glock grip reduction?

While there are some race guns in there, most of those are carry guns as is mine.  

I can only speak from my past 2+ years working gun shop retail. I have not seen ONE customer come in carrying anything like in those links, and I have never had a single request to order anything similar.

I have seen similar creations brought in for range time by competition shooters that practice at our facility; but never as a carry weapon.

I've worked firearm retail for maybe 5 or 6 years years and carried one for as part of making a living for 30 yrs. I can't count the number of folks who have asked me to change up the grip of their Glock.  I quit doing any grip reductions a few yrs ago just because I was bored with it and didn't want to upset the ATF.  But I really like the Glock mechanism and think its plastic frame allows it to easily be shaped to the shooter's  paw.  Orthopedic issues can make this a requirement.  If I could stuff the Glock mechanism  into a S&W M&P frame then we would be close, but only close, to perfection. Although I went to both Armorer's school more as a curiosity, I think the S&W is just to fiddly to compete with the Glock action.  The Glock has a sort of crappy stock feel that can be enhanced with some "work' but would really sing if it was in the S&W frame.  I've put a dremel and woodburning pen to the S&W M&P, but it is a bit closer to the ideal average grip than is the Glock.

Yup, this is definitely an emerging market in it's infancy.  Not many people are willing to put serious money into a polymer gun even though there is so much you can do with them.  I started carrying a RMR'd Glock in 2012 after a buddy I worked with introduced me to the system.  Now Glock and S&W are both offering optic ready pistols.        

Most people won't come into your shop and ask for one of these pistols because that isn't how you get one of these guns.  Most shops don't carry guns like this because they are not a widely purchased firearm and generally hurt the bottom line.  Most shops don't carry STI Edge pistols either, but that doesn't really prove anything about the gun or it's capabilities.  What guys do is send their gun or slide off and have XYZ company do the work then send it back.  Maybe buy one off of Gunbroker if you really trust the person selling it.  I really hope enhanced capability carry guns become more accepted in our gun culture so that even better guns can be developed.

I'll be shooting a competition tomorrow with my EDC gun against some race guns in Clarksville at TN Gun Country if you want to check it out.  I'd be more than willing to let you put a few magazines through it.  I will warn you though, once you shoot one I cannot be held responsible for the overwhelming urge to buy your own polymer gun and then customize it.  

ehull2000,

stop in at rural king in the next day or day or so.  We might like to talk about modding handguns.  Ask Richard and Tim, they know me. I normally shoot some modded .22s, both handguns and long guns, as well as one really cool Savage short action built by one of the TGO moderators.

Craig Harrington

Clarksville, TN

• 5 months later...

Well I'm gonna go ahead and resurrect this thread from the dead to say thank you to ehull2000 and graycait. You guys convinced me to undercut my trigger guard and remove my finger grooves. Turned out great. I should have done this sooner.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pics? What did you use to undercut?
  • 5 weeks later...

It seems you did a good job on undercutting the trigger guard.  I have done that to every Glock I have owned in addition to removing that ugly hook from the front of the trigger guard.  The trigger guard then is shaped more like a 1911 when viewed from the side.  In fact Glock did a poor engineering job on the placement of the first finger bump on many of their pistols.  Before the guard is undercut the top bump is in the middle of your middle finger not below it as it should be.  Apparently Glock's engineers have very skinny fingers.  As for that ugly hook on the front.  It serves no practical purpose.

Edited by Dave Nowlin

I have been TOLD (but who among us knows) that a lot of European shooters put the index finger of their support hand there. Odd to us, for sure.

Bear in mind that when Gaston & Co. designed the G-17 it was on the trailing edge of the initial combat pistol shooting sports of IPSC where a lot of the shooters had gone through the support hand forefinger on the front of the trigger guard thing. The H&K PS9 &P-7, both of which predate or nearly predate the Glock had similarly made front trigger guards as does the Beretta 92 and some others. Its kind of an indoctrination thing that's simply stuck with us. As much as I hate the Glock trigger guard I leave it alone, otherwise I'm forever more restricted to custom made holsters for that one particular gun.  

• Like 1