A Question to all the Soldiers and Marines.....

• Authorized Vendor

While over in the desert those of you that carried a fixed blade knife......how did you fasten the sheath to your belt/equipment? Molle or Tek-Lok or something else? Where did most of you carry them? Thanks. :up:

Fixed blade knives have fallen way down in favor overseas from what I saw.  My last trip over was as a contractor to eastern Afghan from Nov 2012- Nov 2013, and I can't remember more than a few.  Just not as much use for for a large fixed blade over there as there is in a woodland environment.  Even when I was a Soldier, all I ever needed in Iraq or Afghan was a pocket knife.  Having a large knife would have just been more space taken up on my kit. 

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2
You didn't see to many fixed blade knives. Generally they went into storage after about the first month. Sometimes you would see a rescue cutter or folding knife attached to the Molle or IBA. I do remeber a few 5-6" blade looking knives attached to the drop leg holster for the handgun. Edited by Patton
I carried the big blade all through Desert Storm. That and a Wenger lock blade SAK. The large knife was mostly used for opening MRE boxes and such. The SAK got much more use. Knowing what I know now, I'd have carried a much smaller blade, something along the lines of an ESEE 3 or 4. That's really all you needed, along with a SAK. I EDC an Izula now. I don't much care for tactical folders. I just don't see the point in all the weight for a weak knife.

I mostly used a benchmade folder, my fixed blade was usually left in its sheath.  Our ALSE section would issue various knives so I carried whatever knife du jour was issued.  I remember carrying a kabar, an M9 (Buck)  bayonet, a pilot survival knife, a gerber survival knife and another I forget the brand of but its in a drawer someplace. The latest few had molle straps but all always had a 550 safety.  Most times I would place them on the side of my pack with the handle down but on a few occasions I would have it attached to my vest.  I'll try and drag out a few for pics later.

• Authorized Vendor

I mostly used a benchmade folder, my fixed blade was usually left in its sheath.  Our ALSE section would issue various knives so I carried whatever knife du jour was issued.  I remember carrying a kabar, an M9 (Buck)  bayonet, a pilot survival knife, a gerber survival knife and another I forget the brand of but its in a drawer someplace. The latest few had molle straps but all always had a 550 safety.  Most times I would place them on the side of my pack with the handle down but on a few occasions I would have it attached to my vest.  I'll try and drag out a few for pics later.

That would be awesome....thanks :up:

Fixed blade Buck knife in hard plastic sheath, with the handle toward the ground.  It was attached to the MOLLE webbing on the front left side of my body armor plate carrier by black zip ties.  Most of the time it was just extra weight, and eventually I switched to carrying about a 4 inch folding knife.

Here are two in the immediate vicinity

ce27da9410dcc984d1779a88027b8d62.jpg
2e226d373b9ce836d4eccb9c3455bbb1.jpg
d5d2eb7fcb1a7c14151a09d0ecc1f6ef.jpg
The first is a Gerber, it may still be the one issued. The second says Asek on one side and Ontario on the other. I think it's an updated pilot survival knife withe the leather sheath I had in the 80s. As shown, they both have molle straps, and leg straps but I never used those. The only thing I strapped on my leg was my M9, and that only while on mission otherwise just a hip holster while in civies.

• Authorized Vendor

Here are two in the immediate vicinity

ce27da9410dcc984d1779a88027b8d62.jpg
2e226d373b9ce836d4eccb9c3455bbb1.jpg
d5d2eb7fcb1a7c14151a09d0ecc1f6ef.jpg
The first is a Gerber, it may still be the one issued. The second says Asek on one side and Ontario on the other. I think it's an updated pilot survival knife withe the leather sheath I had in the 80s. As shown, they both have molle straps, and leg straps but I never used those. The only thing I strapped on my leg was my M9, and that only while on mission otherwise just a hip holster while in civies.

Thanks for the pictures and info. :up:

Here are two in the immediate vicinityce27da9410dcc984d1779a88027b8d62.jpg2e226d373b9ce836d4eccb9c3455bbb1.jpgd5d2eb7fcb1a7c14151a09d0ecc1f6ef.jpg

That Gerber is still the issued ALSE knife.
It's pretty large, so mine mostly stays in my helmet bag, unless we're going somewhere where E&E is a possibility.
I generally cary a small fixed blade Gerber in that little medical scissor pocket on my thigh, and a bench made auto in my pocket.

But to the original question, all the ones I've seen on vests have been with Molly. I've never actually seen tek lock in real life.

MOLLE is the only attachment system I have seen in over 10 years.  The only thing that has seen any "improved" are some of the methods of attachment such as molle sticks and molle lok but those only come on a few pieces of equipment such as the IOTV for the adjusters and a few webbing cutter pouches which have a plastic lock system.  IMHO the molle straps with stiffeners are the best, though harder to weave through they provide a sturdy attachment and since they are not plastic they dont get brittle and break.