Are Sccy guns any good?

dralarms

Good price but overall Q.C. leaves me skeptical on the company in question. The early models weren't so good, later models seem to follow a mix of good and bad. FWIW I do know people who've had satisfactory results and were pleased at finding a pistol they could afford.

the last I heard their primary 9mm original was mostly working and trouble free now.  Buy a used one, you might get the older, trouble prone model, so only buy new here.   They had a rocky start, but seem to have overcome it a bit.. its hard to overcome that bad reputation though.   I don't own one, but ive shot one and it worked, for whatever a few rounds is worth.

this is a gun for people who need protection but can't afford the 500 a pop brand names.  Its a deal of sorts, but its nothing to rush off for...  the going price for just the gun was around 200-225 or so a while back, I *think*. 

Edited by Jonnin
I have only shot one and it was picky about the type of ammo it would chamber. If I remember right it wouldn't chamber Remington hp's. Having said that they do have one of the best warranties out there from what I have read.

Ever hear the old adage "You get what you pay for?"

heh ... ill pit my $200 Makarov against anything under 1k and walk away smiling.   And, come to think of it,  a Makarov or similar milsurp is gonna be a lot better made than sccy... your dollars to quality could be better spent elsewhere depending on what exactly your goal is.   An old ruger p series will be in the same ball park price and much, much, much better made and almost assured reliability.

Like I said, its "a deal", even a pretty good one, but its not the deal of the year or anything.  You are still buying a rough gun with your money, no matter how cheap.

Dollars do not always mean significantly better quality.  It depends.  There are 200-300 guns, used and old, that will run circles around a new one that is made on the cheap. 

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
I had the first model. The only with the safety.
The only issue I had with it was the safety would on occasion would fill to safe
while firing. To be honest it was hitting my thumb thumb. Many people had this issue.
so many that they even offered a safety delete kit. Mine was even affect by some recall
where they offered me a FREE pistol of my choice. I sold it to a friend cheap and let him deal
with shipping it to them.

Mine ran 124, and 115 gr rounds great. Even HP's. Never had it jam.
But I only had around 150 rounds through it when I sold it.

I entertain getting another one for a throw around gun. Like in the boat.
But they are not fun to shoot. Recoil and it rubbed my had raw.

I'd love to find a Makarov for $200!

yea bad example, they have shot up since then, the 200 ones now are in terrible shape unless you can grab one from someone who does not know any better.   But the idea is still there... you can get a lot for a little with some legwork.

Edited by Jonnin

Yep. I may go look but I think I may pass on this.

Looking only costs a bit of time and gas money with the added factor of a trip to the gun shop. If you like the gun and price then think about it and make an informed choice.
  • Like 1

Gerald is that you? I've got a CPX-2 and love it. No issues whatsoever, though the recoil is rough and it takes time to get used to the trigger. Stay away from the CPX-1, people are reporting trouble with the manual safety.

Jimmy R.

Yea, it's me. :D

Well I went and looked, actually feel well built for 250.00, I ended up with 2. Lifetime warranty, no questions asked. And it stays with the gun.

Price marked on the gun. 275.00
Box of ammo. 17.99
2 extra mags (15.00) 30.00
Cheap gun rug. 5.00

Total 327.99 plus tax and tics

So that's a discount of 77.99 per gun.

Decent price.

Good price and over a period of actual usage you'll be able to form an actual value for dollar opinion. If you find the gun stings your hand while shooting it try a grip sleeve or cut down inner tube around its grip. A good set of shooting gloves is a good thing to keep with you as well. What your trying to do is minimize fatigue and minimize shooters flinch so by all means make things more comfortable for yourself. All you need to do is run an occasional magazine full of ammunition through the pistol at each shooting session w/o gloves to reinforce actual handling and recoil. 

Glad they worked out for you.  I live in Athens and saw that same deal, but had just bought something else and couldn't swing it right now.  I wasn't familiar with their warranty, but it's pretty amazing.  Not only is it a lifetime repair warranty, but also if the gun is lost or stolen, they'll replace it.  Now THAT'S some kind of warranty...

• Like 1

Glad they worked out for you.  I live in Athens and saw that same deal, but had just bought something else and couldn't swing it right now.  I wasn't familiar with their warranty, but it's pretty amazing.  Not only is it a lifetime repair warranty, but also if the gun is lost or stolen, they'll replace it.  Now THAT'S some kind of warranty...

Yes, it is and if they continue to stay in business and honor the warranties the company will reap dividends in customer loyalties and support. Reminds me of HiPoint Arms and how they jump started an initial rocky entry into the gun market.
  • Like 1

My dad has the black CPX-2 & likes it. He's only put about 100 rounds through it, but so far it's been reliable & he says it feels good in his hands. After seeing the junk SCCY made it the past, I'm certainly not comfortable enough to trust my life to one yet. He paid $230 + tax for it brand new last year & got a free box of Remington 9mm ammo at the time of purchase. Time will tell if it turned out to be a bargain or not.