FN FNAR Competition

Just arrived.  I was going to buy a SCAR but I just can't part with THAT much cash.  Can't do it.  Still spent more than I wanted, but this is pretty sweet.  Fits me like a glove after some stock adjustments.  Came with (6) stick shims, (3) butt pads and the cheek piece is adjustable for comb as well as cast on/off.  

Mounted a Nikon P308 scope.  Probably deserves a little better glass but.........

Gotta level the scope and bore sight it tomorrow as well as tear it down and clean out the factory goop.  Not looking forward to that.  This rifle is fairly complicated after fooling with AR's for so long.  Thank God for youtube.  

Anyway, here she is.  Yep...it sure is blue.  

IMG_0485_zpsjwrp1dwl.jpg

• Like 4
I know one thing, this is one complicated sum beech. I spent the last two hours cleaning it. Looked like FN emptied a grease gun off in there. Without a particular YouTube video, this ole boy would NEVER have gotten it done. With the video it wasn't hard, just tedious. Start smart, end smart. Got some clean towels and laid everything out neat and organized. Followed the fellar in the video.

Here's the video. It'll give you an idea. The guy is European and couldn't say sooie if the hogs was eatin' him up but he's clear in what he does and really does a nice job in the video. I will buy him beer if I ever meet him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=22XHIXcrC24

Oh! Now I get it this is a Browning BAR that's been turned into a more tactically oriented platform. That seems like a fairly complex disassembly/reassembly procedure but I'm sure once you've done it a couple of times its a breeze.

Yeah, well...it'll do I guess.   :cool:

First five shots got me to zero.  Then ten more.  THis was at (50) yards.

IMG_0496_zpsrsxqa2fc.jpg

Then I did some 5 shot groups at 100 yards.  I was gonna do 10 shot groups but DAMN this rifle gets HOT!!!!

IMG_0498_zpsue36ejxg.jpg

IT'll do an inch at 100 with 150g Sierra spire point boat tail soft points & BL-C2.  I know it will do better with load development.  

Edited by Caster
I wasn't gonna tell it, but......

I stripped the rifle down and cleaned it thoroughly before I went to the range. As I stated, quite complex.
Well, there's an inertia block on the action bars. It has two spring loaded plungers that hold it in place and it will fit two ways. Guess what Caster's dumb ass did? Yep, you guessed it. I put it on backwards. My first five rounds were a straight pull bolt action. It didn't even TRY to cycle. My heart fell into small intestine. I broke it down and whipped out my iPhone and got that video up. Turned it around and nary a burp, fart or hiccup. I took 150 rounds with me and 145 rounds of flawless function. Ejection made me pretty happy. It has an adjustable gas system so I anticipated adjusting....nope. Ejection was sufficient but nothing even close to forceful. It gently tossed them back about 24 inches @ 3:00-3:30. Perfect. I use a brass catcher that sits on the bench next to me and they weren't even bouncing off the inside. Whats more, not a dent, scratch or burr left on brass. For an autoloader that's great.

I wasn't gonna tell it, but......

I stripped the rifle down and cleaned it thoroughly before I went to the range. As I stated, quite complex.
Well, there's an inertia block on the action bars. It has two spring loaded plungers that hold it in place and it will fit two ways. Guess what Caster's dumb ass did? Yep, you guessed it. I put it on backwards. My first five rounds were a straight pull bolt action. It didn't even TRY to cycle. My heart fell into small intestine. I broke it down and whipped out my iPhone and got that video up. Turned it around and nary a burp, fart or hiccup. I took 150 rounds with me and 145 rounds of flawless function. Ejection made me pretty happy. It has an adjustable gas system so I anticipated adjusting....nope. Ejection was sufficient but nothing even close to forceful. It gently tossed them back about 24 inches @ 3:00-3:30. Perfect. I use a brass catcher that sits on the bench next to me and they weren't even bouncing off the inside. Whats more, not a dent, scratch or burr left on brass. For an autoloader that's great.

The one I picked up was working that way.

I think it is used for "bolt action" shooting.

After I learned what was wrong  I fixed mine as well.

• 2 weeks later...