Kids Create Salt Black Markets in Cafeterias

• Authorized Vendor

http://freebeacon.com/issues/kids-create-salt-black-markets-in-cafeterias-due-to-michelle-obamas-lunch-rules/

Children are creating their own black markets to trade and sell salt due to First Lady Michelle Obama’s school lunch rules.

“Perhaps the most colorful example in my district is that students have been caught bringing–and even selling–salt, pepper, and sugar in school to add taste to perceived bland and tasteless cafeteria food,” said John S. Payne, the president of Blackford County School Board of Trustees in Hartford City, Indiana.

“This ‘contraband’ economy is just one example of many that reinforce the call for flexibility [with the rules],” he said.

Payne noted other problems with the “one-size-fits-all” approach to providing healthier meals to students, including fewer kids participating in the program and higher food waste. The trend started in 2012, when the school lunch law, which was championed by Mrs. Obama, went into effect.

Read more.

• Like 1

I'm sure this has created an even bigger health problem for some kids. Kids will always go overboard with stuff like this, so what could have been a moderate amount of salt or sugar  added in for taste during cooking, now the kids will bring in salt / sugar and over-do it.

Just like the nanny state of New York banning 32 oz sodas. People just bought 2 ~ 24oz sodas. They caused people to eat / drink more unhealthy.

How about instead of forcing it down their necks, schools start actually TEACHING kids how to live healthy and help them make good choices.

BIngo Analog_Kidd. You hit the nail on the head. Schools need to start TEACHING kids. I don't know how many of you watch Waters on Bill O'Reilly, but it is sad when he goes on the street with college kids and asks questions like when did Columbus discover America and get answers like 1945!! I figure in 1 or 2 more generations the vast majority won't know how to add 2+2 and get 4 or know much of anything that is useful on a day to day basis. My DIL and son have decided to home school my 2 oldest grandchildren and I couldn't be happier, I know they will be taught the real history as I was taught, plus the fact they can also pray and teach them Godly things along with reading, writing and arithmetic.

back when I was in Grade school in the 5th grade I had a man teacher named Donald Bruce and I will never forget him. On our first day of school he said before I am done teaching you students there are three things you will know and know well. They are Reading, Writing and Arthematic. He made sure of that and when the class moved to the 6th grade he moved with us and we had him for a second year. Our reading consisted of reading our U.S. History and our writing came from the World History books as we would be required to write out of them for 30 minutes and then read to the class what were wrote. Our Math got 1 hours of each day dedicated to it. I am still complimented to this day about how nice my hand writing is for a man. His goal was to make sure that when we went out into the world we would know the 3 main things that a person will use every day of their. Reading, Writing and Math. I'm 67 years old and I use all 3 of those teachings every day. Those are the dedicated teachers we need teaching our children today..................... :up: :up:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1