Flag Controversy reaches my street.

soapy

And NASCAR has joined in on it too:  http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2015/6/27/brian-france-statement-nascar-ceo-chairman-confederate-flag.html

Really NASCAR?  Your fan base is already dwindling... want to turn off even more fans?

What next?  Will CMT edit out scenes of the General Lee on the Dukes Of Hazard reruns?? :grouchy:

They are going to make a remastered version where they change out the confederate flag with the gay pride flag.

It would be much worse. Think of the casualties from a full scale conflict using muskets and cannon. Imagine that same amount of force going after each other with M1A1 Abrahams, Cobra and Apache Attack helicopters, belt fed medium and heavy weapons and M4's. A force on force battle between to similarly equipped military units would result in horrendous casualties in minutes.

Sent from the backwoods

Which would make us ripe for takeover by which ever moderately powerful country felt like it.

• Like 3

How'd that thought process work out circa 1861?

A lot of things have changed. The South is now heavily industrialized and Northern industry is "rust belted" in a lot of cases. Southern Confederate Flag against the Rainbow Gay Pride flag? Not much of a contest, unless it's restricted to bitch slapping.
  • Like 2

Damn S1. You're a full fledged redneck now :)

Me... I'm gonna see if I can get Spike's to do a stripped lower. Nothing will make liberal heads explode quicker than the stars and bars engraved in the magwell of an AR-15.

I'm in for a Spike's lower with the Confederate Flag on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in South Carolina. My high school played Dixie at every pep rally and waved the confederate flag at every game. I thought nothing of it. I stood up and cheered like everyone else.

I went away to college and my sophomore year, there was a big pep rally and some guys had a confederate flag. There was a fuss over it. I asked a black classmate what the deal was. He explained what the flag represented to blacks.

That night, I went through all my belongings and threw away everything with a confederate flag on it.

That was 1967...  48 years ago. 

I hope this post doesn't make me a easy target, I've been hunted before, and I'm not that hard to find.  I don't use it much anymore, but I have a power wheelchair.  I put some ole truck fog lights on the front.  The back has an led strip light for a truck runner.  To help be seen I've always flew an American Flag on a pole just high enough to get inside a normal door.  I put a blue Florissant light about a foot long right at the star cluster on the pole.  I'm pretty hard to miss unless your texting A$$hole.

Anyway, I can't walk far without dying in this heat.  I jump in my chair and when I hit Enon Springs,  Folks thought I was bringing up the rear of of that protest, and started honking horns at me.   I thought about going up on that hill above the protestors and sitting for a bit to watch the action.  Then I thought better of it, because if a bunch of crazies came by that group and opened fire... Lordy.

EDIT :  SPD had a unit sitting in the parking lot at the strip mall next to them.

Now my picture is in a FBI folder for going down there to take a picture, and I'm already on another watch list.  I made my first list for taking pictures of a prison in Morgan County, Tn. as I drove by.  Thats why I can't get anyone to friend me on TGO.  I'm too hot. hehe.

Edited by soapy
  • Like 1
Soapy, I appreciate the history behind the Civil War and the CSA series of flags. I'm not ashamed of my ancestors or of my country but am exacerbated by the extremist hate groups and targeting of innocents. I'm certain that's a universal opinion with all of us here. With that it's a sad thing to recognize being in proximity to a demonstration protesting a businesses decision to stop selling the Stars and Bars is unsafe in your own city.
  • Like 1

My family came to America in the early 1900's, through Ellis Island. Slavery and the Confederacy were historical topics for me. I have no issue with the flag. I do have an issue with it's removal because of its' historical significance. We can't continue to remove where we came from in the interest of pop culture and political correctness.

• Like 3

I grew up in South Carolina. My high school played Dixie at every pep rally and waved the confederate flag at every game. I thought nothing of it. I stood up and cheered like everyone else.

I went away to college and my sophomore year, there was a big pep rally and some guys had a confederate flag. There was a fuss over it. I asked a black classmate what the deal was. He explained what the flag represented to blacks.

That night, I went through all my belongings and threw away everything with a confederate flag on it.

That was 1967...  48 years ago. 

That's the part about this whole Confederate Flag issue that drives me nuts. It has no racial connotation whatsoever to the vast majority of people and has zero pro-slavery to practically anyone on one side. Yet, on the other side we have people whose interpretation is being allowed to dictate what is appropriate/allowed based solely on how it makes them feel.

• Like 1

I'll be happy to put away the Confederate flag as soon as we as a country stop referring to black folks as African Americans. They're just Americans, dang-it. If they really want to eliminate that part of our history, then stop reminding everyone where they came from. Besides, most black folks I know don't relate one little bit to Africa or it's culture and heritage.

• Like 8

I'll be happy to put away the Confederate flag as soon as we as a country stop referring to black folks as African Americans. They're just Americans, dang-it. If they really want to eliminate that part of our history, then stop reminding everyone where they came from. Besides, most black folks I know don't relate one little bit to Africa or it's culture and heritage.

I feel the same way about all of the hyphenated-Americans.

• Like 1

I agree. That's why I'm not waving the Confederate flag and use the term black.

When I was a kid I was really into the Civil War and I had a confederate flag in my bedroom that stayed up for years. I even had it put on my class ring when I graduated. It was just what I was into... I liked the time period. It had nothing to do with slavery.

Same way with Vietnam... watching endless hours of Tour of Duty with my parents. and gleaning what little information my father wanted to share about his experience... I certainly wasn't into the tragedies of that war.

I still love the WWII era, Allies and Axis alike... it's just interesting. That interest has nothing to do with the terrible massacre of innocents the Nazi's performed....

When I see a Nazi flag or confederate flag, I see history, not hatred.

Of course, not everyone is like me. 

• Like 1

My wife was headed home from work today when she saw about 20 pickups with the Stars and Bars and the Gadsden flag affixed to their beds parked in a shopping center lot. She stopped to see what was going on and heard a ruckus coming from behind the trucks. A bystander said that a "big blonde woman" among the group of flag wavers was beating the tar out of another man who objected to the display. The stranger said that he had a great grandfather lying in an unmarked grave near Atlanta who fought for the South, saying "it wasn't about slavery, but states rights." He advised my wife to head on out, as were some of the trucks before the police arrived. Looks like it's gonna get more rowdy before it gets peaceful.

Edited by gun sane

I told my wife I was going to break the internet.

I was going to get all 3 flags and carry them all at once.

nevermind, I can't see myself actually doing that.

Edited by vontar