are designed to kill children and the only guns a person should have is a bolt action. He is a Vietnam Veteran so he probably in love with Jane Fonda and what she has said.

I have filed complaints against him and what he has said to me several times. The store manager, Stacy, refuses to do anything to fix his store. I have been called an idiot, implied I am a thief and threatened by associates yet the manager continues to allow it to happen.

The manager is nice but acts as spineless as they come. i guess his employees have something in him or he just doesn't care, either way he should not be in charge of cleaning the fish tanks.
  • Like 2

Having your vehicles serviced at Walmart is roughly akin to expecting to get a gourmet meal through the McDonald's drive-through window ...

Got less than a paragraph in and this ^ is where my mind went.

Made this mistake 1 time 10 years ago.

Problem with walmart, they are operated by people.  Every place has them, some good and some not so good.  No way to avoid. 

I for one, trust no one with my car repairs and maintenance.  I have been this way for over 25 years. 

• Like 2
I have a very hard time finding a mechanic. I've been through Automotive school, ASE certified and I was a helicopter mechanic so I'm slightly on the picky side. Like super picky. That said, the new job requires that most of my work be done elsewhere due to time constraints. I have had the best luck from smaller independent shops that employ ASE Certified technicans. They usually care more about their customer base, and the techs have much more experience in doing it right the first time. Quick lube and Walmart type guys normally are much younger, inexperienced and paid close to minimum wage with little training. I hope you get the money out of him for the door, he should have just done the right thing, Man Up, admit your mistake and carry on. As for the manager and child killer hollow points. I wouldn't frequent that store any longer and I would call corporate every chance I had when something happened. Also, if he is a Vietnam Vet, he has obviously forgotten that hollow points werent meant as child killers, but Napalm sticks to kids!

Sent from the backwoods

And Friday I spoke to the district manager about the sporting goods manager. A friend caught him stashing ammunition, again, under the display cases then sell them to obvious friends. I have personally caught him stashing it as well as saying he will never order or sell hollow points because they are "designed to maim children". He also said military calibers are designed to kill children and the only guns a person should have is a bolt action. He is a Vietnam Veteran so he probably in love with Jane Fonda and what she has said.

I have filed complaints against him and what he has said to me several times. The store manager, Stacy, refuses to do anything to fix his store. I have been called an idiot, implied I am a thief and threatened by associates yet the manager continues to allow it to happen.

The manager is nice but acts as spineless as they come. i guess his employees have something in him or he just doesn't care, either way he should not be in charge of cleaning the fish tanks.

I understand how pissed you must be. but to make a statement " He is a Vietnam Veteran so he probably in love with Jane Fonda and what she has said."  You have no idea how pissed you make me.

We use the Co-op around here and they about as bad. The alignment guy is good and been doing it for years. They had a local guy who got in a pissing match at Firestone with his boss and he was pretty good. Other than that the rest do good to change tires and use the machines.

We had a brand new Bronco II in 1996. After the 3rd oil change the idiot (there was only 1 back then) told Dad he needed to get a new oil pan and plug because the last guy who changed the oil had stripped out the plug hole. The manager went blood red and reminded him that he was the one who changed the oil last.

Finding a good mechanic is getting harder nowadays. A lot of good younger guys are going to high end import shops and dealers. It's just where the money is. We are lucky to have a great local shop here that does good work. Not the cheapest but really good. As for the walmart, I would avoid doing business with them again. Sounds like poor management and that has a bad trickle down effect on any business.
  • Like 1

I understand how pissed you must be. but to make a statement " He is a Vietnam Veteran so he probably in love with Jane Fonda and what she has said."  You have no idea how pissed you make me.

My intent was not to upset you but to show what kind of Vietnam veteran this guy is. I know saying a Vietnam veteran liked the things Fonda had to say are fighting words but I have no doubt that is exactly how this guy feels because we have talked about gun related stuff. The stuff he spews is generally a lot worse than most liberals and because he is over sporting goods he HAS the ability to affect gun owners. Like I said I have caught him hiding "military" calibers several times because he believe they should not be sold to civilians. Funny thing is he said a 30-06 is a great hunting round and is NOT a military caliber. I have seen him as he has scoffed at customers wanting to look at ARs. He tells customers that an AR is unreliable and that it was designed to kill kids which turns most people away.

I personally asked him to check the UPC code on some hollow point subsonic 22's that I KNOW are in the system. I brought the UPC code I ripped from a box I bought from that store and asked if he could order more. He looked them up and said he would not order them because they are hollow points.

He has recommended pellet rifles to customers to use to kill their neighbors pets.

He is NOT the store manager, only the manager over sporting goods.

Request the videos in writing. I almost guarantee they have video.

