10mm?

dats82

I have the opportunity to buy Glock 29 with tritium sights and 3 mags for $400.  I have inspected the gun, and it is in like new condition.  I know this a good deal, but I'm not a huge Glock fan.  Nothing at all against them, I just get tired of all the Glock hype and the exorbitant price of most of them.  My question is if it will fit the function for which I want right now.  I had initially planned to get a big bore revolver; 44 mag or 45 LC.  I am looking for something to carry while hiking or fishing to provide some back up for bears or hogs.  Is a 10mm from this short barrel appropriate for that? Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm not recoil sensitive, but I've never shot a 10mm.  I'm about 6'3" and 235 lb.  I've shot 44mags and hot 45LC without issue; I'm more concerned if this round out of the short barrel will have enough energy to it to get the job done should the need arise. 

Yes. Get it. Now.

But seriously, real 10mm ammo from Buffalo Bore, Doubletap, Underwood, and a couple others is no joke. Great hiking gun and great capacity vs revolvers. Don't misunderstand me, I love revolvers too and have a Smith 357, 44, 38, etc. However, those are range toys for me now and too heavy for the amount of firepower they carry vs something like a G29.

I'm no Glock fan either, but they really are the only company making a solid, compact(ish) 10MM with real capacity. I personally have a full size EAA Witness Elite Match 10MM and love it. However, thei smaller framed 10MM designs are known to have durability concerns. For that reason I wouldn't be against the Glock.

At the price and condition, you can't go wrong. If you don't like it you won't lose money, for sure. Edited by musicman
  • Like 3
I'm not enthused by the 10mm but do believe the G-29 is an excellent platform for that cartridge. From the discription you've provided I can't see how you'll not come out of that purchase happy or upside down on the deal.
I love my g29. My husband and I both have one for our EDC and we love them. Mine is an sf thought which is much better for my hand.

When I bought it, we had yet to fire his. The gentleman we bought from was really concerned that I was going to hate the recoil. I've gotta say, there isn't much more than my .45 in my opinion. I love this gun and 10mm. I've got plans to add to our collection.

Also, at $400, I'm jealous of the price. You HAVE to grab that deal!

I like 'em... Consider them a 15 or so shot mid-range 41 magnum that doesnt cost $800... They are ugly, but very effective at what the do... Buy without reservation...

leroy

Edited by leroy
I have never shot a 29 but I have owned a G20. I can say that the 20 was very mild; almost as mild as a 23/19. I couldn't imagine a G29 being worse than the G36 or g27. To be honest, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that a 10mm anything has brutal recoil. It's kind of like magic with soft recoil and massive energy. My complaint about a 29 is it feels top heavy, but unlike the 30 it needs the heavy slide. The 20 is a lot more proportionate, but I understand getting the 20 for $400 is not an option. Yes, I would buy it if I were you. I have studied even the G29 and is more effective than a 4" .357 magnum with the standard 158gr load against creatures in the woods. With the 10mm loaded to the intended potential you have a slightly heavier bullet, with more speed, and a larger cross sectional density than a 357mag, and still you have more capacity with less recoil.
Buy it now! I love mine, haven't shot much of the heavy load stuff but I doubt you will have any problems with it. We both got a couple cheep kydex holsters off eBay and it carries great. Check out Underwood Ammo and look at the ballistic specs on all their 10mm.
  • Like 1

I'm guessing you have one of the MP molds, I have the 190, drops 197 as a solid, 194 as cup and 187 as a deep HP.

Well I have 14 of his molds, 3 are .401, still waiting on a 300 BLK mold to close.

The last .401 is the smooth side for powder coating. :cool:

10 mm is one my favorite rounds especially if you reload. You can go from mild to wild! My carry e,very day is a Glorp 29. I reload right up there with Underwoods full boat loads!! Flamethrower it is!! That's a good deal that you have an opportunity to get ! I have 2 model 20s and a 29 and they are great guns. If you are gonna shoot full boat loads, I use a 20 lb recoil spring so I don't beat the gun up! 10mm forums are some great info also!! Enjoy it and it's a great Hog round!!
  • Like 1
I always "over carry" for the woods in east TN. Either a Ruger SBH in .44mag, or a RH in the same. I had a gen 3 20, and sold it because I wanted a 29 instead. I never felt underpowered with the 20, and neither will you with the 29. The great thing about the 29 is it's an excellent hybrid. It has enough firepower and capacity for not only critter engagement of the four legged variety, but also two legged as well. Salmon fishing in Alaska may be another story, but hiking in TN you'll definitely have more than enough firepower.
  • Like 1

Well, ya'll talked me into it; I'll pick up this one. 

Congrats.  You won't regret it.  We have some forest property, and I recently bought a G20 and G29 to carry while I'm wandering around out there.  I haven't even shot the G20 yet, because I sent the slide off for an RMR cut, but I shot the G29 enough to make sure it was working reliable.  I was pleasantly surprised by how mild the recoil was, even with full power Underwood 200 and 220 grain.  11 rounds of that should handle anything around here. 

Cheers,

Rusty

Edited by 13brv3
  • Like 1