John Wick

Spots

So was I late to the party and missed the discussion on this movie? I watched it awhile back, and recently got it for a Birthday present. To me it is one of the best action films in a long time. I loved the use of judo throughout the movie, as it's an art I've trained in for years and it rarely gets press. A lot of the throws and techniques were executed very well. I also liked that it showed multiple reloads instead of infinite bullets and seemed to put a more tactically minded methid of handling a pistol to good use. Anybody else impressed with the movie?

Sent from the backwoods Edited by Spots
  • Like 4

There's a good bit of Russian Sambo involved as well as Judo. It's a great movie and thankfully a sequel is in the works.

I really hope they don't ow it with the sequel. To many times recently they seem to make a great movie, and then proceed to water it down and mess it up by adding sequels and prequels.

Sent from the backwoods

I loved the CQB shooting. And learned the valuable lesson of not breaking hotel rules.

I read somewhere that they taught him a system known as central axis re relock for alot of the shooting. No idea the validity of the method, but it definitely worked for an action film.

Sent from the backwoods

My have to check that out. Looks promising. We watched the newest Transformers last night, that was dismal. It could have just been an hour and a half all cgi without the poor acting and been a lot better.

Transformers. Hmmm. Good toys. One good movie. The first. After that...just a waste of my time. JMO 

There's a good bit of Russian Sambo involved as well as Judo.  It's a great movie and thankfully a sequel is in the works.

That's good to know. I hadn't heard of it.
  • Administrator

That's good to know. I hadn't heard of it.

Its roots are in Judo.  It's similar to Israeli Krav Maga in the sense that it is a hodge-podge of what works from other martial arts, combined into something unique to the country of its origin, created for use by their military as their hand-to-hand combat system.  The Russian stylization is all caps as it's an acronym standing for weaponless combat (SAMBO).  I couldn't tell you what the words are without Googling them.  Plus they're Russian so... :)

There's an interesting bit of history behind Sambo.  From what I recall, two men created it and each of them had kind of their own style that then merged together into what became SAMBO.  One of them spent years in Japan studying under a Judo grand master and as a result of that was accused of being a spy for the Japanese during the 1930's when Russia went Commie.  Some thanks for helping create a viable hand-to-hand fighting system for your nation's military, huh?

The other guy had old battle injuries from WWI and couldn't do a lot of the same throws and such that his Judo-trained counterpart did, so he helped incorporate softer techniques into SAMBO that don't require as much strength but instead rely on bars, holds, locks and efficiency of movement.

The two techniques merged created a really neat and very effective martial art form.  Again, much like Krav.

Anyway, back to John Wick...  Excellent movie.  Really dug the fight scenes and the realistic use of cover, reloads, improvised weapons, etc.  It made me want to get my ass back into the gym and resume Krav Maga.  Maybe I will.

Anyway, back to John Wick... Excellent movie. Really dug the fight scenes and the realistic use of cover, reloads, improvised weapons, etc. It made me want to get my ass back into the gym and resume Krav Maga. Maybe I will.

You should David. I recently worked out my schedule to start training in Judo, Hapkido and taekwondo again, and my dad is teaching again so it's a double plus. I am spending time with my dad, learning again and feeling much better now that I am working out and training regularly again. Tha KS for the history on Sambo, I had heard of it but didn't know the orgins.

Sent from the backwoods Edited by Spots
  • 7 months later...

I definitely was late to the party.  Bought this movie this week, and finally watched it last night.  Much much better than my expectations, and really enjoyed it.  It is definitely one of the better action movies that has come out in a good while. 

I read above a sequel will come out, and googled it.  

http://www.movienewsguide.com/john-wick-2-update-photos-show-keanu-reeves-fighting-underworld-assassins/141654

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4425200/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

No release date yet.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...