Dove hunting

K. You have seriously caused me mental anxiety about the 930 now. This guy is getting wood tomorrow. Wait... that didn't sound right.

Also, I've still got that 10mm brass in my truck waiting until I see you next so if I make it up there this evening I'll let you know regardless whether you need help making the plug or not.

Thanks to Luke E., for taking me on a dove shoot Sunday afternoon. We hit some and missed some, but had a great time. I want everyone to know that Luke E. is a good and kind man. He went out of his way to make sure I got to go dove hunting, put me on the best shooting spot, deflected birds my way, and gave me a box of hard to find rifle ammo. It was like Christmas in September!

I've got to stop here and add that the thing that makes all of this special to me, is the big difference in our age groups. Luke is much younger than me, but made sure I had an enjoyable time and wouldn't take any pay for the ammo. He could have just gone hunting with friends in his own age group, but invited me. Being a city dweller, but having been raised on a farm, I miss taking my gun and going hunting in the field or woods.

I also have to mention that the first we met, he gave me a couple of Weaver scope bases for a Ruger 1022... and wouldn't take any pay for them either! Luke puts others before himself, and that is refreshing, given the selfish...all for/about me... world we live in these days.

Luke, thank you for your kindness to an old codger that misses more dove than he hits...but I absolutely enjoyed the hunt and comradery. Thank you for a fun hunt and the ammo.

I need to find one of these types out here in Tipton County.  I have been Dove hunting in the CA desert since I was 12,  but it seems that there is about 5 % of the public lands out here.  But it sure is better than CA anyday.

So the good news... today was probably the most perfect day to be in a field. My 3rd attempt at an arrow plug (cut down an arrow for a mag plug for my 930) was a success and the gun ran flawlessly. The 870 worked too, I just like the lack of effort required to run a semi-auto. I had a great time with my friends.

The bad news... we only saw about a dozen birds from 2pm to almost 7. This was the same field a group got almost 50 from last weekend. :/ My very first shot was lined up perfect... he was flying away in a straight line, like a radius from the middle of a circle, with me being the starting point. I pull the trigger... nothing. Wha? I look down... safety is on. :/ Flipped it off, got back on the bird but he was too far gone. I missed the next one completely, and got a couple feathers on the last one that was close enough to attempt a shot on, but he kept on flyin'. My buddy was a little further up the hill and got two, but he was the only one to connect at all out of 5 of us today. The other four were veterans, I was the newb.

Best part of the night was dinner... this family eats GOOD! Smoked, bacon wrapped pheasant, quail, venison, and so much more. He also grilled burgers, pork chops, and chicken breast, but that tray didn't even get touched!

So the good news... today was probably the most perfect day to be in a field. My 3rd attempt at an arrow plug (cut down an arrow for a mag plug for my 930) was a success and the gun ran flawlessly. The 870 worked too, I just like the lack of effort required to run a semi-auto. I had a great time with my friends.

The bad news... we only saw about a dozen birds from 2pm to almost 7. This was the same field a group got almost 50 from last weekend. :/ My very first shot was lined up perfect... he was flying away in a straight line, like a radius from the middle of a circle, with me being the starting point. I pull the trigger... nothing. Wha? I look down... safety is on. :/ Flipped it off, got back on the bird but he was too far gone. I missed the next one completely, and got a couple feathers on the last one that was close enough to attempt a shot on, but he kept on flyin'. My buddy was a little further up the hill and got two, but he was the only one to connect at all out of 5 of us today. The other four were veterans, I was the newb.

Best part of the night was dinner... this family eats GOOD! Smoked, bacon wrapped pheasant, quail, venison, and so much more. He also grilled burgers, pork chops, and chicken breast, but that tray didn't even get touched!

Well I'm glad the fellowship was thicker than you say the birds were. As long as one of them are okay then all is good.
Maybe you'll get another chance to go this year. I'd offer to take you when I get back into town but I'm not sure when season goes out and I'll be full bore trying to finish prepping for deer season. If I should happen to have time to go again I will let you know.
Glad the "custom" high performance carbon fiber plug worked out for you!