I asked and they said they would not release the video or even the statement from the guy who did it.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Administrator

I think he was saying that in context with the fact that the guy was offensive to him in every other fashion.   It'd be like you finding out that the pacifist weirdo behind the counter was a Airman stationed in Afghanistan, and subsequently saying he must have been one of those Taliban-pacifying goat-screwing types.

I didn't read it that he thinks every Vietnam Vet has a pinup poster of [someone pissing on] Jane Fonda on the front of their gun safe.   :)

• Like 3
Did you do it in writing to corporate? I doubt the locals would agree to it, but I would want something in writing from them telling me no. I guess it depends how far you plan to take it. If you think you may have to resort to the legal system, do it in writing formally asap. This way they can't say they taped over them. Explicitely tell them to save the video for possible later legal proceedings. That will get their attention.
  • Administrator

Gordon, my fear for you after reading all of this is that you've had some legitimate but minor complaints about this Wal-Mart store in the past, perhaps even recently, and that the District Manager and maybe even Corporate are going to discount your new claim about the Tire & Lube technician damaging your vehicle as yet another complaint from a disgruntled customer.  I'm afraid they will use the straw man argument of "We have a pile of complaints from this guy already and this is just the latest one.  If he is so unhappy with Wal-Mart, why does he keep coming back unless he's just gunning for a lawsuit?" and discount the claim as frivolous.

Unless they caught it on camera or someone is willing to step forward and affirm that the technician did indeed damage it for you, you may have a long uphill slog on your hands.

:meh:

Walmart did the oil changes on my cars for years, and I figured they couldn't screw one of those up, but no such luck. One overfill and two incorrect oils later, I now have my cars serviced by an independent, licensed ASE Certified Master Tech who does wonderful work.

My intent was not to upset you but to show what kind of Vietnam veteran this guy is. I know saying a Vietnam veteran liked the things Fonda had to say are fighting words but I have no doubt that is exactly how this guy feels because we have talked about gun related stuff. The stuff he spews is generally a lot worse than most liberals and because he is over sporting goods he HAS the ability to affect gun owners. Like I said I have caught him hiding "military" calibers several times because he believe they should not be sold to civilians. Funny thing is he said a 30-06 is a great hunting round and is NOT a military caliber. I have seen him as he has scoffed at customers wanting to look at ARs. He tells customers that an AR is unreliable and that it was designed to kill kids which turns most people away.

I personally asked him to check the UPC code on some hollow point subsonic 22's that I KNOW are in the system. I brought the UPC code I ripped from a box I bought from that store and asked if he could order more. He looked them up and said he would not order them because they are hollow points.

He has recommended pellet rifles to customers to use to kill their neighbors pets.

He is NOT the store manager, only the manager over sporting goods.

I asked and they said they would not release the video or even the statement from the guy who did it.

I think he was saying that in context with the fact that the guy was offensive to him in every other fashion.   It'd be like you finding out that the pacifist weirdo behind the counter was a Airman stationed in Afghanistan, and subsequently saying he must have been one of those Taliban-pacifying goat-screwing types.

I didn't read it that he thinks every Vietnam Vet has a pinup poster of Jane Fonda on the front of their gun safe.   :)

I understand. There are a few out there like that, I must agree. Look what we have for Sec. of State.  As for Jane Fonda her name should never be used with out "piss on" preceding it.

Had a battery replaced at Walmart in Dickson a few years ago, when I went to get my truck it was going in circles in the automotive parking lot. The idiot driving it was popping the clutch, slamming on the brakes and stalled it out 2 times before I ran out to my truck and told the idiot to get out of it. He said, that the automotive manager told him to practice driving sticks so he could learn. NOT IN MY DAMN TRUCK YOU'RE NOT. I really had to fight off the urge to get violent and told them at the desk, don't let your idiots burn other peoples clutches up.

• Administrator

I understand. There are a few out there like that, I must agree. Look what we have for Sec. of State.  As for Jane Fonda her name should never be used with out "piss on" preceding it.

My apologies.  I have amended my previous post to meet these requirements.  Gladly.  :D

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/88586-walmart-strikes-again-this-time-more-serious/#entry1277279

• Like 3
There is only two people I trust in this world to work on my truck, myself and my uncle who is a diesel mechanic for Conway, he's been working on cars since before I was born and knows a lot, I can't trust places like walmart etc with so many horror stories like dolo's and others, I wish you the best of luck dolo and get everything fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by luke9511

A friend of mine worked at a local Chattanooga Walmart for a few years in the automotive dept. and told me that they have recorded video of the entire shop. It was there to be used against customers claiming work had not been done or workers had damaged their cars. He also said it proved the customers claims more often than not. It would be worth it to ask to see the video of the work on your vehicle if something happens. I'm not sure it it's in all of them, but he worked at the Gunbarrel Rd. Walmart and saw a couple of workers lose their jobs over the recordings.